• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Transmission Fluid

dam 10-30?? I would at least go with a 20w-50!

gl-3 is not thick like a gl-5, although i was concidering using rotella 15w40 syn becuase i buy it in gallon jugs for the engine.

used MTL 70w80, and it works well. label says it is equivalent of 10w30 synthetic motor oil viscosity. Only complaint is noticalbe gear noise. I would go with the thicker MTL 90 next time, or save some money and get synthetic motor oil ( but go for the thicker stuff, 20-50)

used MTL 70w80, and it works well. label says it is equivalent of 10w30 synthetic motor oil viscosity.

this is true about the viscosity. as for 20-50, i think it depends on the climate you live in, it may be too thick for sub freezing temps.

Wow, I had no idea the numbers for gear oil and motor oil were different.

Yup. I'm not entirely sure why SAE maintains a different range of viscosity index numbers for gear oils. It does lead to odd confusions every once in a while. The viscosity between oils of the same grade can vary a fair amount as well.

Back