• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower gearing to stop down shifting?

Sub Zero

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 94 xj with a 5 speed and it's my first 4x4. So far I really like it. It's got probably a 3"-4" lift running 31x10.50s. The only thing I don't like about it is that it will do 80mph no problem, but when I start climbing hills on the highway I have to downshift to maintain that speed. I know lower gearing will give me a lower top speed, but will it also help me maintain speed easier without having to downshift? I don't really need to go any faster than 80mph in this so a little loss in top speed isn't a huge deal.

A regear is definitely the way to go. If I remember correctly the 5 speed came stock with 3.07 gears and 28 inch tires. You have gone to a 31 so in order to be at the exact same RPM (power band) you would need to regear to 3.42 (not common). However with heavier tires more rolling resistance, most go slightly higher. As you are right now I would recommend a minimum of 3.55, but here is a lot to consider (cost, future plans or mods). All my recommendations here are based on streetability not offroad. If you ever want to step up to a higher lift or 33 inch tires, you will probably need at least 4.10. If cost is an issue and you are not going to put any bigger tires on it, then finding a whole new rear and front end from a 6cyl auto would probably be way easier and cheaper due to their availability. If you are ever going to go to 33s, then spend the money to change carriers and go to 4.10s. If you have a dana 35 rear, now is the time to step up to at least a Chrysler 8.25 from a 97-01 with the 29 spline shafts.

I agree with with DieselSJ and Sub Zero. I had the same combo in my XJ back in 2008 and went with 4.10s. Like I said, my previous post was based soley on street use and lowest cost.

It's my daily for now so I don't really want to get to crazy with it. I know I don't really want a bigger lift or tires, I just needed a 4x4 for hunting since I drove a z before and got tired of borrowing my dad's truck. I'll have to check and see what rear end it has unless there is a way to tell from the vin. Where is the marking usually located?

I agree with with DieselSJ and Sub Zero. I had the same combo in my XJ back in 2008 and went with 4.10s. Like I said, my previous post was based soley on street use and lowest cost.

Since you had the same setup with 4.10s, what was your top highway speed? We have a little higher speed limits here in AZ and I don't want all the old people passing me lol

If you want to do it cheap, then pick up used front and rear axles with the 3.55 gears in them. 4cyl 5 speeds came with 4.10, but it is almost impossible to find them. Yesterday I saw a 8.25 rear with 3.55s for 30 dollars. Don't remember where though. I travel a lot so I am always on a different craigslist. Check this out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/looks-like-im-buying-cherokee-friday-1568006/

The easiest way to see is an 8.25 axle has a flat bottom.

I don't remember what my top highway speed was, but it was geared for the trail, so at top speeds, the motor was screaming. That's why I recommend the 3.55-3.73 range for the street. 3.55 being your cheapest option. Where are you in AZ?

If you want to do it cheap, then pick up used front and rear axles with the 3.55 gears in them. 4cyl 5 speeds came with 4.10, but it is almost impossible to find them. Yesterday I saw a 8.25 rear with 3.55s for 30 dollars. Don't remember where though. I travel a lot so I am always on a different craigslist. Check this out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/looks-like-im-buying-cherokee-friday-1568006/

The easiest way to see is an 8.25 axle has a flat bottom.

Cool, I'll check it out tonight after work tonight and see what it is

I don't remember what my top highway speed was, but it was geared for the trail, so at top speeds, the motor was screaming. That's why I recommend the 3.55-3.73 range for the street. 3.55 being your cheapest option. Where are you in AZ?

I'm in Safford, I've also lived in Tucson

I'll look into gearing and see what will work best for me. I won't be driving those speeds very often, but it's nice to have the option. As far as lowering the gearing for off road performance, it seems like I don't need to get too much lower. I tested out 4 low before I bought it and it seems like it should work well enough for what I'll be doing. I'm not really looking to rock crawl or anything

Most wrecking yards charge 100 for a rear axle and 150 for a front. Avoid front out of 00-01 Cherokees due to them being low pinion. Your best option would be a 96-99 high pinion front. And a 97-01 8.25 rear. For your application, you could go with other years, I am giving you the best bang for buck.

Check out this article when you get a chance:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1109-jeep-cherokee-axle-guide/

Good article, added it to my bookmarks

Get under and read the metal tags attached to the diff cover bolts or take pictures and post them to find out which axles you have. Those tags will tell you the original gear ratio at least. If you only have one tag, that's fine too since no sane person would change the ratio in one axle and not the other.

Keep in mind OP has a 5 speed not the AW4 auto tranny.

Generally 4.10 & 31's are recommended for those with the AW4 auto tranny.

Get under and read the metal tags attached to the diff cover bolts or take pictures and post them to find out which axles you have. Those tags will tell you the original gear ratio at least. If you only have one tag, that's fine too since no sane person would change the ratio in one axle and not the other.

I'll check it out tonight after work. Hopefully the tag is still there after all these years

I had a 94 5 speed on 31's.

4.10s were perfect on that jeep

Keep in mind OP has a 5 speed not the AW4 auto tranny.

Generally 4.10 & 31's are recommended for those with the AW4 auto tranny.

That is true

But a 5 speed with that combo performs very nicely, it's a bit more gear than needed, resulting in a nice performance increase

Back