• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's talk about mufflers

Alright you buncha poister nutbags. Let me clue you in on what I was thinking. Supertrapp sounds like a good option to me, but they are way pricey. They fit anywhere though. Beez, think of where Troy (along with most the other competitors) has his muffler, that's what I'm lookin' for.

Hooker Aero Chambers are nice. Built tough and out of fully welded aluminized and stainless steel. Get the one with the offset inlet and offset outlet for the most noise reduction. Just my $.02:)

OK.....OneTon...you lost me. Where are you planning to put this thing, clue in those of us who do not follow the rock crawling scene. If Flowmasters wont work or you do not want them fine, but give us a clue as to what you are thinking and maybe we can come up with something.

Rev

I ran a $20 turbo muffler from the auto parts store hooked to the cat and then ran a 90 elbow out the side under the rear passenger door in front of the rear tire. $30 exhaust system.

honestly, sean...

have you ever cut open a muffler to see how they're built?

they're NOTHING!!!!!

i say if you can't find one you want that is economical, make or modify one, or steal one off of a competitors rig this weekend, he'll think he lost it on the rocks.

Den, I don't know where I'm going to put it yet since I don't even know what my heep is going to look like yet. Once again, compact, quiet, decent flow. I'm gonna check out the Dynomax and the Hooker. How much should I expect to pay for these? I'm thinking 2.25" tubing.

B, I'm not smoking weed in my dorm room :rolleyes:

OneTonXJ said:
My cherry bomb is quiet, but it resonates too much.

Run two -- or one cherry bomb with a resonator tail pipe tip.

The Dynomax is like $40.

CRASH

Those look interesting.

I run a Borla and it seems to be quieter and a lot smaller than a flowmaster. Mines an oval shape that measures about 13"X9"X4". If you look down the middle it has the perforated tube (no ridges like a glass pack) formed in a lazy S design. JC Whitney used to sell them for less than Jobber was for me (~$80).

The guy that I have bend my exhaust sells a muffler that looks exactly the same but isn't made of stainless sells them for around $30.

Later,
Lincoln

Here's a link. It's where I ordered mine. I love it! It's actually not on my XJ,but it's on my SJ w/360 and single 2.5" exhaust. It has a nice mellow tone without being overly dramatic.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1360&prmenbr=361

edit:It seems that I was mistaken on the "offset in and out" deal. I must have been looking at another muffler at the time I saw that. Sorry. I'd still recomend it though:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've got a spintech with a turn out under the pass rear door. When I went to the exhaust shop I told the manager I wanted something different. He had been putting spintechs on imports and v-8's (said it flows better than a flowmaster and doesnt resonate as bad, and its not the same muffler as everyone else has)and said it would make a straight 6 sound like a tractor. He didnt want to waste one on a str8 6 but money talks, he assured me no one would like the sound so I would have the unique sound I wanted.. I had it full length for a while and liked the tone but when I chopped it and turned it out the side the real tractor sound came alive. They make really thin ones for street rods too. 2 1/4" tall I think. I like it and it seems tough.

The "turbo" muffler idea is great....My personal preference has always been with the Walker Exhaust O.E.M. replacement for a '68 corvair turbo. Real nice deep sound, but not too loud...
And not too expensive. offset 2.5" connections.

I can't speak for the quality of any copycat turbo mufflers though...

I know I'm the one that messed this thread up in the first place but....

some of you guys are actually TRYING to give one-schmuck good info........

yet no one has picked up on the fact that he DOESN'T WANT ***ANY*** SOUND!

there you go sean, thread repair for ya......

Beezil what Flowmaster are you running on your rig? Sounds better than my ghetto system...... im looking to get a replacement.

You get that from who I think you got it from?

Chewy

Back