• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LT1 Swap into my '88 XJ

Today I installed a quick ratio steering box (the factory box from the donor car).
Also received the tracking number for my motor mounts from Novak. Should be here Thursday. Hope to have them installed and the motor set into place by the end of the day on Sunday.

Also working on picking up a booster and master cylinder to replace the renix gunk........would a booster from a 97-02 xj/tj work? think that is what i'm gonna get and try and use............

Some people swap the xj boosters. But from what I've heard its a little more work, but don't quote me I've only done the wj swap. And to be quite honest I'm not sure what years swap right in. If you search break booster swap there are plenty of forums about which xj boosters will bolt up. Its something like 95 to 97 but I'm not 100 percent possitive. I've heard though that the wj stop gives a bit more stopping power but I haven't seen the results first hand from the xj swap. All I know is the wj booster I put in mine works and it work damn well!

Got my motor mounts today, installed the plates to the frame, also pictured with the "new" steering box installed

SDC13566.jpg

almost looks like it belongs in there!!
SDC13568.jpg

it does, the factory just never did it! i would love to have a v8 xj. but just the stroker and lift took 9 months of down time (money issue). i would hate to see how long i had it down to do a swap like this.

"beej" I am doing this exact swap and I too bought the Novak mounts. I noticed that after the engine was installed, it was angled to the left (the rear of the engine was offset to the left). I was able to use a ratchet strap and center the engine, however, now i notice that the passenger side engine mount is slightly bound. The mounts are not completely tightened because I wanted to see where the tranny lined up after the cross member was installed. Still have to drill two holes in that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah I called them today. Not much help. Told me the engine was NOT supposed to sit XXXX-eyed in the engine bay. Ya think! Thanks for the help. I also bought a tranny mount from them and it too did NOT fit as the tech said it would. I was told it would bolt to the 4L60E tranny and jeep cross member. Now I will have to employ my mad fab skills and make it work. Oh well. By the way, what radiator and fan set up did you use. I'm looking at a 3 core all aluminum and dual Cherokee fans. :flipoff:

I'm not sure if you know about this yet but when you go to hook up the tv cable I believe you'll need one from a 93 firebird or camaro. I'm pretty sure that is the only factory years to have the 700r4 instead of the electronic 4l60e. I modified and swapped an lt1 manifold onto my tpi firebird and I had to get a new cable. My factory tpi was a little to short. I really like your build so far. I kinda wish I'd done a v8 swap instead of the stroker.

Yeah I called them today. Not much help. Told me the engine was NOT supposed to sit XXXX-eyed in the engine bay. Ya think! Thanks for the help. I also bought a tranny mount from them and it too did NOT fit as the tech said it would. I was told it would bolt to the 4L60E tranny and jeep cross member. Now I will have to employ my mad fab skills and make it work. Oh well. By the way, what radiator and fan set up did you use. I'm looking at a 3 core all aluminum and dual Cherokee fans. :flipoff:

I used the BeCool Chevy/XJ radiator and a combination of one XJ fan and one flex-a-lite fan. As soon as I come across another XJ fan I will swap the flex-a-lite out.

alright. it's been awhile since i've been on, but i have made some progress. starter rebuilt, got the reluctor ring welded onto the trans tailshaft, trans is bolted in, transfer cases morphed together( chevy 231 with jeep output housing and speedo drive), got the radiator hoses figured out to use the stock cherokee radiator. waiting on funds to buy more parts. next step to build a spacer for the trans mount/rusty's crossmember, finish trans intstall, install starter and get headers dented up and mounted......

hey i know its not a cheby motor, but pics of how you "massaged" the firewall to fit the exhaust? putting a 302 in a jeep and looking for any ideas i didnt think of lol....

looks good in there. Gonna plate the "framerails" more in the engine compartment or no?

hey i know its not a cheby motor, but pics of how you "massaged" the firewall to fit the exhaust? putting a 302 in a jeep and looking for any ideas i didnt think of lol....

looks good in there. Gonna plate the "framerails" more in the engine compartment or no?
no firewall mods at all!! using shorty headers with center straight down dump. no plating either, motor doesn't have enough power to hurt anything, at least i think so :laugh2::laugh2:

Back