• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifted 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport In INDIANA

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
This is my daily driver. It has just over 147,000 miles on it. I am the second owner, and the only mechanical things that have needed replaced were the water pump, radiator, starter, and battery -- and all of those were at well over 100,000 miles. It has great heat and AC. Both myself and the original owner have changed the oil every 3,000 miles. It is the most dependable vehicle I've owned in 24 years of driving. The only time it has been off pavement is in smooth cattle pastures during deer season. This XJ is located in southern Indiana about halfway between Indianapolis, IN and Louisville, KY.

13006DavidJeep_008_Resize.jpg

Specs:

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L H.O. engine
AW4 automatic transmission
AMC (Dana) 30 front differential (3.50:1)
Chrysler 8.25" rear differential (3.50:1)
NP231 transfer case
Advanced Adapters Heavy Duty slip yoke eliminator
Tom Wood custom double cardan driveshaft
Rubicon Express 3.5" Super-Flex lift kit (netted 5")
Rubicon Express .75" coil spacers
Rubicon Express Generation 2 disconnects
Old Man Emu nitrogen-charged shocks
Rubicon Express adjustable track bar
Torq Flo 10,000# transmission cooler
31-tooth factory speedometer gear
32X11.50X15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A KO tires
Cragar 15X8 Soft 8 wheels with 4" backspacing
Optima "Red Top" battery (brand new)

Kelley Blue Book values it at $3140 for good condition IN STOCK FORM:

"Good condition means the vehicle is free of any major defects. Clean title history, the paints, body, and interior have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical problems. Little or no rust on this vehicle.Tires match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles fall into this category."

FACTORY OPTIONS:

Automatic Transmission
Power steering
Power brakes
Air conditioning
Cruise control
Power windows
Power door locks
Keyless entry
Tilt wheel
Factory tinted glass
Rear wiper/washer
Rear defroster

All options work fine.

I still have the original window sticker:

Jeep_Window_Sticker.jpg

I would not hesitate for one moment to drive this vehicle from one coast of the U.S. to the other. It uses no oil between changes. At idle in the hot summer, it still holds 40 lbs. of oil pressure. The ONLY reason I am selling it is to purchase a 4-wheel drive truck, as I need a vehicle with an open bed.

The only damage to the vehicle is a thin crack that runs across the center of the windshield. This occurred on a subzero morning when the defroster caused it to crack while sitting in the driveway. It wouldn't be very inexpensive to have this replaced, and I'd even be willing to have it replaced before the sale. The factory paint color is magenta, and the interior has cloth seats and carpet in light gray. There are no rips in the interior, and my wife and I are non-smokers.

The cost of lifting this vehicle last year was about $2500, which included the lift kit, shocks, driveshaft & slip yoke eliminator, wheels, tires, and installation. It tracks straight down the road, and doesn't pull to either side. I drive it at 60 MPH on the highway 20 miles a day with no problems. If I'd have decided to keep it, I probably would have put lower gears in it next.

I am asking $4500, which is negotiable. Please e-mail me at m4madness at sbcglobal dot net with any questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
Good luck, that is a clean XJ and I would not have a problem in that price range...if I needed one that is.

Art

NADA values this XJ in stock form at $3625.

REDUCED TO $4000.

This is as low as I can go on it, as I don't want to give away the $2500 I spent less than a year ago on the lift. Basically by paying $4000, a buyer would be paying book value for the XJ, and getting the $2500 in modifications for $375. That's a steal that I'm willing to live with.

The only reason I'm selling this XJ is that I have an opportunity to buy a newer Ford 4X4, and need exactly $4000 more dollars to add with my cash on hand to buy it outright with no loan. If this XJ doesn't sell by February 1, then I'm keeping it, and taking out a bank loan for the $4000. My wife would prefer that I do it that way anyway, as she really wants to keep the XJ for herself.

Last edited:
M4Madness said:
If this XJ doesn't sell by February 1, then I'm keeping it, and taking out a bank loan for the $4000. My wife would prefer that I do it that way anyway, as she really wants to keep the XJ for herself.

As promised, this XJ is no longer on the market as of today. My wife is going to be driving it. :smootch:

Back