• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mechanical fan removal

Would I have a problem if I wired one to stay on always and then have a switch for the other two?

I don't think there would be a problem, just more of a waste of energy/fuel. When you are moving on the street or freeway, you don't need the fan much. May I ask why you are converting?

Could I wire the fans to the stock fan control?

You could.. But they would likely come on too late (too high of a temp) in my opinion, unless you are leaving one fan on all the time like you mentioned.

I am changing the setup because I overheat to easily. The mechanical fan was shot so I just went a larger system. I ordered a control today, I had forgot to order it. I set the fans to turn on with ignition. So they are always on. At least until I get the controller from dirtbound. They work incredibly, well at least in traffic. I am going wheeling Monday so I get a real test with actually crawling. On the stock fan control question I had, I found out that the stock electric fan came on around 210, so it would be way late.

I am changing the setup because I overheat to easily. The mechanical fan was shot so I just went a larger system. I ordered a control today, I had forgot to order it. I set the fans to turn on with ignition. So they are always on. At least until I get the controller from dirtbound. They work incredibly, well at least in traffic. I am going wheeling Monday so I get a real test with actually crawling. On the stock fan control question I had, I found out that the stock electric fan came on around 210, so it would be way late.
I was initially going to run one on the stock circuit, but my AC doesn't work anyway and all three are on @ 210.

The stock wiring is designed for one AUX fan, and if its like any other circuit on our xj's, it is marginal at best, make sure you calculate the ampreage for 3 fans... Personally I doubt it will be enough.

The stock wiring is designed for one AUX fan, and if its like any other circuit on our xj's, it is marginal at best, make sure you calculate the ampreage for 3 fans... Personally I doubt it will be enough.

Actually the stock wiring (at least for my 87) is just about adequate for three fans. (at least the fans I used) I measured the current draw of one fan and it was less than 4 amps. with 3 fans that would be no more than 12 amps. The stock wiring of my 87 is a fuseable link directly from the battery connected to a 14ga wire direct to the fan relay.

I still added another circuit for my "high speed" just to have redundancy. If one fuse link fails, at least I'll still have either low speed or high speed.

Back