• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower link lengths

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My front lower links are 46" long (3 link). This puts them at a horribly shitty position for everything. would shortening it to 36" make a noticeable difference? I have 14" coilovers I read on pirate that double your travel is fine.

bending isn't too much of a concern as they're way overkill. But turning radius and mounting will be greatly improved.

Last edited:
mine are like 28" OL and work fine. 14" Air shocks and I limit them to 12". Double your travel makes no sense and no bearing in how you mount them.

length changes angle at droop, and it changes my options for mounting.
I think the double is just a general place to start not going to be perfect for everyone.

I have ~27" arms and I could easily run 14" shocks with them.

Holy hell. 46" sounds super long. I think mine are 32" and they seem long. Shortening them should make a huge difference

Yeah I think the point was that they'd all be equal length with the rear, they both meet back to back at the center of the "frame" but their position is extremely inconvenient.

46" is just ridiculous. Even the RedBull comp buggies were running links WAY shorter than that, and I guarantee we were getting more suspension travel than your XJ. My personal buggy had 32" links, and this one was in the mid 30s as well.

25759_1363797785156_3599632_n.jpg

46" is just ridiculous. Even the RedBull comp buggies were running links WAY shorter than that, and I guarantee we were getting more suspension travel than your XJ. My personal buggy had 32" links, and this one was in the mid 30s as well.

25759_1363797785156_3599632_n.jpg

Kind of a silly comparison don'y you think ?...since a custom tube frame buggy is probably going to have custom frame side link mounts much closer to the axle than an xj that most likely mounts ariu d the trans crossnember area...mist xj kit long arms are around 36 long and that is not adding any wheelbase .My long arm crossmembers are Claytons my rear is 14 inches back the arms are about 46 long the fronts are about 36 and will be 40 after the front is pushed out again...So a 40+ inch arm length is not "crazy" if tbe arms mount mid frame and the xj has a long wheelbase .

Kind of a silly comparison don'y you think ?...since a custom tube frame buggy is probably going to have custom frame side link mounts much closer to the axle than an xj that most likely mounts ariu d the trans crossnember area...mist xj kit long arms are around 36 long and that is not adding any wheelbase .My long arm crossmembers are Claytons my rear is 14 inches back the arms are about 46 long the fronts are about 36 and will be 40 after the front is pushed out again...So a 40+ inch arm length is not "crazy" if tbe arms mount mid frame and the xj has a long wheelbase .

Not really a silly comparison.

Arm length and geometry doesn't care about the type of vehicle.

If anything arms on an XJ should be shorter since they will hang much lower.

Anything longer than 36" is too long for a full bodied rig unless you're talking trailing arms.

Not really a silly comparison.

Arm length and geometry doesn't care about the type of vehicle.

Yes they do since link placement is directly dictated by where you place or can place the links..thus type of vehicle can have influence on both.

If anything arms on an XJ should be shorter since they will hang much lower.

Sure mid arms would be great , but taking a trip to pirate or any trail and looking at full bodied rigs you will see fairly loooong arms on these rigs and they appear to function well.

Anything longer than 36" is too long for a full bodied rig unless you're talking trailing arms.[/QUOT
:smoker::tear:
Where the hell do some folks come up with their immaginary offical numbers they toss out and masquerade as hard fact rather than fiction or at least pure speculation ?

Sure mid arms would be great , but taking a trip to pirate or any trail and looking at full bodied rigs you will see fairly loooong arms on these rigs and they appear to function well.

:smoker::tear:
Where the hell do some folks come up with their immaginary offical numbers they toss out and masquerade as hard fact rather than fiction or at least pure speculation ?

your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. go read my post again and think hard about why I said what I said (insert cal/geoff snide comment here)

what is easily done or what is cheap, and what works well are often very different things.

in the world of XJ suspension, they almost always are.

your lack of reading comprehension is astounding. go read my post again and think hard about why I said what I said (insert cal/geoff snide comment here)

what is easily done or what is cheap, and what works well are often very different things.

in the world of XJ suspension, they almost always are.

I read you exactly and replied accordingly. So tell me where did you pull out this 36 inch rule you posted ???...I like to see the advanced XJ builds on tons and stretched wheelbase with all the big body mods like boatsides and cage work , And you seem to be of a superior knowledge unlike the web wheelers who have pretty tame rigs but spend much time on websites like Pirate collecting thread info to Parrot elsewhere...lol...you know the kind of putz that thinks DOM tube is seamless , because it is what he read on the web .

I read you exactly and replied accordingly. So tell me where did you pull out this 36 inch rule you posted ???..
there are no hard and fast rules.
but
here's the important part:

My front lower links are 46" long (3 link). This puts them at a horribly shitty position for everything.

there are a lot of downsides to links that long.

if you can't build a properly working suspension with shorter links you are doing something wrong.

if you choose to run them that long and build accordingly, I'm not going to stop you. I will laugh at you ;)

there are no hard and fast rules.
but
here's the important part:

there are a lot of downsides to links that long.

if you can't build a properly working suspension with shorter links you are doing something wrong.

if you choose to run them that long and build accordingly, I'm not going to stop you. I will laugh at you ;)

You will be laughing at 90% of all non buggy trail rigs...On a rig with the arms originating from the typical trans crossmember area you get driveshaft protection and on a rig that is not flat bottomed you still hang on the cross members with the arms out if the way...That 90% of trail rigs you will be laughing at the owners will be smirking at the guy who rattles off text book knowledge while standing next to his short arm bolt on beauty with all premade parts from 4wp ...and for an encore he will rattle off buzz words he memorized off website 4 link discussions while dazzling the crowd with his menorized intimate knowledge of the 4 link calculator...lol...when asked where his rig is he will say he has no place to build...no welder...no 220 power...bo time...lol...pretty amazing when a guy who never built a rig is such a bevy of fabrication knowledge...lol...a true virtuoso.:looser:

basically what I am gathering is you know nothing but like to talk a lot of nonsense.

cool.

You state there are no hard fast rules but clearly state...36...inches as the limit for arm length...contradict much...I think you're kind of like the guy who has the Harley or Corvette jacket talks on the websites but only has a bus pass and maybe a Huffy.

Now go spend your nightly 30 minutes memorizing the lingo of the 4 link calc...like splay...roll axis..separation...and instant center ...and things like the "perfect" wheelbase...you should buy a fixie some tired vans and hang out at the coffeee shop.

Last edited:
Back