• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowered XJ or MJ how low?

stockMJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been looking at the SCCA set up of the MJ and they seem pretty low. But I was wonderinf how low can one go with our front end before the steering becomes an issue?

bjoehandley said:
Nope, just pointless really...............

I've been wondering how well Wrangler Rubicon or 5.9 Limited coils would work on the front, not sure what would work best out back.
I tend to agree a vehical that low cant even be driven up a driveway curb
I just happen to find that picture while doing a google search on your behalf for lowered jeeps
good luck

Here's what I did with my '88 MJ.

ZJ rear coil on the left, stock 2wd front coil on the right.
SANY0068.jpg

Front only side shot of how it sits.
SANY0069.jpg

Full side shot after.
SANY0077.jpg

All told, it dropped the front end 2" (it's only a 2.5L, so a 4.uh oh may end up lower), and theres clearance for about another inch or two more. The ride is a lil stiff, but I like it better than the bouncy feel it had before. For MJ's in the rear, there's the options of getting waggy leafs and going SOA with them for an approximate 3" drop, or using the MJ main leaf and using the rest of a pack from an XJ and staying SUA. I like the stance I got, so all I'm gonna do is put a set of XJ shackles in the rear for a small drop, and call it good.

HTH.

bjoehandley said:
Nope, just pointless really...............

I've been wondering how well Wrangler Rubicon or 5.9 Limited coils would work on the front, not sure what would work best out back.

5.9 limited coils lift a cherokee 2 inches

billyjp2 said:
5.9 limited coils lift a cherokee 2 inches

Has anybody tried it? 5.9 Limited's were lowered 2 inched from the factory compared to 4.0l and 5.2l trucks since they were more of a hot rod than a trail rig. Figured than if standard ZJ coils would give 1-2 inches of lift, 5.9L coils would leavi it stock or drop it an inch.

bjoehandley said:
Has anybody tried it? 5.9 Limited's were lowered 2 inched from the factory compared to 4.0l and 5.2l trucks since they were more of a hot rod than a trail rig. Figured than if standard ZJ coils would give 1-2 inches of lift, 5.9L coils would leavi it stock or drop it an inch.
5.9ls were NOT lower than a regular 5.2l ZJ.

gregmondro said:

My girlfriend's 5.9 sits lower than most 5.2s

beaterjeepjoe said:
Here's what I did with my '88 MJ.

ZJ rear coil on the left, stock 2wd front coil on the right.
SANY0068.jpg

Front only side shot of how it sits.
SANY0069.jpg

Full side shot after.
SANY0077.jpg

All told, it dropped the front end 2" (it's only a 2.5L, so a 4.uh oh may end up lower), and theres clearance for about another inch or two more. The ride is a lil stiff, but I like it better than the bouncy feel it had before. For MJ's in the rear, there's the options of getting waggy leafs and going SOA with them for an approximate 3" drop, or using the MJ main leaf and using the rest of a pack from an XJ and staying SUA. I like the stance I got, so all I'm gonna do is put a set of XJ shackles in the rear for a small drop, and call it good.

HTH.
I know you're going to think I'm an asshole... but that's the ugliest pile of shit I've ever seen in my life...

88 Honcho said:
Did you have to do any modification to the ZJ coils or did they go right in
The coils themselves did not need to be modified, but I have the larger bumpstop brackets, so some grinding of them was needed for the coils to fit over them and onto the isolator properly. Other than that it was a direct swap.

crazyjim said:
I know you're going to think I'm an asshole... but that's the ugliest pile of shit I've ever seen in my life...
Nope, I actually don't think that of you at all. I know full well that everyone is entitled to their opinions and preferences. If anything, I commend you for your honesty. I have more things I want to do to it as well, which I know even more people won't care for, but this is my street beater, I have a 4wd MJ project as well, which will see off-road duty.

crazyjim said:

:laugh2:

gregmondro said:

IIRC, when 4 Wheel and Off Road did the 4x4 of the year test in 1998 the few complaints that they had about the 5.9 Limited was that it got hung up more easily because it had been lowered 2" compared to the standard ZJ's. Even with that the truck still won 4x4 of the Year!

here is a pic of my cherokee with the front resting on the bump stops. I wanna lower my DD ZJ by putting it on air, but I'd rather spend the money on a Ducati,..

281094578_952337290_0.jpg

I think if you really wanted to drop it, you would be better of using a 2wd fron axle and maybe moving the motor up a inch or two to make it sit as low as you can

lancey3 said:
My girlfriend's 5.9 sits lower than most 5.2s

oh someone has to chime in on this. i am not touching this one:wow:

FlexdXJ said:
oh someone has to chime in on this. i am not touching this one:wow:

It may have lowering springs. Its the only 5.9 I've seen up close so I assumed it was stock.

never mind man i guess noone caught on to the joke i was trying to make. just giving you hell bro.

Back