• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locked Front Consensus from Those Who Know

hman333 said:
might as well just do a 44
Yes and no..... D44 will still share one of the weak points with the 30: ujoints. To me, the main reasons to go to a 44 would be for locking hubs and high steer and gears deeper then 4.88. Anyways, I know people who wheel a 30 and not break it on 35's and those who wheel a 30 on 31's and keep popping shafts.....

Anyone else who has driven on snow/ice in 2wd and 4wd with a front locker?

I am fine with any "odd" handling myself, it is my wife the few times she drives it that worries me... would you guys with front locker's toss the keys to your wife, mom, daugter, or goof brother-in-law in the snow/ice?

Thanks allot for your input... as always, your reply's will build my XJ accordingly.

Jason

Red97XJ said:
Anyone else who has driven on snow/ice in 2wd and 4wd with a front locker?

I am fine with any "odd" handling myself, it is my wife the few times she drives it that worries me... would you guys with front locker's toss the keys to your wife, mom, daugter, or goof brother-in-law in the snow/ice?

Thanks allot for your input... as always, your reply's will build my XJ accordingly.

Jason
NO. That's why she has a Durango. If she has to drive an XJ, she takes the 92 with the 242. JIM.

I guess, really, I wouldn't let anyone drive my XJ in the snow/ice, but just wondered how you guys felt about how big of difference.

sounds like I will be getting a front locker.

Now the big Q, which one?

Ya, ya, I will search, but if your bored, pipe up which one ya bought AND why! (for a D30HP)

Red97XJ said:
I guess, really, I wouldn't let anyone drive my XJ in the snow/ice, but just wondered how you guys felt about how big of difference.

sounds like I will be getting a front locker.

Now the big Q, which one?

Ya, ya, I will search, but if your bored, pipe up which one ya bought AND why! (for a D30HP)

Aussie locker. I love mine... no problems with it, and NO TIRE SIZE RESTRICTIONS!

Not to mention cheaper than most the others.

So, why is the Aussie less if it has no tire size limits. (meaning I assume its stronger?)

I know I can search, but are most of these driveway installs?

Red97XJ said:
So, why is the Aussie less if it has no tire size limits. (meaning I assume its stronger?)

I know I can search, but are most of these driveway installs?

Not sure why it doesn't have size limits, and not sure on it's strength. I just know it hasn't broken in mine.

Driveway installs are going to be lunchbox types, such as the aussie. You basically assemble the locker, pull the axle shafts, and replace the spider gears with the locker. Basic tools are all that's required, really. Only takes about 2 hours to do them.

Back