• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking noise from the rear.

Gordy

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced both rear upper shock bushes as I had a knock from the rear end when I bumped up a kerb, so t's gonna do it when i'm on the trail, kinda like the sound you get when your exhaust hits the frame or whatever. We'll after a nightmare day, it still does it. Everythings tight under there. Maybe the upper shock is still hitting the underframe when it gets a jolt?. Any ideas?

Anyone?. I have stripped the rear down, fitted brand new oem shackles, checked the leaf spring bushes, greased the leafs up, removed the shocks and tried it and still makes the noise, fitted new top and bottom shock bushes. It's not the shocks hitting the floor, its not the exhaust hitting anywhere, the u joints are ok on the drive shaft.

I get the noise on rough terrain or bumps on the road but more especially when travelling over bumps at an angle ie left rear wheel followed by right rear wheel. Feels like somthing is loose and you can feel the knock thru the vehicle as well as hear it. Wheel bearings dont howl but could it be them, or brake drums loose?. Recently fitted a truetrac with new bearings, could the drive shaft be moving a bit and knocking into the truetrac at the splines?. Thanks in advance.

I have had it checked on the ramp. This all started after the detroit truetrac when it. Whats happening is the truetrac must be slightly different around the area where the C clips fit in, therefore allowing the axle to move in and out a little more than the usual 1/8 in or so. The noise is halfshaft outer hub knocking against end of the axle. I need a modified/slightly wider or stepped C clip to prevent the excess movement. Anyone else had this problem?

I have had it checked on the ramp. This all started after the detroit truetrac when it. Whats happening is the truetrac must be slightly different around the area where the C clips fit in, therefore allowing the axle to move in and out a little more than the usual 1/8 in or so. The noise is halfshaft outer hub knocking against end of the axle. I need a modified/slightly wider or stepped C clip to prevent the excess movement. Anyone else had this problem?

Back