• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

making a 2 door cherokee into a camper?

well none of the stuff is to scale. The pop-top may go flat straight up still. Ill make it work LMAO. Some how some way. I could always add on from the hatch area. Cut it right past the windows and add some sheet metal to make it a little longer if needed.

I love these threads. I know people keep asking why? but I just think it's awesome to have a trailer that matches the tow rig. From the body lines to the rims/tires. Just straight awesome.

with a pop-up tent on the roof you've got plenty of space. look at OverlandXJ's rig. He's got the roof mounted tent. Basically with a trailer you've got his setup that you can leave at camp all set up and run around and wheel in comfort in the rig without all your gear around your feet.

Perfect for me as well so I can still take my dogs and kids and wife all wheeling and have room for them.

with a pop-up tent on the roof you've got plenty of space. look at OverlandXJ's rig. He's got the roof mounted tent. Basically with a trailer you've got his setup that you can leave at camp all set up and run around and wheel in comfort in the rig without all your gear around your feet.

Perfect for me as well so I can still take my dogs and kids and wife all wheeling and have room for them.

Ya thats the main reason im doing it. I am tired of not having room in the jeep and having all of our camping gear and my spare parts in the back of the jeep up to the roof.

I can't wait to see it man. I'm going to do this too. just have to wait for the next move and a depoyment so I can pay for a welder and some other fabbing items

I will be starting on it in depth shortly. I still need to fill my torches and go look at this camper i can get for free because it has some damage on it but i just want the guts out of it LMAO

Subscribed my friend. I am eagerly waiting to see how this works out. I really love the idea of pairing up the two rear sections to clean up the front side. that the only thing I haven't been able to really nail down in my plans.

i may do that or at least try. I may be getting another 4 door that i could cut to match up with it and do it.... Ill have to check that out

THEONE2.jpg

I think the dinette is a bit small... literally no room to move... the roof might need to go up about 3 ft. or a little more... Yes, I know it's not to scale.
I do think it's a neat idea... just not enough Sq. Ft.

Have you contacted the guy that did this already to get his input ?? He might be able to give up some pointers...

Curt

with a pop-up tent on the roof you've got plenty of space. look at OverlandXJ's rig. He's got the roof mounted tent...

Okay, that's a pretty good idea.

Not real cheap, but that'd give you sleeping for two on the roof and the other two (kids?) inside, plus room for your kitchenette and storage.

Robert

What i would like to do is get a pop over camper shell like the guy with the MJ bed trailer has. I have been looking for one but they are pricey and i would be cutting it to mount on the top of the xj and dont want to spend what people are asking for them. I am trying to keep this on the cheaper side because i kinda have my DD/trail rig xj, this trailer, another two door, another jeep that i have used for parts and it is just the dash part left, my sister in law just got one too and then i may be getting another one. So i may end up making another one after i do this one and will most likely sell one of them.

My father-in-law wants me to try to do a slide out but i think that will make the costs go up and the weight go up also. So any advice you guys can think of on this let me know.

Like i said i have xj carcasses coming out of my a$$ LMAO

What i would like to do is get a pop over camper shell like the guy with the MJ bed trailer has. I have been looking for one but they are pricey and i would be cutting it to mount on the top of the xj and dont want to spend what people are asking for them. I am trying to keep this on the cheaper side because i kinda have my DD/trail rig xj, this trailer, another two door, another jeep that i have used for parts and it is just the dash part left, my sister in law just got one too and then i may be getting another one. So i may end up making another one after i do this one and will most likely sell one of them.

My father-in-law wants me to try to do a slide out but i think that will make the costs go up and the weight go up also. So any advice you guys can think of on this let me know.

Like i said i have xj carcasses coming out of my a$$ LMAO

So how about making the roof of the XJ(trailer) hinge like the Flipac ?? Use EMT for the bows & have a local awning/tent guy build you the fabric part.
You'd need to get the thing water tight when all buttoned up...

I think you need to make it a two (major) part build... the trailer... then design the camper set up... I'm trying to find the guy who did this to an XJ in Australia.

Curt

So how about making the roof of the XJ(trailer) hinge like the Flipac ?? Use EMT for the bows & have a local awning/tent guy build you the fabric part.
You'd need to get the thing water tight when all buttoned up...

I think you need to make it a two (major) part build... the trailer... then design the camper set up... I'm trying to find the guy who did this to an XJ in Australia.

Curt
I have seen his where he boxed the front in. The only problem i have is i have two daughters, the wife, me and two dogs. The way he did his is gonna be cramped

You can always build a cheap platform out of plywood and some sort of hnged frame and get a cheap walmart tent that will fit on top and do it that way till you have the funds to get a real overland rooftop tent.

Back