• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Maybe time for new trackbar

9T3XJ said:
RE used the same bar for both trackbars, cut off the weld in bung and have it threaded for the same joint used in the HD trackbar.
Not true,major tube difference between the 2 plus the HD use 1" threads!

Guys,you get what you pay for,and the trackbar is not the place to be a CAB!

Well I have heard of other XJers using RE's HD Bracket with the 1600 t-bar. So you could replace the rod end, with maybe one that is slightly stronger and adapt it to use the HD bracket.

Otherwise Currie makes a Johnny Joint with the appropriate treaded shank that may fit in the RE bracket as well. You would have to get dimension measurements for between the JJ and RE's SF joint though to make sure.

Lastly it wouldn't shock me if what the previous poster is saying is true regarding the difference between the the 1600 and 1660 t-bar.

I called RE, fully prepared to buy a HD trackbar and bracket and they told me they didnt think it would work well for just 3" of lift. So, I went out on a limb and got the HD unit from Iron Rock.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...en=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-STBCK
At $189 and free shipping, the price is right, they were super nice on the phone and seemed knowledgable. Theres not much info on them so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Should be here in 3-5 days.

you get what you pay for i bet they send you a bunch of stickers to make up for selling you that... my self and a buddy of mine ran one of those (one double sheer and one with the TRE) they are very small and very weak. its made by rough country/rock krawler. i hope you have better luck with it then i did

polar_jeep_04 said:
they are very small and very weak. its made by rough country/rock krawler. i hope you have better luck with it then i did

It does look like it's solid cold rolled steel like Rock Krawlers. It has poly on both ends? That's insane. The bracket looks thin in the picture. Rock Krawler uses a Heim at the uniframe side.

Definitely not Rock Krawlers parts. You must be mis-informed. It's about the same price though.

polar_jeep_04 said:
you get what you pay for i bet they send you a bunch of stickers to make up for selling you that... my self and a buddy of mine ran one of those (one double sheer and one with the TRE) they are very small and very weak. its made by rough country/rock krawler. i hope you have better luck with it then i did
Can you explain what you think is weak about it. Unless they lied on their website, its 1.25" solid bar and the mount is 1/4" steel plate. 1/4" is pretty standard as TB brackets go and I would think that 1.25" solid bar is stronger than most DOM trackbars out there.
Im ok with a poly bushing on the frame side. I think the poly will require less maintenance than a flex joint or JJ and should isolate the unibody more than a flex or JJ. I am a little concerned about the poly sqeeking. Like I said, we will see.
It doesnt look anything like the RC or RockKrawler TB. The shape is completely different.

Last edited:
they most have changed it from when i had one... the one i got from them had the TRE and wasnt much bigger than stock. i cant say too much i feel like a retard for "upgrading" to a krustys TB my next one will be TNT i guess 3rd time is the charm

MGrobe said:
Well I have heard of other XJers using RE's HD Bracket with the 1600 t-bar. So you could replace the rod end, with maybe one that is slightly stronger and adapt it to use the HD bracket.

Otherwise Currie makes a Johnny Joint with the appropriate treaded shank that may fit in the RE bracket as well. You would have to get dimension measurements for between the JJ and RE's SF joint though to make sure.

Lastly it wouldn't shock me if what the previous poster is saying is true regarding the difference between the the 1600 and 1660 t-bar.

You can use the RE HD bracket alone...Just drill out the bracket mount hole to match your RE1600 track bar bolt size, rotate the heim 90 degrees and you're set.....

Ivan said:
You can use the RE HD bracket alone...Just drill out the bracket mount hole to match your RE1600 track bar bolt size, rotate the heim 90 degrees and you're set.....

X2 Ive been running mine like that with 6" of lift for many years with no problems. I replaced the hiem once.

I live about 1 hour away from iron rock off road, dealt with them a few times. very nice people. very knowedgable. and make some awesome products. all of their rigs are dd's and lifted pretty huge. they are really into articulation. so some of their stuff seems a big weird to me, but damn can they flex. a buddy of mine is running their long arm setup and loves it. I think their products are very well worth the money. well built, and affordable.

Update on the Iron Rock trackbar and bracket.
I ordered it by phone (couldnt get there website to accept my order for some reason) on a Monday, had a good conversation with the representative. He was very nice and knowledgable. They sent it out that day by FedEx and it arrived at my door on Thursday, packaged up well. The quality of the trackbar and bracket are top notch. I did have a couple issues during the install. First thing I noticed was that the hardware was too short for my liking. The axle end bolt and nut are metric grade 10.9 (equivalant to SAE grade 8), which is slightly larger than the stock bolt. The larger bolt worked out well for me because my holes were wallered out some. I cant say if you would have to redrill the holes if your holes were in better shape. Anyway, the bolt was just barely long enough to catch all the threads in the nut without any washers. The upper end of the trackbar has an SAE grade 8 bolt, I cant recall the size but its alot bigger than the bottom one. It was WAY too shrt. It barely caught half the threads in the nut with no washers. So I decided that I would need to replace at least the upper bolt with a longer one. I couldnt find a grade 8 the correct size so I settled for a grade 5. I feel ok with this because the bolt is under double shear and is still quite a bit bigger than the lower one so it wont be the weak link anyway. I also replaced the lower one with a longer bolt. Again, I couldnt find a 10.9 so I settled for a standard metric bolt. Im a little bothered by that and may change it for a 10.9 at some point but I dont think its all that bad because this bolt is still bigger then the one that came from the factory. So thats the first problem I had, hardware too short.
The last problem was the length of the TB. I have about 3" of lift. I specifically asked if their HD trackbar and drop bracket would work with that amount of lift and I was told that it should. When I got everything installed and centered, the TB was about 1/4" too long with the threads bottomed. Thts not a big deal and wouldve worked just fine but I have access to a metal cutting bandsaw table so I cut 3/4" off the bar and the threaded end. That worked great and gave me about 1/2" of adjustment to play with. I dont think cutting 3/4" off the threaded end degraded the strength at all as there is still about 2.5" of threads engaged in the bar. So the last problem I had, the TB is slightly too long for 3" of lift.
One other thing worth mentioning but wasnt really a problem for me was the lack of directions. There were none. Its not rocket science to install the bracket and TB but I thought it was strange to not include ANY directions at all, not even any torque specs. I would think it to be a good idea to include at least the torque specs.
The good news is that my Jeep handles so much better now than it did with the factory bracket and RE 1600 TB. I had a bit of shaking after hitting pot holes and expansion joints on the interstate. that is now completely gone. I also had a bit of bump steer when going over humps, that is gone now. It also feel a bit tighter in turns. I dont know if the RE TB was the issue or the factory bracket and I would probably still be driving it that way had the RE TB not started to pop the other day, either way, this setup seems to be much sturdier.
All in all, I'll say very good service, good price, quality product but there are a couple things to work out. I recommend this TB.
I didnt take any pics because basically, nothing stood out as being outstanding, either in a good way or bad way. It is exactly what their site says it is, 1.25" solid bar stock, with 1/4" flat stock bracket, The welds were deep and solid, all powder coated gloss black, two piece poly bushings and steel sleeves.
I will send an email to Iron Rock and let them know of the problems I had. They are easy fixes so I suspect they will look into them and if they see them as problems, they should fix them.

Back