• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LEDs in Steel tail light housings?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone use these housings with LEDs instead of the incadescents? I am assuming it is a simply bulb swap but figured I would ask if anyone has had hands on expericence and if there were any issues for any reason.

TIA

31.jpg

100_6072.jpg

Mine are Farmboy boxes. (no longer made)

The only problem I have is that my swingarm blocks the turn signal. My solution is to make the stop lamp flash as well. Mine are the LED's. No problem with the LED's at all.

100_6075.jpg

I love my Formatt Fab tails, my only "problem" is when I brake the turnsignals don't flash, but I also have LED's in the front so.....

100_6072.jpg

Mine are Farmboy boxes. (no longer made)

The only problem I have is that my swingarm blocks the turn signal. My solution is to make the stop lamp flash as well. Mine are the LED's. No problem with the LED's at all.

100_6075.jpg

Where did you source those LED tails? Also, are your turn signal and backup LEDS too? They look like incadescents. About the turnsignals, I was almost thinking to have the square cutouts for the blinker and back up on top and the tail/stop on bottom, so reverse of your design. Another option is to go with the fullsixe XJ/mafia motorworks/desertfab design, since that places the amber a bit higher above any camber latch for swingouts

Where did you source those LED tails? Also, are your turn signal and backup LEDS too? They look like incadescents. About the turnsignals, I was almost thinking to have the square cutouts for the blinker and back up on top and the tail/stop on bottom, so reverse of your design. Another option is to go with the fullsixe XJ/mafia motorworks/desertfab design, since that places the amber a bit higher above any camber latch for swingouts

Turn is LED. Backup is incadescent(which is pretty much useless). Sidemarker is also LED.

Yes, flipping the design would work to clear the swingarm. That's more work that I'm willing to put in them though. The holes were already cut for the lights when I got them. My local NAPA carries the LED lamps.

Check the parts houses for OTR truck and trailer lights - Petersen, Grote, Blazer, etc. Lots of LED lights out there now, the sheetmetal is still the problem.

Flashers probably have to be upgraded to full electronic instead of the old current draw type - LED's just don't heat them up.

Check these out, use the same led tail as in Haleyes'.

http://www.totalfab.net/images/products/full5.jpg

Yeah, I am actually talking to chris about cutting them out to look like the farmboy design but having the square cutouts "stacked" on top of one another (placing the backup light on the bottom) under the main oval light. Basically like the original picture of mafiamotorworks housing I posted at the top of this thread.

When you use LED's you need load compensators (resistors) to make it work properly. They should be available at most parts stores.

Yeah I tried those with no luck. I upgraded all of my exterior light to LEDs (replacement 3157 plug ins). I got the front turn signals/parking light to work but not the rear turn signals. Then I swapped in the electonic flasher module (Tridon EP-27) and only would get one of the two bulbs in each of the front turn signals to work and the side markers were dim and the cluster gauge showed dimmly lit turn signals. I tried using the load stabilzers and no matter what I did, they would not work.

After thinking about it, I realized I ordered some of my LEDs from one source and some from another and the manufacturer design might be messing with the load and how the module was effected. I finally swapped some of the LEDs around and got them all properly working. Only thing now is that in my front turn signal/parking lights that have two bulbs in each housing, one is red and one is amber. I don't mind it and I think it kinda looks cool but for whatever reason, it's the only way the "system" would function with turns/brakes/parking lights and hazards.

Here is a picture. In the picture you can sort of tell but it is very apparent in person. I actually get a lot of looks when driving with my parking light on.

front.jpg

I am just asking about the LEDs in steel housings cause I don't want to have to go through the hassle again.

Back