• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower gearing to stop down shifting?

How did you like it for highway driving? I just don't want to go too low and have the engine running at 5k rpm constantly to get 80mph :explosion:

4.0's like to rev more than people think

I don't recall the rpm's but I drove it all the way to Moab and back from so cal, getting 18mpg. Drove it all over the place to go wheel and never felt like it was revving too high on the highway. Did 75/80mph no problem

Well, it looks to me like I have a high pinion Dana 30 and a Chrysler 8.25. I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone to confirm

Like others have stated, most likely least expensive, plug n pray for lower gearing is to get some Axles from an auto XJ, and swap them.

Like others have stated, most likely least expensive, plug n pray for lower gearing is to get some Axles from an auto XJ, and swap them.

I'm currently running 3.55 geared axles with my 5 speed.

Its fine on the road here in flat Texas. However:

1. If I had to deal with the hills/mountains I did back in CA, I probably wouldnt be using 5th often.
2. When I switched to the Rubicon wheels/tires, I really felt the extra weight in acceleration and MPG.
3. Off-roading last weekend I was wishing I had more gear. Forgot how capable my last one was by comparison.

If you're on a tight budget the auto axles are a nice boost. But if you're spending cash, go 4.10.

1. If I had to deal with the hills/mountains I did back in CA, I probably wouldnt be using 5th often.
2. When I switched to the Rubicon wheels/tires, I really felt the extra weight in acceleration and MPG.
3. Off-roading last weekend I was wishing I had more gear. Forgot how capable my last one was by comparison.

If you're on a tight budget the auto axles are a nice boost. But if you're spending cash, go 4.10.

I do live around mountains and lots of hills, so lower gears would probably be better for me. I also want to add lockers when I change the gears so I'll probably be better off just spending the money. I just found a set of 3.90 gears for the 8.25, that may be a good option for me

I do live around mountains and lots of hills, so lower gears would probably be better for me. I also want to add lockers when I change the gears so I'll probably be better off just spending the money. I just found a set of 3.90 gears for the 8.25, that may be a good option for me
You may want to make sure you can find a 3.90 gearset for the D30..

I agree, just figure for ease and availability 3.55 D30/C8.25 are the most common.
Heck, I run an F8.8 3.73 LSD in my MJ with JK Moabs/ 31.5" AT's and I personally want more gear. I miss the 4.56's that were in my MJ, minus the blown up Turdy5, haha.

My 2001 XJ has had three sets of gears, the stock 3.55s, 4.10s and 4.56s.
I ran 10.50 X 31s, with a AW4 for several years, first with 3.55s and then 4.10s.
The 3.55s did not do well going up grades, which is much of the time in the West, with the engine spinning too slow in overdrive.
Re-gearing, I found that 4.10s and 31"s were perfect for both highway driving and off roading. Driving became more enjoyable and my mileage didn't change.
If you can afford it, you will not regret it.

People, you are confusing the guy, the dude is only running 31s with a 5speed. I have a 93 with a 5 speed and 33s. I swapped in 3.55 axles from an automatic and the gearing is perfect. GPS shows my speedo reading 52.5 when I'm actually going 50. Close enough!

People, you are confusing the guy, the dude is only running 31s with a 5speed. I have a 93 with a 5 speed and 33s. I swapped in 3.55 axles from an automatic and the gearing is perfect. GPS shows my speedo reading 52.5 when I'm actually going 50. Close enough!

I think they are just trying to help me find the best all around performance for what I want. I could probably get away with 3.55s for my every day driving, but when I'm wheeling in the desert or have to drive the interstate they may not be enough

My 2001 XJ has had three sets of gears, the stock 3.55s, 4.10s and 4.56s.
I ran 10.50 X 31s, with a AW4 for several years, first with 3.55s and then 4.10s.
The 3.55s did not do well going up grades, which is much of the time in the West, with the engine spinning too slow in overdrive.
Re-gearing, I found that 4.10s and 31"s were perfect for both highway driving and off roading. Driving became more enjoyable and my mileage didn't change.
If you can afford it, you will not regret it.
It sounds like the general consensus is that 4.10s should be the best option. I'll look into the 3.90s a little more but I'm strongly considering the 4.10s

Well, it looks like the high pinion d30 uses reverse cut gears. I believe the link I posted are normal rotation. Looks like 4.10s it is

Well, it looks like the high pinion d30 uses reverse cut gears. I believe the link I posted are normal rotation. Looks like 4.10s it is

If you do that and use a lunchbox up front, you will also need a new carrier for the bigger ring gear or try to find a thick cut ring for the D30. If going a full case locker, just make sure you get the one for 3.73 and greater.

Back