• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at various steering options,,, input wanted please

That setup is better than inverted T.

However, be careful running a rod end at the pitman arm without double sear. A GM high angle TRE will handle much more axle drop out, with a rod end I single shear, you run the risk of bending or breaking that bolt.

Also, how is the bumpsteer with that panhard setup? Do you do much fast moving? I suppose it may be live able if you are running limited travel or don't go fast.

I plan on going double sheer on the pitman arm in the near future, just ran out of time before I had to head off to college. Finished the 3 link and crossover steering literally 5 hours before I loaded it up on the trailer for Colorado. Believe it or not, I have no noticeable bumpsteer. I do mostly slow crawling, but I do some occasional go fast type stuff. With bilstein 7100s out back and 5150s up front, it handles it perfect. Front is a little soft, but not bad. I have 14" Travel out back and 12" up front, with it limited to 13" and 11". The steering and 3 link is a big difference from stock on fast stuff as well as crawling. I agree the WJ steering is a great option to consider, it was just a little bit pricey after knuckles, spacer, balljoints, rotors, and calipers and misc. stuff. I have a little under $300 into my entire setup including joints, metal, and brackets. Ive heard the legality of heims debated before, but Ive never had a problem and dont anticipate ever having one. Not many cops would take the time to look, and know that what theyre seeing isnt, or is legal.

Last edited:
To run a crossover style steering like the one pictured
You would have to build the tie-rod and drag link, cut off the axle side trackba mount, weld one on up higher, cut off and relocate the factory sway bar mounts.

Yep. I also understand if you go OTK with it, you'll need to trim the spring mounts/buckets back a bit too.

I have been running UTK version of that for 3.5 years now and really like it. It took a bit to get it dialed in, but once it got it, it has been trouble free (except bending the tie rod once... I since got a beefier one).

I am running single shear everywhere, with spacers and safety washers at all the ends.

I haven't had any issues with bending or breaking the bolts at deep angles.

I used JKS for the axle side track bar:
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/m...0_925&Store_Code=JKS01&Category_Code=FABParts

I had to raise even doing an UTK set-up. The angles weren't even close.

The track bar is shorter than the drag link by a decent amount, but it really hasn't been a problem.

Once I got the beefier tie rod, it has performed well.

Why remove the stabilizer?

If you drive it at highway speeds, the stabilizer can save your life. Think about what happens if you have a blowout or even just drive off the edge of the road while you're lookin' for your non-fat soy latte.

If you drive it at highway speeds, the stabilizer can save your life. Think about what happens if you have a blowout or even just drive off the edge of the road while you're lookin' for your non-fat soy latte.
Uhm.... I'm going to opt for the side dish of "no". Hate to break it to ya, but that stabilizer isnt gonna save your live, or keep you on the road. Its just gonna feel a little smoother as you veer off the road and die.....:cheers:

I can drive 80mph without worrying about it. It drives just as smooth, if not smoother then stock and is easier to handle. If you have a blowout at highway speeds in a modified jeep on 35" tires, it aint gonna be to fun whether you have one or not. And I dont drink any of that sissy soy latte stuff, only chocolate mochas with whipped cream...:greensmok:laugh: lol

Uhm.... I'm going to opt for the side dish of "no". Hate to break it to ya, but that stabilizer isnt gonna save your live, or keep you on the road. Its just gonna feel a little smoother as you veer off the road and die.....:cheers:

I can drive 80mph without worrying about it. It drives just as smooth, if not smoother then stock and is easier to handle. If you have a blowout at highway speeds in a modified jeep on 35" tires, it aint gonna be to fun whether you have one or not. And I dont drink any of that sissy soy latte stuff, only chocolate mochas with whipped cream...:greensmok:laugh: lol

correct, a steering stabilizer won't save you if you have a blow-out...

but it will prevent minor issues from turning into major ones at 75. any mildly loose or worn out component will give most lifted jeeps instant death wobble, a SS will keep that kind of thing from happening and give you the opportunity to fix your junk before it kills you.

its somewhat irresponsible to drive a rig on the highway without one, like a sway-bar.

trail only? go ahead, get rid of it.

Ya let me keep a part that disguises the issues my jeep is having.
just like sway bars it's the first thing to come off a jeep. if ya can't trust what you build you prolly shouldn't build it....

Steering stablizers as well as sway bars have thier place. I run minimun caster to keep the drive shaft happy, A stablizer is a nice to keep the steering a little "tighter".

There is nothing wrong with wanting to have a street friendly rig that can still go on the trails with the sway bar disconnected..

When you have to drive your rig 2 + hours at 75mph to wheel, a sway bar and stablizer are nice to have.

=====================================================

Checkin it now,,,

Thanks for all the input.

Seriously,, the amount of QUALITY info here is freakin awesome.

:worship:

====================================================================

So,, after reading this article Rstarch345,,, did you ever get the final bumpsteer issue solved?

Last edited:
Ya let me keep a part that disguises the issues my jeep is having.
just like sway bars it's the first thing to come off a jeep. if ya can't trust what you build you prolly shouldn't build it....

You are a tard. If you are wheeling your rig, you should be getting under there periodically to make sure everything is tight and working properly. No suspension is going to last forever. Everything wears out.

Hydro assist ftmfw.

And you think a hydro assist cylinder isn't masking the issues in the rig either? What kind of crack are you smoking?

An assist cylinder in that regard acts like an extremely stiff stabilizer.

my stabilizer went in the trash with the rancho shocks. sway bars too. if you need a stabilizer, something's wrong.

Well no shit Sherlock. but i also check my truck every other day. jeep everyone it.goes.out and then when it comes back in.

of course assist masks it. but it will actually keep the wheels.straight when.shit goes bad.

ultimately my point is that a.steering stabilizer is a joke especially when you increase weight lift and tire height.

Well no shit Sherlock. but i also check my truck every other day. jeep everyone it.goes.out and then when it comes back in.

of course assist masks it. but it will actually keep the wheels.straight when.shit goes bad.

ultimately my point is that a.steering stabilizer is a joke especially when you increase weight lift and tire height.

I've run with and without the stabilizer, it is better with it. I didn't notice a difference in steering feel. But the added security is a good thing.

I had a rod end go bad on a wheeling trip but since I had no SS I couldn't drive home past 35 mph. The rod end hadn't failed, it was just loose enough to cause DW. I had a spare of course, but I had to spend 2 extra hours swapping it out on the side of the road.

Inversely, when I ran the rubicon, with a steering stabilizer, I killed the same rod end on day 2. I knew it was worn, the injection races had pushed out, so the ball had play. The end wasn't in danger of failing, and because of the SS I was able to drive the rig 500 miles home.

my stabilizer went in the trash with the rancho shocks. sway bars too. if you need a stabilizer, something's wrong.
That's fine for your rig, you don't highway drive it much, an now you tow it... But I think you would be happy with an OffRoad sway bar than no bar at all.

That's so smart. Why take something.off that lets you drive hundreds of miles home with bad parts.
I dunno. maybe because knowingly doing.that makes you an ass. you should have fixed it.

i drive mine on the highway all the time, i have a daily driver but i like driving the heep better so i usually do. it drives better with my steering setup than it did with the stock setup and stabilizer.
as for a sway bar, i'd only put one on if it helped me offroad.

I don't understand the impassioned opposition to steering dampeners.

Any energy absorbed by that dampener is energy that is otherwise absorbed by steering components or you if you don't run a dampener.

I just don't see how dampening some of that energy is a bad thing.

i drive mine on the highway all the time, i have a daily driver but i like driving the heep better so i usually do. it drives better with my steering setup than it did with the stock setup and stabilizer.
as for a sway bar, i'd only put one on if it helped me offroad.

I guarantee you that if you put a stabilizer on you wouldn't notice it. I never said your setup wasn't good. I like your setup, personally I think you would have been better served with 44 outers and high steer arms than WJ. But it's your rig...

As far as the sway bar thing goes, it's a seperate argument, but mine is only there for street driving. It gets disconnected for trail use. When I can afford it, I'll be putting antirock up front.

That's so smart. Why take something.off that lets you drive hundreds of miles home with bad parts.
I dunno. maybe because knowingly doing.that makes you an ass. you should have fixed it.
The joint wasn't in danger of failure, it was just a bit loose like any worn out bushing or end.

Hell, DW can be causes by just about anything. Tires out of balance, sector shaft play in the steering box, etc. many of those things cannot be fixed on the side of the road 500 miles from home. Of course I got under the rig and checked for major issues. I even pulled both drums because they were so full of mud the adjusters stopped working.

Back