• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring through floorboard

the biggest rust patch is maybe 6x6.the frame rails are good,no signd of rust at all.just a few places on the floor board which i can just cut out and weld in new metal on the cleaned and rust free metalthat i cut back to.of course all paint,undercoating etc will be cleaned/sanded off to get a good bead on.i'll be plasma cutting all rotten stuff out and then tig welding the new back it.my only problem after that ...my wipers dont work...i got that traced down to the multi-function switch on the steering column.its all good i enjoy work on my cars/truck..i dont run away from it when a problem arises.

holy rust.....get a new one

That doesn't look that bad. As mentioned that does not appear to have let go from rust, it looks like the bolt fell out and it smashed into the floor. If the rest of the jeep is good structually that is not that bad of a repair.

here is my version of the poly hangers, back before they were available. Some tube, some plate, and tons of time and work:). Good luck, looks messy, a labor of love:).

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0882.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Its fixable and you can make it better than it was from the factor.

Around here in the NC/SC/TN area, 90% of XJ i look at are rust free and minor mechanical issues. When they do have rust is a small hole in the floor boards due to a leak somewhere

I just looked under my rig to see how bad my rust has gotten recently, and wouldn't ya know it, mine looks like it will end up like this one VERY SOON! I've been looking around the chicago area for a project truck. I just want one thats minimal to NO rust, but thats very hard to find around here. I keep hearing about the RUST FREE ones in the southern states. Was just on craigslist to look, and didnt see any worth the trip to pick up.

OP: Sorry to hi-jack, but I'm sure some info gathered here will help you make your decision.

i am rebuilding it.i am getting the poly or ironman kit.all rust will be cut out and new metal put in.with the plans i have for this jeep this is my best way to go.yes i have some mods to do but in the end it will all be worth it.

is this one repairable :D
1230071254ch8.jpg

Sometimes ya just got to let em go and find a rust free one especially if it is in a bad spot.

When they get this bad ^^^^ it's usually best to start over with something better. It also depends on what part of the country you're standing in to know the rust factor. What people in Cali would call rusted out, the northeast folks would call nothing.

Where to draw the line..........

Where I draw the line:

The leaf eye mounts are about as bad as the OP's and I have 6x20+ inch holes through the floorboards in the front under the driver and passenger foot areas, the only thing keeping me inside the jeep is the carpet.

That's mine before I half-assed it back together... I fixed it well enough to hold on the trail and I've been thrashing it since, the next time it breaks badly I'm gonna strip it and put all the good stuff on the 98 I picked up to replace it.

did anyone notice the leafspring is missing from my pic? lol went 5 inches into the passenger seat. No jumping either. but pretty much if the rot is that bad swap bodies before it becomes something dangerous.

had the same issue, bought a new shackle mount from OEM Jeep, welded it on an re-enforced the area, filled in the floor and been wheelin it for 2 yrs. When it happened my first reaction was oh f...k, but after lookin it wasns`t to bad to fix. good luck

Back