• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering Fuel Prices

I wont paste it but we hit this in our club forum. There is a list here of companies that import and dont import. My family has decided to start buying Sunoco fuel based on this, and the fact it is right down the road from the house.
http://caloosajeepers.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=933
I agree that we as a country should start becoming more self sufficient, however it goes alot deeper into the trading of goods and such that I dont want to get involved in. I just want construction to get steady so I have a job!

I haven't put the time into confirming the research about where each company recieves it's gas, whether imported from the Middle East or not.
But it makes a lot of sense to me to support those companies that do not import oil from those areas.....Given that at anytime the current brands that don't import could start importing...
I am going to consider this anytime I am getting gas....

Here's another effective way to drasticaly reduce gas prices.

Step 1. Find a democrat senator
Step 2. Punch him or her in the face and tell them to pass the bill allowing us to drill in ANWR
Step 3. REPEAT!!!

It's pretty bad when we can't even drill in our own country OR build new refineries seeing as how they're already operating at 110% capacity and a new one hasn't been built in like 30 years. It's also pretty sad that Cuba can drill off the coast of our own country and WE CAN'T! What gives??? God forbid we throw off the mating habits of the blue spotted toad or some crap like that... ugh...

I have trouble believing higher gas prices are a supply and demand problem only. One day we're buying gas for $1.25, a few months later we're paying $3.25. What did the Chinese do? Did they all save there money up and buy cars at the same time. Gas companys are making record profits, If they need more refinerys, they've got PLENTY of money to build them.

you make a good point about proffit.
The oil companies boast about making 40 billion,
yes I said 40 billion dollars each quarter for the past
4 0r more quarters which is a year.
Thats at least 160 billion in a year.
Now just think about that for a while.
And our Government wont do anything about the monopoly
they have.
I think we need another boston tea party.
Our government representitives are suppose to represnt the
people not their pockets.

hackedxj said:
I have trouble believing higher gas prices are a supply and demand problem only. One day we're buying gas for $1.25, a few months later we're paying $3.25. What did the Chinese do? Did they all save there money up and buy cars at the same time. Gas companys are making record profits, If they need more refinerys, they've got PLENTY of money to build them.

That makes you sound uneducated. I really don't want to get into a finance 101 course but do you know the difference between "profit" and "profit margin"???

Profit is the absolute number...for example Exxon Mobiles' profit was about $40 Billion last year. Profit margin is a relative number, it's what's used to compare companies to see who performs better, it's the percentange of the revenue that is retained as profit, Exxon Mobiles' profit margin was about 10% last year. That shows you how much revenue they must generate to profit. For them, they had to generate $1 in revenue to profit .10. Are their profits up? Yes. Are their profit margins up? No. Maybe a percentage point or two. And compared to the about 35% rise in OIL prices during the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2007, that's nothing. What does that show us??? That shows us the real growth in profit is BEFORE Exxon Mobile touches it in the supply chain. During exploration, recovery, and production. The oil industry is extremely capital-intensive, meaning that it requires ALOT of monetary investments by companies to even be able to exist in the oil market. A 10% profit margin is NOT out of line.

I'm not defending "high gas prices"...I'm simply trying to educate you so you sound intelligent when you speak about this subject.

McDonalds has the same profit margins as Exxon. Is anybody complaining that big bad McDonalds is making "too much profit"??? Apple's profit margins are about 16%! That's 6 points higher than Exxon! Does anybody complain about paying $500 for a freakin cell phone!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

What's sad is if, and that's a big one, the democrates quit taking money from the tree huggers and let a real energy bill get through congress. It would take years for a couple refinery's and to get oil piped into them from the decades of oil that we got right here in America. What do you guy's think the price of gas will be in two year? No the Democrates will keep using the enviroment to scare the American people, so we will still need them to save us. Then when it get's so high the economy crashes because we can't move products it will at that point take 2 years to get it going. Hope you democrates like dirt farming...Your gonna have to feed your family somehow. And if we quit buying oil from the OPEC they wouldn't use the billion's to fund musslum extremist and they would go back to camel herding.

jonb8 said:
What's sad is if, and that's a big one, the democrates quit taking money from the tree huggers and let a real energy bill get through congress. It would take years for a couple refinery's and to get oil piped into them from the decades of oil that we got right here in America. What do you guy's think the price of gas will be in two year? No the Democrates will keep using the enviroment to scare the American people, so we will still need them to save us. Then when it get's so high the economy crashes because we can't move products it will at that point take 2 years to get it going. Hope you democrates like dirt farming...Your gonna have to feed your family somehow. And if we quit buying oil from the OPEC they wouldn't use the billion's to fund musslum extremist and they would go back to camel herding. [/quo

Nicely said.....

BruceB83 said:
That makes you sound uneducated. I really don't want to get into a finance 101 course but do you know the difference between "profit" and "profit margin"???

Profit is the absolute number...for example Exxon Mobiles' profit was about $40 Billion last year. Profit margin is a relative number, it's what's used to compare companies to see who performs better, it's the percentange of the revenue that is retained as profit, Exxon Mobiles' profit margin was about 10% last year. That shows you how much revenue they must generate to profit. For them, they had to generate $1 in revenue to profit .10. Are their profits up? Yes. Are their profit margins up? No. Maybe a percentage point or two. And compared to the about 35% rise in OIL prices during the 3rd and 4th quarter of 2007, that's nothing. What does that show us??? That shows us the real growth in profit is BEFORE Exxon Mobile touches it in the supply chain. During exploration, recovery, and production. The oil industry is extremely capital-intensive, meaning that it requires ALOT of monetary investments by companies to even be able to exist in the oil market. A 10% profit margin is NOT out of line.

I'm not defending "high gas prices"...I'm simply trying to educate you so you sound intelligent when you speak about this subject.

McDonalds has the same profit margins as Exxon. Is anybody complaining that big bad McDonalds is making "too much profit"??? Apple's profit margins are about 16%! That's 6 points higher than Exxon! Does anybody complain about paying $500 for a freakin cell phone!?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I couldn't have said it better my self! The average profit for the oil companies on a gallon of gas is less than 30 cents, the average local,state, federal sales taxes on that same gallon is above $ 1.50. Not counting embedded taxes in the form of corporate and personal income taxes paid on that 10% profit. Cut taxes, trim the fat in the federal budget, spend less.
I know that it will never happen because "as goes the governed so goes the government". Americans have as a whole grown so fat, lazy, and complacent that we get the government we deserve. More concerned with Entertainment Tonight than what the elected officials are doing with OUR money!
Enough! Work harded, buy gas, go wheeling.

Struggle on.

BruceB83 said:

I'm so gad you saw fit to share your fine education. When oil prices doubled on a barrel of oil , it triple at the pumps. As most businesses and americans are reeling from the gas prices, oil companies are fat.
Maybe some of the problem is the White House is full of people like yourself, educated beyond your intelligence. By the way, I've never spent $70 bucks to fill up at McDonalds.

woa woa woa... if you think a 100% mark up is "fat", then you need to go back to the business school you obviously never attended... that was a very stupid comment.

hackedxj said:
I'm so gad you saw fit to share your fine education. When oil prices doubled on a barrel of oil , it triple at the pumps. As most businesses and americans are reeling from the gas prices, oil companies are fat.
Maybe some of the problem is the White House is full of people like yourself, educated beyond your intelligence. By the way, I've never spent $70 bucks to fill up at McDonalds.
Good job proving my point. You just completely ignored what I just told you. The bottom line is, it doesn't matter if gas is $.50 a gallon or $5.00 a gallon. If the profit margin of the company stays the same, THEY ARE NOT MAKING ANY MORE MONEY RELATIVE TO WHAT THEY ARE SPENDING TO PRODUCE IT. Do you not understand that? If you did, then you wouldn't have said what you just did. How can they be "fat" if there profit margins are almost exactly the same?

Sorry dude, I have intelligence to go with any education I may have, the problem is people like YOURSELF who don't care to hear actual facts. They would rather go by there homemade or CNN-made conspiracy theory that doesn't make any sense.

If you are spending $70, that's probably your choice. My XJ only takes about $50 if it's completely empty. And you're right...you've never spent $70 at McDonalds...but you have spend $6 or 7. McDonalds has less money involved in that $6 meal than Exxon has involved in that $70 tank of gas. It's all relative. Starbucks has the same amount involved in that cup of coffee and Exxon has involved in that gallon of gas.

If you don't see the point I'm making...sorry, I guess you're a lost cause. And if you're looking to the White House for a solution then you are looking to the wrong place. Go do some research and figure out what a free market system means. The White House will only give you temporary relief that will help you sleep at night until the "program" they initiated blows up in our faces in the long run because that's what happens.

Last edited:
PurpleCherokee said:
woa woa woa... if you think a 100% mark up is "fat", then you need to go back to the business school you obviously never attended... that was a very stupid comment.

HackedXJ...let me make sure you understand something here. I'm not sitting here trying to throw my "education" in your face. I didn't call you uneducated...I don't know you. I said your statement was uneducated. And sadly it's a problem in America. They don't understand the facts so they can make their own decision. They hear the news say "oil companies have record profits" but they don't know how to disect that statement to see what it really means. Yes, Exxon did have "record profits" in 2007. They also had record revenues and MOST IMPORTANTLY, RECORD COST OF SALES. Most companies operate on maintaining a certain return on their business. They are not there to do it for free. They have adjusted to what is going on before they get their hands on it. They are paying more for those materials to make their product than ever before. Did you notice Rubicon Express raised the prices of their lift kits a few weeks ago? Should we start screaming "Jeep suspension companies are making record profits!!!!"??? I bet they raised their prices due to the fact that steel has gone up. They need to maintain the same profit margins to stay in business. Same deal for the oil companies.

The only reason people are calling for oil companies to have windfall taxes is because it's a commodity that's used everyday. They are held to an unfair standard that is not pressed against other industries in business. Since you obviously know how much money is an acceptable amount of profit for them, why don't you tell them how much a gallon of gas should be sold to you for. Then we'll see how long they are able to stay in business.

THe oil companies have said if something is done about the prices or their profit then prices will rise more. The government needs to build refineries. Oil companies don't want to then the government should do it, or offer tax incentives for the companies to do it.

On organizing this event or any event. Forget it. We off-roaders can barley get organized to prevent the closing of our parks and you expect over 250 million people to organize against oil companies. We are dreaming!!!!

bigjeepman said:
THe oil companies have said if something is done about the prices or their profit then prices will rise more. The government needs to build refineries. Oil companies don't want to then the government should do it, or offer tax incentives for the companies to do it.

On organizing this event or any event. Forget it. We off-roaders can barley get organized to prevent the closing of our parks and you expect over 250 million people to organize against oil companies. We are dreaming!!!!

The Democrates and there tree hugging buddies is the one keeping anyone from building refineries. For the billions and billions of dollars the oil companies have invested in pipe lines, tankers,drilling rigs they don't make that much. That's the American dream anyone with a better mouse trap can become a millionare, but now the democrates are witch hunting the oil companies and gonna take the hope of the american dream away from us all. In other words if you invent something the democrates will let you get rich on the idea as long as the rest of america says that the price and profit margin is OK with them.

bcktracker said:
its all the little GREEN mens fault
Hah!!! It's hopeless, bring the aliens, zombies, plague, asteroids, anarchy. Separate the cans from the cannots.

Back