• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key Slides Out of Ignition

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
I don't think it is the key because my other spares do the same. Is it the cylinder or could it be the actual teeth inside the lock cylinder? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for the reply. 2000. So did you just swap in a new cylinder and kept the old "tumbler" or the piece that the key slides into?

Thanks

I would take my VIN number to the jeep dealer and pickup a new lock assembly, the vin is important as it will match your existing keys. When it comes in make sure your keys work it and it works your doors, they usually come with two new keys.

My old jeep did that. As long as I did not turn the switch all the way back I could still start it with out they key. Drove it like that for about 4 years before I sold it. But that was an 88 and it had tabs on the top and bottom of the ignition so I could still start it.

Definitely do the stealership with your VIN, so you get it matched to your keys.

Making copies of worn keys gives you a newly worn key. Mine sides right out as well. Sometimes after a few bumps, they drop to the floor. If you have the owners manual, the key code should be inside. You can also try to get a fresh key made at the dealer.

you see, fellas my 89 has never had much affinity for maintaining its keys while running. I've found it to be convenient to be able to pull my keys out to check the mail box or clip my nails while waiting at a stop light..
interesting, some people would complain about that.
i say enjoy!

Or forgetting something inside the house and you don't have to shut down to use yoiur door key.

My 92 did that and I liked not having to shut it down when I forgot something inside the house.

My old jeep did that. As long as I did not turn the switch all the way back I could still start it with out they key. Drove it like that for about 4 years before I sold it. But that was an 88 and it had tabs on the top and bottom of the ignition so I could still start it.

Definitely do the stealership with your VIN, so you get it matched to your keys.

Mine was the same way for about a year. It never locked and didn't need the key. Until the one day I drove to work and left the keys on the kitchen counter. That was the day it decided to start working again and wouldn't turn without the key. Had to have the wife stop by with the keys. I can still take the key out and if I don't turn it quite all the way back it can still be started without the keys.

Back