• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowering a cherokee. GASPP!!

Think about cutting the spring... The coil is made to have more or less a flat spot on top for the spring to seat... If you cut it off then the flat spot will be gone. YOu're gunna have fun trying to get it to stay put! I'd still heat them.

PepperRed said:
You drop the rear...nothing happen's.
You drop the front, and your pumpkin starts playing tag with your oil pan..

I would recommend F-150 springs up front with 2 full coil revolutions cut off, and remove one of your rear leafs besides the main and overload.

Edit: that should give you a stiffer ride up front with about 1.5 or 2" lower than stock. The stiffer F-150 springs will prevent the axle from touching the oil pan.

x2
lower it 1" in the front, add one extra main leaf to your springs in the back, buy a front aftermarket swaybar, and buy shocks. you can do it one step at a time, starting with springs, then get good tires.

PepperRed said:
... The stiffer F-150 springs will prevent the axle from touching the oil pan.
I wouldn't bet my oil pan (or engine) on that. The stiffer spring rate would make it less likely, but wouldn't prevent it on one of those surprise dips we've all hit at some time or another on a poorly lit road.

silverslk said:
My buddies MJ we did a spring over and it raised it about 5-5.5". Come to think of it......what would MJ springs with spring under do?????

I got 5.5" on my MJ when I went SOA as well. The MJ leaf springs are longer than the XJs and won't fit.

lowrange2 said:
Think about cutting the spring... The coil is made to have more or less a flat spot on top for the spring to seat... If you cut it off then the flat spot will be gone. YOu're gunna have fun trying to get it to stay put! I'd still heat them.

Apparantly no one cares. Just voicing from past experience.

passxj said:
You can cut the stock coils. Its not dangerous or ghetto. As you cut the coils, you lose height and gain spring rate. You need to watch clearance issues though. Pull the springs and then raise and lower the front of the XJ without springs to see what problems you'll have.

Spring under in the rear will lower it too much. I'd say do the spring under with an AAL or extended shackle. You could even use a nice lifted springpack with a spring under. If all you're planning is street use, look for a 2wd. The 2wd's are very inexpensive.

Don't listen to all the Naysayers. A lowered XJ would make a great daily driver.

A completely stock XJ makes a great daily driver too. Lowering it even more doesnt give you any advantage that I can see....

I can't believe no one has Questioned what this would to his driveline angles?

lowrange2 said:

You are correct. Don't cut the top of the spring off.

Cut the bottom. I just did a set and it worked great.

It sounds like you guys all scared him out of doing it.

It'd be cool to lower it, but it's a lot of work, it'd look better with a nice set of 18 inch wheels and a fat set of tires.

Ive taken ratchet straps to the front springs of my XJ to see what it looked like. There isnt enough room in the front end to the bump stops... You can lower it about 2" and its on the bumpstops.

Back