• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lighters banned on airlines

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
OH man, is there some department in the govt that is paid to come up with really really stupid ideas.... is there some kind of awards dinner for the best stupid idea of the year, does the award look like this :moon: only in plastic.
Why not just knock all the crap off and have EVERYONE who boards an aircraft do so in the nude including crew....
I mean WTF....

didn't they say you can carry up to four matchbooks but not lighters?

A bic lighter and a few matches combined with a metal watch band wrapped in tape or tin foil is a quite potant bomb.

Many soldiers in Viet Nam where killed and injured by bic lighter and nail bomb

I saw on discovery channel

not to mention laptop/cellphone batteries...they contain lithium...highly reactive metal

take a fully charged laptop battery...puncture through it with something metal and you've got a flaming frisbee of death:flame:

I've already been hassled wearing my USN beltbuckle, the ones with the submarines I've served on. Now the Ronson's from those same boats are illegal, it's not just butane lighters.

Thats because a lighter could be used to damage wiring, set upholstery etc on fire.

ITs because of an incidnet a few months ago a disturbed passenger tried toset the plane on fire in the toilet,. cant find the lin now though

yeah I couldn't get past the screeners last time with my old green jungle boots

i was going to put my kids on the plane and they held them at x-ray

even showed them my active duty id and everything

but they missed a pair of scissors in my daughters backpack (she didn't remember to leave them at home and saw them digging for some gum)

heh.

It was brought about by that idiot from England who had explosives in his sneakers and his lighter failed to work so he then tried matches and almost succeeded. They should have taken him out on the tarmac after landing and THEN lit them, while they were on his feet. No check that, then he'd be collecting disability and file a big lawsuit...and probably win...

RichP said:
It was brought about by that idiot from England who had explosives in his sneakers and his lighter failed to work so he then tried matches and almost succeeded. They should have taken him out on the tarmac after landing and THEN lit them, while they were on his feet. No check that, then he'd be collecting disability and file a big lawsuit...and probably win...

Ya know none of these measure bother me, its better than a possible alternative

Grin and bear it and giggle about the situation, what else can ya do

Simple, I avoid traveling as much as possible, prefer driving or train vs sitting in a seat made for a 12yo. I remember in the 60's marines who were on PCS orders carrying their M14's onboad with them. I guess I'm one of the shrinking minority that believes you personally have some responsibiltiy for your own personal safety and that uncle sam needs to stay out of alot of stuff they are getting into. I know that if someone tried to hijack an aircraft I was on with fingernail clippers or 2" pocket knife I'd feed it to them with the pointy ends open.
Curious if it will be my kids or my grandchildren that will have to bear the brunt of embedded RFID tags.

RichP said:
Simple, I avoid traveling as much as possible, prefer driving or train vs sitting in a seat made for a 12yo. I remember in the 60's marines who were on PCS orders carrying their M14's onboad with them. I guess I'm one of the shrinking minority that believes you personally have some responsibiltiy for your own personal safety and that uncle sam needs to stay out of alot of stuff they are getting into. I know that if someone tried to hijack an aircraft I was on with fingernail clippers or 2" pocket knife I'd feed it to them with the pointy ends open.
Curious if it will be my kids or my grandchildren that will have to bear the brunt of embedded RFID tags.

point taken and appreciated.

GSequoia said:
WTF was wrong with the boots?!

All my issue panamas have steel plates in the soles, punji stakes.

GSequoia said:
Understood, but a lot of mens shoes have steel spines - I was surprised to learn that two different pair of lame dress shoes set off the detectors.

Damn paranoia!

Not paranoia, they are just getting us mentally conditioned to this stuff so when it comes time to take it to the next level we won't baaaaa too much...

It only takes a relatively small amount of explosives to bring down a plane. Remember Richard Reid tried to light his gym shoes on fire with a match book. Also, Al-Queda had a plot to use lighters and wristwatch batteries to bring down several commercial airliners over the pacific prior to 9-11. I don't think we are being snowed by the goverment on this one.

That party-line said...I don't understand why there is not a system to check this stuff at the gate and pick it up when deplaning? The costs would probably be incredilbly burdensome and passed on to all travelers is my only thought preventing it.

The last time I flew home from ROK on a MAC charter, the marines flying on-board carried their weapons, but a part of the mechanism had been removed and collected prior to boarding. They still had their bayonets though.

Boatwrench said:
It only takes a relatively small amount of explosives to bring down a plane. Remember Richard Reid tried to light his gym shoes on fire with a match book. Also, Al-Queda had a plot to use lighters and wristwatch batteries to bring down several commercial airliners over the pacific prior to 9-11. I don't think we are being snowed by the goverment on this one.

That party-line said...I don't understand why there is not a system to check this stuff at the gate and pick it up when deplaning? The costs would probably be incredilbly burdensome and passed on to all travelers is my only thought preventing it.

The last time I flew home from ROK on a MAC charter, the marines flying on-board carried their weapons, but a part of the mechanism had been removed and collected prior to boarding. They still had their bayonets though.

Its called put in in our luggage but your carry on. TIs not that you cant fly with tat stuff just not with you on your person or carry on.

I don't remember his name exactly, but there was a Medal of Honor recipient that was told he could not wear his Medal on board because of the pointy ends.

Just like what was said...conditioning for National IDs...the balck helicopters have already arrived!

Fergie

Back