• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locked front driveability in snow

cp2295

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I was curious what everyone's opinion is about having a locker vs lsd vs open front diff for snow wheeling. I've looked all over and have found a few threads but all are contradicting and don't have the same questions I do. I mainly like rocks and snow, trails are fun but as far as straight up mudding goes I'll pass. Should I do a lunchbox locker in the front? Should I do a true trac? What about a full on Detroit auto locker? I'm thinking a selectable is out of my price range, granted it would be killer to have. The rear is welded and it's gonna stay that way for a while. I like to do get into some pretty deep snow, fresh snow though. Just wondering how it will do with a locked front. Also how will the axleshafts and carrier hold up

Thanks and happy new year everyone

Just get a spartan locker and keep your spider gears in case you don't like it. My snow experience has never been anything over a foot of snow but my Aussie locker in the front didn't hurt anything. Especially if you are on rocks don't bother with limited slip differentials.

Carriers become a weak point but be smart with the throttle and you can make every trip on the trail uneventful. Never had issues with my Dana 30 on 33s-35s

I'd save my money for a selectable. Nothing like being able to lock it up when needed. I run open in snow most of the time but when forward (or rearward) motion gets difficult I lock things up, nothing like it.
Auto lockers cause tricky driving conditions in snow, I had a Bronco with auto lockers years ago & while great in mud, it provided for some scary driving when the front would lock up unexpectedly. I'd stay away from auto lockers, especially in the front axle.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Your kind of asking a loaded question! Packed snow street driving your better off with out a lock up or limited slip up front for getting around town! If your locked then you should run chains on front! If your on the trail in snow, nothing beats a locker and if you need chains put them on front, the rears will slip enough to compensate for the pull of the locker, kinda like having a twin stick t-case and disengaging the rear! I have lockers front and rear, I also plow snow for the state and I drive in the snow as much as possible for leisure! If I need the chains I chain up front 1st then rears if it's too deep!

I have driven in the snow and ice with two different variations. When I first purchased my 92 it had an open 30 and a LSD 35. No amount of snow or ice could stop it. We had 12" of snow, two different times in one week. It was a beast and was unstoppable in the snow or on the rocks.

Now I'm running auto lock 30 and open '98 C8.25. I needed to rebuild the front anyway so in went a cheap auto locker and the 35 was bent bad so I installed a salvage 8.25.

The drive on the ice is a bit sketchy. The front wants to wander around a bit, but as long as you watch your throttle control you can get there. The snow is much the same as the ice but with more traction. For trail riding and rock running it works as advertised.

With that said, if I had it to do again and had the money,(hence the auto locker)I would go another route. I would steer clear of the auto and go with a selectable in the front and a LSD or selectable in the rear.

Tires also have a great deal to do with snow and ice traction.

My $.02

Last edited:
X2 on saving for the selectable. I have noticed many times on trails that it performs better with it unlocked, mainly because you lose all steering when it's locked.

X2 on saving for the selectable. I have noticed many times on trails that it performs better with it unlocked, mainly because you lose all steering when it's locked.

thats a bit of an exaggeration isnt it?

driving a selectable locker in slippery conditions is definitely a different animal than an open differential. but it is also predictable. i found that in icy conditions, the vehicle has a tendency to understeer while on throttle and in a turn. slow down, problem solved. in fluffier condition and deep pow, ive never told myself, "damn, i wish i had an open diff." the locker has always helped to add forward momentum.

there can be some stuff said about wheeling with a locker in snow though... if im breaking trail, i want to be locked. no questions asked. 99% of the time, i want to be locked. turning has never been an issue. the only benefit of an open differential i can see would be in side hill/slippery conditions. spinning both tires breaks traction and gravity decides where you go. the open differential offers a little more lateral stability.

Back