• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a little advice......

NorCalChris

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the plannng stages of painting my xj. I have a 90 limited with the factory charcoal grey metallic paint. Not sure if thats the factory name or not, but i really like the look of this paint. I would like to rattle can my jeep, which is the origin of all my questions. My current paint is fading terribly, which seems to be common, the clear coat seems to be almost gone in most places, and in others when its wet it shines like its new, well, almost new. what grit sand paper would you guys recommend using to sand in?

Next question, does anyone make a charcoal grey metallic color in a spray can? I have looked at stores like walmart and have not found much. also, what seems to be the most common primer used out of a spary can?
and last but not least, is it worth clear coating the jeep after the paint is dry. if so, how many coats would be recomended?

Id probably use 320 with an orbital sander if it was me.

Not sure about the color. But you are going to probably need LOTS of rattle cans by the time your done with primer/paint/clear.

I would first ask myself if I am worried about quality/money than go from there.

You can get into workable sprayguns fairly cheap now, and lay down a better finish that will probably last longer. Im just thinking cost. Spray cans arnt really that cheap.

But to each his own. Good luck either way.

Back