• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for 91-96 to buy - Which pkg is best?

sjx40250

NAXJA Forum User
I know you can only build a JEEP, not buy one so...
What should I look for? and why? I remember seeing info in different threads but can't find it with search. Let me know where the tread is or just.... let me know!

4.0 Given but is there a difference in ECU's, heads, ignition?

Thinking of 5 spd vs AW4. what is your preference?

NP 231 or 242? I have a 90 with 242 and love using the Full-time in the rain. I think it was only available with the auto.

Which trim package? Does the Sport always have the heavy duty stuff like D44 or 8.25? Which years are best, in this range for the strong 8.25? I think there is a thread with info on this one. Eagle, did you give a summary?

What is always included in the Up-Country package? Better cooling, higher amp Alt., D44, 2" lift? My facroy Tow included this stuff too, except the D44.

Does an AW4 always mean 3.55's?

Does a 5spd often mean 2.73's or 4.10's?

Trim packages changed sometime after '90. I quite looking after that so which ones are basic and which are the top? I know about Larado and Limited's. What are the SE, Country, etc.

I have looked in Autotrader and usually this stuff is not stated and the seller doesn't know. So what should I be looking for from this perspective?

So I think the right questions is: Which is the best configuration of XJ would you buy, of the 91-96 years, and which would you avoid?

Thanks in advance! I really enjoy this forum for all the knowledge you gearheads have!

Oh yeah, 2 door or 4 door? Why?

sjx40250 said:
I know you can only build a JEEP, not buy one so...
What should I look for? and why? I remember seeing info in different threads but can't find it with search. Let me know where the tread is or just.... let me know!

4.0 Given but is there a difference in ECU's, heads, ignition?IMHO the best years are the 91-94 and 93-94 b eing the best.

Thinking of 5 spd vs AW4. what is your preference? AW4... They last and auto is easyer on the trail. Try rocking a manual in the rocks :) !

NP 231 or 242? I have a 90 with 242 and love using the Full-time in the rain. I think it was only available with the auto. 231 Is stronger!

Which trim package? Does the Sport always have the heavy duty stuff like D44 or 8.25? No, it's a jeep there is no rhyome or reason for the way they do things! Which years are best, in this range for the strong 8.25? 8.25 is stronger than the D35! I think there is a thread with info on this one. Eagle, did you give a summary?

What is always included in the Up-Country package?Depends on what is ordered! Better cooling, higher amp Alt., D44, 2" lift? Up-Country is a littler taller! My facroy Tow included this stuff too, except the D44.

Does an AW4 always mean 3.55's? For the most part!

Does a 5spd often mean 2.73's or 4.10's? No, 3.07's!

Trim packages changed sometime after '90. I quite looking after that so which ones are basic and which are the top? SE basic, Country Middle not sure after that. I know about Larado and Limited's. What are the SE, Country, etc.

I have looked in Autotrader and usually this stuff is not stated and the seller doesn't know. So what should I be looking for from this perspective?

So I think the right questions is: Which is the best configuration of XJ would you buy, of the 91-96 years, and which would you avoid? 93-94 in 95 they changed the output to the 231 and it is said to have more problems with vibrations after lift!

Thanks in advance! I really enjoy this forum for all the knowledge you gearheads have!

Oh yeah, 2 door or 4 door? Umm 4 door the 2 doors look better but have more issues with cracks! Why? See previous answer!

HTH!

Everything Ghost said is accurate except for the part about the Country editions. My 95 Country edition is top of the line and came pretty much loaded with only a few available options. The Country edition replaced the Limited in the mid 90's models. The 4.0l is a great engine, but they had some serious problems with piston slap in some of the years. Id check out the engine really well before you buy yours. I wish I had, I thought mine was valvetrain noise and I wasn't really worried about it. Its still running strong and has been doing it for many miles and doesn't burn any oil or have any other side effects than a knock at idle.

sjx40250 said:
4.0 Given but is there a difference in ECU's, heads, ignition?

Yes. '87 - '90 had the Renix system, '91 and newer had Chrysler ignition/injection. The Renix is the non-HO version. A bit less horsepower, same torque. Renix has a knock sensor, Mopar system does not. Head and manifolds were reworked for the HO version, lower block is essentially the same.

Thinking of 5 spd vs AW4. what is your preference?

I prefer 5-speed for most conditions, but I am gradually being forced to concede that an automatic is better for heavy-duty rock crawling. Also for towing.

NP 231 or 242? I have a 90 with 242 and love using the Full-time in the rain. I think it was only available with the auto.

Correct. Only available with auto, and even then it was optional except on Limiteds.

Which trim package? Does the Sport always have the heavy duty stuff like D44 or 8.25? Which years are best, in this range for the strong 8.25? I think there is a thread with info on this one. Eagle, did you give a summary?

No summary, but "trim" package means "trim" package. There are no Dana 44s after 1988, and few after 1987. Mopar 8.25 through 1996 was 27 spline, same as the Dana 35. '97 and newer 8.25 has 29 splines and larger shafts. The vehicles with ABS got the D35, w/o ABS got the 8.25.

What is always included in the Up-Country package? Better cooling, higher amp Alt., D44, 2" lift? My facroy Tow included this stuff too, except the D44.

Higher rate/higher height springs (1", not 2"), gas shocks, skid plates, front and rear tow hooks, Trac-Lok (limited slip), full-size spare tire, external tranny cooler (automatic), and heavy-duty cooling. Rear sway bar deleted w/ Up Country. No HD alternator, no D44.

Does an AW4 always mean 3.55's?

Yes.

Does a 5spd often mean 2.73's or 4.10's?

5-speed = 3.07

Trim packages changed sometime after '90. I quite looking after that so which ones are basic and which are the top? I know about Larado and Limited's. What are the SE, Country, etc.

SE was the base model. Country model (not to be confused with Up Country suspension) was a luxery model that more or less replaced the XJ Wagoneer.

So I think the right questions is: Which is the best configuration of XJ would you buy, of the 91-96 years, and which would you avoid?

You won't find a Dana 44 or a 29-spline 8.25 in that range of years, so find the nicest one you can afford and start from there. The SE won't have gauges, so you'll probably want to avoid those.

Oh yeah, 2 door or 4 door? Why?

I like having four doors for access. The rear doors are very close to the rear wheels. If you intend to run big tires, you'll be able to "trim" farther with a 2-door.

<edit> A point you didn't mention but which might be significant: Chrysler started using a driver's side airbag in 1995, and they went to dual airbags with the redesign in 1997. Having an airbag might get you a slight break on insurance, and you might feel safer having one. The airbag saved Bill Brown's life when he was hit head-on by a drunk last autumn.

Between the beefier 8.25 axle and the dual airbags, you might consider expanding your search range to include '97 and perhaps '98.

Last edited:
Ghost said:

93-94 in 95 they changed the output to the 231 and it is said to have more problems with vibrations after lift!

96+...the 95's still had the full tailcone. IIRC starting in 94 the slip yoke was longer than previous ones, like a YJ slip yoke. Reports are that they're about 3/4" longer (ie: more slip). I ran 4.5" lift with no short shaft kit in my 95 and a 1" t-case drop. Worked just fine. :)

Great reply's! Thanks! Since I posted this, I found a shop that repairs wrecked XJ's and has lots of extra parts as well as XJ's. I was told that the engine management systems changed in 91, 96 and 00.

I am narrowing down the choices.

I would really like 97 and newer but I have a budget of $5K. I may not keep it long, less than 2 years, and upgrade then.

sjx40250 said:
I would really like 97 and newer but I have a budget of $5K. I may not keep it long, less than 2 years, and upgrade then.

You should easily be able to find a '97 for under 5 grand.

I forgot about the transfer case. Yes, the output shaft was changed in 1996 to the "external" style, and it is more prone to vibrations when you lift.

Eagle,
So I found a potential purchase. I did not want ABS but it has everthing else. Is it a sure bet that it does not have the 8.25? Is this because DC hadn't integrated the ABS sensors and HW into their axle?

Is there a difference in the housing to make the difference obvious? I have seen axles with a flat portion of the housing casting and thought they were D44's but now I am wondering if they are D35's (non c-clip) or 8.25's.

Unless a Grandpa owned it remember MILAGE !! It's the one thing you cannot replace. lower isn't necessarily better, it's how its maintained. But if its lower you usually don't have to replace as much.

sjx40250 said:
Eagle,
So I found a potential purchase. I did not want ABS but it has everthing else. Is it a sure bet that it does not have the 8.25? Is this because DC hadn't integrated the ABS sensors and HW into their axle?

Is there a difference in the housing to make the difference obvious? I have seen axles with a flat portion of the housing casting and thought they were D44's but now I am wondering if they are D35's (non c-clip) or 8.25's.

The non c-clip Dana 35s were phased out after 1989. Any D35 in the range you're looking at will be a c-clip axle.

Both the D35 and the 8.25 have oval covers. The 8.25 has a flat section of the housing showing beneath the cover, about 6" to 8" wide, that's VERY obvious when you see it. I believe someone recently posted a pic of the 8.25 diff -- try a search and see if you can find it.

http://www.highriders.ca/documents/axle_spotter_guide.htm

The 8.25 looks a lot like the GM 10-bolt 8-1/2 in the above link, except on the 8.25 the flat bar extends lower than what's shown for the GM axle.

Eagle, Great! I now know clearly!

Red9, thanks for the tip. I bought my 90 off the lot and understand the maint. issue. I would prefer high milage if it is hwy mi. to low milage around town. But that is hard to determine on vehicles this age unless you by from someone like me!

Back