• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LEO help needed VIN inspection

time2getdirty

my cats breath smells
NAXJA Member
I sold a rally car (caged shell with a bunch of parts actually) to a guy in Weld county a few months ago. I bought the car with an Arizona title and had the vin inspected when I got my Wyoming title for it. This guy is claiming that the state patrol did not pass the cars vin inspection today because it does not have factory airbags and the firewall is modified. I have had vin inspections done without airbags on cars that don't even run.
Was this an error on the officers part or is this guy really stuck with out installing airbags. The firewall has not been modified, just the soundproof material removed.
I believe Sherrifs and State Patrol can do these vin inspections, does anyone have a hookup with anyone that could do this inspection for him without hasseling him?
David
303-941-6744

He can also just go to an E-Test facility to get it done. And I'm pretty sure that LEO was just being a dick. When I used to do VIN Inspection no part of it involved any sort of safety check or equipment check on the vehicle. You just made sure that the VIN on the title matched what was on the car.

CSP does full road worthiness inspections when they do VIN inspections. They will not sign off if they're not roadworthy. They do the same thing with kit cars or home-built cars. Has to be running, driving, road worthy before they'll assign a State VIN tag.

Is that the guy's intention with the car? To be able to drive it on the streets? Or are the race rules requiring that the car is registered and insured?

If so, he would have better success getting the inspection done by a county or city entity. All they do is verify that the vin is clear and that it matches in 2 places on the car.

Did CSP give him any paperwork that they signed after the failed inspection? I'd be concerned that the car has been flagged as inspected and failed. I don't know for a fact that they do that, but if he left with no signed documentation indicating a failed inspection, he should be clear to go to a city or county.

A while back, I bought a trailer that had a Nebraska title and a bent spindle. I hauled it on my car trailer and went to CSP to get the VIN inspection done. I was turned away by the Trooper who told me "Bring it back when it's fixed and hooked up to the truck". He said he needed to see it working properly and check the lights and wiring. Brought it back fixed and it passed no problem.

Last edited:
It needs to be registered and insured for rally as they transit on public roads.

I will see what he has done and any paperwork he has received.

Silly CSP and their rules. If he didn't get anything saying it failed and for why have him take it to an E-Test facility (verify they still do it) or the Weld County Service station near HWY-119 and I-25. I know the Sheriff's sub-station didn't check any of that when I had them do one.

Last time I had to do a VIN inspection I paid some place a block away from the county clerk's office. They looked at the out of state title, looked at the VIN in the dashboard, and signed the paper. I would look online for VIN inspections in his area. It does not need to be done by law enforcement. Any licensed place can do it. It was simply more convenient for me to stop there on the way to the clerk's office. Some places are just easier to deal with.

Ugh. Not looking forward to getting buggy verified.

Pretty sure if you have a vehicle that was registered but not up to date all you need is to update the registration by paying it up to date unlike an un registered vehicle like one from out of state ...lol...I let my tags go since not driving it but will pay up this year since I will need occasional driving back to trailer from trail on public roads but there is no inspection due since it is on record , and no e-motions in my county either so once it is on the books it can turn into anything and have a legaish tag ...this will be nice when the 4.0 dies .

In Colorado a vin inspection is just that. Verify vin on vehicle matching to registration or title paperwork. Does not require safty inspection. Many places do these even car dealers.

I guess biggest issue for him that screwed him is that the dash is out of a different vehicle so the only vin is on the front fenderwell.

Shouldn't matter. As long as the original vin is there, any facility can do it. If it's not a regular CO title, CSP has to do the vin. (Salvage title). Sucks they're throwing all that crap at him. There's way more dangerous cars on the road than that.

It is the details that ruin your day! :(

He wants me to buy it back if he can't get it registered. That is my motivation for finding him a successful route. I have offered to reinstall all airbags and fix whatever they think is wrong with the firewall. We will see what hope s next week. I love Wyoming, dealing with this (selling vehicles to co people) is the worst part of living here.

Did you tell him it would be no problem? I woudn't feel too bad or feel any obligation to make modifications unless I promised it would be no problem to register in Colorado. Usually I would just tell them what I think is required and suggest they do their own investigation. I only feel bad if I misrepresented the issue and then I will work to make it right. I would find a easy going VIN inspection place, explain its a derby car, this is the original VIN, pointing to the VIN on the fender well. $20 and you get the paper so you can get the title. There has to be someone who can do this. If not, the guy needs to consider moving out of state.

Last edited:
Why didn't whoever put a different dash in it keep the original one with the tag? Also, there are tons of other spots the vin is printed on many cars, they put a vin tag on basically every body panel on most stuff made in the 90s and later.

It was purchased two owners ago as a shell, built to a turbo dd car with Wrx interior then I bought it, sold everything back to a shell, caged it and collected parts then sold it.
It has had 3 or 4 dashes in it and the OG is long gone.

If the car is displaying more than one VIN, it won't pass. Doesn't matter if 3 of 4 VIN's found on the car are the ones that match the title. If the dash is displaying a different VIN, He'd be better off removing that visible VIN so that any and all visible VIN's match.

Because these cars, like Hondas, GM Yukons/Suburbans, Ford F250/F350's are high theft vehicles, CSP and other State sponsored inspection facilities are likely to really be picky.

All Recycling won't accept any junk Cherokee, Honda, high theft vehicle without clearing the VIN - no matter how parted out it is.

Just a sign of the times.

So is there any place on this hoopdee with the original VIN on it to be found if so I would think there must be a way to clear that VIN and e entualy register it . Before I bought my XJ 2010 I was about to buy Toyota 4 runner on Tons with a 5.3 swap from California ...lol...the seller never actually mentioned the vins but mentioned that he swapped the 4 runner body onto a toy truck frame I then thought about the vins and asked him and he dodged the question about registration ,So I passed on the purchase not just for that but because it was sight unseen and he seemed shady and the type to not disclose things ...In hindsight I should have started with a stock Wrangler YJ since I have completely rebuilt this XJ from how it was built when I purchased it for 8,000 plus $1000 shipping from Walhalla, SC to Colorado.

Back