• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Arm question (TNT .... Rock Krawler PLUS system)

uncc civilengineer said:
RK prices are from a vendon we use around here.. AND, I actually just ordered the Rock Krawler LA upgrade for $387.00 shipped.. and some Precision 4.56's w/ carrier and install kits for 489.00 shipped...
What's the name of this shop? I want to know where I can get the RK upgrade for <400 bucks shipped. (I've contemplated getting this kit for a year, and if I can get it for 400 bucks I'll probably go for it)

redsand187 said:
What's the name of this shop? I want to know where I can get the RK upgrade for <400 bucks shipped. (I've contemplated getting this kit for a year, and if I can get it for 400 bucks I'll probably go for it)

X2...send me a PM I plan to buy this right after X-mas

BrettM said:
do you ever like pretending you race JeepSpeed? yes, go full-traction. no, go TnT.

the RE longarm is a terrible design and would be my absolute last choice for longarms.

shocks... I don't have enough experience to say, but 5150s and 7100s are both great shocks. again, if you like playing JeepSpeed I would go with resevoir 7100s.

Brett,

as far as pretending to race jeepspeed, what about daily driving on the interstate. I know it isnt the abuse of jeepspeed, but it is going fast.

also, do you think the full-traction kit does rocks well enough, or the TNT kit doing daily driver duties (alliteration for ya)?

lastly, anyone who has installed the TNT kit, what have you done about rock sliders mounted to the frame rails? has the TNT kit interfered with your rock sliders?

$387 shipped is cheap. I got mine for $425 shipped. I love my RK long arms. I have their new bent long arms. They ride so much better then having the short arms. They flex awsome too. I have some recent wheelin trips to PAP with the LAs. I will post the pics within a day or two.

NCCherokee said:
Brett,

as far as pretending to race jeepspeed, what about daily driving on the interstate. I know it isnt the abuse of jeepspeed, but it is going fast.

also, do you think the full-traction kit does rocks well enough, or the TNT kit doing daily driver duties (alliteration for ya)?

It won't matter on the interstate. They both have good angles so they will take bumps well. The difference is that the FT is a 4 link versus a radius arm, so it will have better caster through suspension travel, but you won't get enough suspension travel on the interstate to notice.

The FT will do rocks just fine, except the worse ground clearance. Capt. Nemo on the board here recently sold his FT kit in order to put on the TnT, mainly because of the better clearance since he wheels trails like the Rubicon.

thats pretty much what i expected to hear ya say, but more convincing coming from people who know a little more about than myself.

NCCherokee said:
Brett,

lastly, anyone who has installed the TNT kit, what have you done about rock sliders mounted to the frame rails? has the TNT kit interfered with your rock sliders?

I have AJ's sliders and they worked out perfect with my TNT kit. Nothing got in the way of each other.

I've done a fair amount of research on the FT RK Rusy's TNT RE. All have there claims. What you get is usually another story. Will a guy like me ever notice a little ground clearance loss? maybe.
I've heard in a couple of instances where people have said that FT has a loss of ground clearance but I ave yet to see it.
RK mounds in the exact same location maybe an inch or two forward but it still mounts on the rail like FT.
FT just has a steel slider so the joint is protected.
The four link I think is better than the Y ling in that the Y link will act like a huge tortion bar.
The three link has no bind but in my opinion doesnt have that safety factor of a four link nor does the Y link because it's not attached at all in the upers. So is that a two link? No but you get my point.

the angle of the arms combined with the right springs and shocks = ride quality.
Just my two cents

BrettM said:
It won't matter on the interstate. They both have good angles so they will take bumps well. The difference is that the FT is a 4 link versus a radius arm, so it will have better caster through suspension travel, but you won't get enough suspension travel on the interstate to notice.

The FT will do rocks just fine, except the worse ground clearance. Capt. Nemo on the board here recently sold his FT kit in order to put on the TnT, mainly because of the better clearance since he wheels trails like the Rubicon.

Not trying to be a poop...

can you explain how the caster difference is better for the fast stuff with the FT kit? Is it just the effect on steering at the extremes of travel? For a 2WD i would think it wouldnt matter, but what about the DS on a 4WD at full droop with the FT setup?

Thanks

nobody has mentioned claytons.... perhaps they're now officially outdated?

NCCherokee said:
Brett,

I've got Rocky Road's sliders and put the TNT kit on about 6 weeks ago: no interference. The front connection on the slider is about 6" forward of the front "through the rail" mounting points on the belly pan.

jjvande said:
can you explain how the caster difference is better for the fast stuff with the FT kit? Is it just the effect on steering at the extremes of travel? For a 2WD i would think it wouldnt matter, but what about the DS on a 4WD at full droop with the FT setup?

Thanks

nobody has mentioned claytons.... perhaps they're now officially outdated?

radius arms are better for driveshaft angles. 3/4 link is better for caster.

with radius arms the caster decreases with droop and you could quite easily attain negative caster when jumping. the steering won't track as well in that case. for the average wannabe race (like me), you would probably never even notice.

So for a guy that sees virtually no rocks, just mud, mud pits, hill climbs and water crossings, and spends alot of time on the road, Full Traction would be his best bet?
(Ok, I'm not gonna lie, sometimes I do pretend to be a Jeepspeeder.....but no jumping I swear)

Ive run the full traction set-up for about 6 months now so ill give you my honest shake down of it. When i first got the kit on i really wasnt all that impressed with the ride quality(rode about the same as my 3inch on stock arms :( ) the leafs were very hard and bouncy at first but after about a month with alot of weight in the rear its calmed down alot and after addressing some shock and bumpstop issues the ride is pretty comfy for my daily driver. The selling point for me was the four link up front versus a radius arm set-up. On road i can travel 75mph with confidence and she drives straight as an arrow so there is no pucker factor on the drive to the trail. What my jeep does on the trail is the payoff for me. My first time out with this kit was amazing,lines and obstacles ive never taken before were a cake walk with the way the kit flexes both in the front and rear and it does it without and moans or pops form the suspension. Yes the arms hang low but ive never hung up on them yet and to me its really not that big of concern but the do hang down aways. It may take a little bit of tweaking to get it just the way you want but when it works right it works great!

89jeepxjw said:
the leafs were very hard and bouncy at first but after about a month with alot of weight in the rear its calmed down alot and after addressing some shock and bumpstop issues the ride is pretty comfy for my daily driver.

Okay, tell us more...What did you do to tweak your shocks and bumpstops in order to dial them in to your satisfaction?

Back