• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk about mufflers

I like my $20.00 Walker OEM replacement from Auto Zone...quiet and cheap enough for me not to :bawl: when it gets torn off...

My 1st one lasted 2 seasons under the MJ and 1/2 season under the XJ... It died a glorious death on Daniel Trail in Uwharrie.

For truly effective noise-abatement...I use Iron Maiden or Pantera on the discman headphones :viking:

"The "turbo" muffler idea is great....My personal preference has always been with the Walker Exhaust O.E.M. replacement for a '68 corvair turbo. Real nice deep sound, but not too loud...
And not too expensive. offset 2.5" connections."

The Muffler Shootout:

Dynomax is owned by Walker..... so Dynomax Super Turbo is the hi-po equivalent for an original Covair Turbo. Walker OEM P/N cross-references to the Dynomax. I owned a Corvair Spyder---the original OEM sounds good and quiet on an opposed-six with a Rajay turbo---but flow rates have improved since '64.

I've had both Flowmaster and Dynomax on my '91XJ...... w/2.5" converter all the way out the back.

2.5" Flowmaster sounds good and throaty.... also resonates the same through the interior. Within two years you will need a hearing aid.

2.5" Dynomax Super Turbo also sounds good and throaty.... spares you of the ongoing trauma and hearing impairment you get with a Flowmaster.

3.5" Hooker Aero Chambers also sound good and throaty on my 562ci Hemi..... according to the tests, they're rated to flow better and make more HP/torque than all the above.

2.5" Spintech sounds funky on a Chevy Small Block..... can't imagine what they would do to a Mopar.

RESULTS:
The Dynomax Super Turbo (Walker) is a proven choice for my XJ. I would like to hear the Hooker Aero on the 4.0L HO. Maybe it offers the best of both worlds.

Well if he want's no sound than these are what he needs.

1b_gph.jpg

Later,
Lincoln

I believe they are just plugs. When you install those you should have no noise unless your muffler is so weak it gets blown out.

Anyone have a potato :D ?

On the other hand, they may be something to effectively silence it in the way a Supertrapp exhaust works in which case I may want more info, let me know if this is the case.

Crunch

I don't know about the strength, but how about a magnaflow. My brothers wifes cherokee had one and it is not loud at all until you punch it and then it just sounds mean!!!!!!! I would buy one, but I can't justify getting rid of my flowmaster for one right now when I need to many other things. Oh well.--------Kyle

It's a pipe plug. I did a quick search looking for a potato in the tail pipe picture, but ran out of time.

If you ran your exhaust straight out the back you could use it as a Beezil defense weapon. :)

Back