• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LT1 Swap into my '88 XJ

^ so you are ditching reliability HP and fuel economy for... a carburator that will starve out on off camber stuff..

you should have just said, "i didnt feel like wiring it all up so im going with a carb"

^ so you are ditching reliability HP and fuel economy for... a carburator that will starve out on off camber stuff..

you should have just said, "i didnt feel like wiring it all up so im going with a carb"

If it was a Tbi motor or newer vortec, I would say yes that's why I'm doing it. But getting rid of optispark in favor of hei is a huge reliability upgrade. And an lt1 with a carberator actual makes more Hp then with the stock efi . As far as fuel economy goes I couldn't care less.............

What Carb are you planning on running? I've gone round and round with this option myself. Haven't pulled the trigger. There shop here in town the specializes in the LT1 motors and told me to buy the Holley EFI ($1050) with the HEI... Looking at $1500 For the complete swap. Would almost want to buy a different motor at that point.. What's you take? :cheers:

What Carb are you planning on running? I've gone round and round with this option myself. Haven't pulled the trigger. There shop here in town the specializes in the LT1 motors and told me to buy the Holley EFI ($1050) with the HEI... Looking at $1500 For the complete swap. Would almost want to buy a different motor at that point.. What's you take? :cheers:

I'm feeling pretty stupid for selling the Holley projection I had about 10 years ago ;-) I think I'm gonna try the Holley truck avenger 670, I have several friends running them on various 350-360 engines and they have always worked well the places we go. Either that or start with a quadrajet.......I have a line locally on the carbon manifold for $125

I had a holley 770 that I did the truck avenger mods too.

Worked suprisingly well for a carb, but definitely nowhere close to as good as EFI.

I'd do everything possible to get EFI on an engine before settling for a carb.

I wheeled with an edelbrock 4 barrel. did every of road modification to it I could. it was OK off camber and on hills if it was a smooth transition and I stayed on the throttle. but any jostling whatsoever and it would bog down. getting it started on an incline was a royal bitch too.

Just my 2 cents, but if I had the parts or the $$ I would throw my Holley out and put fuel injection on. I can tune a carb as well as anybody, and I just am getting fed up with it. It was not well mannered when wheeling. Oh, and I would also ditch the 700R and go with a TH350. Yours is the better 700R though with the K case and the better valve body set up. Mine's a K case but the older, less desirable valve body. I just had it rebuilt and am in the process of getting it all back in. Be sure you set the TV cable correctly.

make sure that you installed the mount on the passenger side of the engine in the right holes. it is possible to install it into multiple holes on the passenger side

I had the same problem on my build. I wound up having to re fabricate the driver side mount plate to the block to straighten it out. I will post pictures on my thread on Tuesday. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1105666&page=4

Back