• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for opinions on my xj

lilcoxj

NAXJA Forum User
first off sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. so my jeep has recently started having horrible drivetrain problems. its a 1997 cherokee sport 4.0 inline 6 with 305,xxx miles. the motor itself seems to run strong but has a leak somewhere i nor any shop can seem to find. who knows. it has developed a tendency to bog down. its hard to describe unless you drive it. i feel like it is either the fuel pump, sending unit, or filter. i took it in and had it serviced and tuned to see if this would cure my problem. it didnt. it also has a pretty bad knock coming from the headers. exhaust manifold? from there my rear dif is shot. the spider gears pop everytime i accelerate moderitly hard. not suprising cuz of the dana 35. so pretty much im just wondering what to do at this point. do i keep pumping money into my heep or do i look for a new rig? also what would be my best bet. rebuild wise i dont really know which way to go. simple 4.0 swap, stroker, v8? or new rig wise i was thinking either a newer xj or yota(i know i know) so idk. let me know what you guys think. thanks

like above if its not you dd. find a smashed up donor with a good drive line and swap the drive line. look for one with an 8.25 and your getting a better rear axle. if you can swap it all out on your own your saving much more than getting a new rig.

then part out the remainder of the donor and recoup some cash. and sell the carcass to a junkyard or a scrapyard.

i just chewed off some teeth from my spiders and i just got a set to swap out from a junk yard for cheap

What I did on my 99 XJ with 220000 on it and a very tired and noisey 4.0 is. I found another 99 that had been rolled over with 101000. I pulled the motor and tranny out of both resealed the newer one and installed in my 99. I bought a 94 2.5 5 speed 4x4 with a bad motor and swapped the axles in and got cheap 4.10s. Plus the 94 had a HP30 and 8.25.

I'd say it's time to put the Heep to rest and part her out. Either that or sell it for $500 and upgrade to another vehicle. With that many miles, it'll probably become a money pit if you hang on to it much longer.

I agree, unless the body and interior are pristine, which they're probably not with that many miles, just sell it for whatever you can and start off with a lower mileage rig.

Back