• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just picked up another XJ

Yeah, I am thinking about going to pull a part and grabbing some ford ranger shackles. The only issue is they usually stick the welded wheels to hold the vehicle up right where the shackle is so its a pain in the butt. I am thinking about taking an angle grinder to the bumper or taking it off.

if you ask one of the guys at pap, they will lift stuff up for you with a fork lift... one time me and a friend just pushed an xj over off the rims on its side to get to some stuff. they were probably pissed about that though...

i think if nothing else, you get to have fun with the grinder, but you'll still have that screwed up stock bumper under it.... i would mod the homemade bumper to look like you didn't hit a tree, then sell it and put the money toward a sturdier winch bumper with a better design that doesn't hinder approach angles...

Well, I decided to hack the lower part of the bumper off. Angle grinder did great. I now have a much better approach angle and retained the bumper.

I'm down for coal creek. I just want it to be dry.

We're gonna be heading up there the end of March for a ride. Check the calendar of events. Wanna join us for some wheeling?????:yelclap:

heck yeah i'm up for some march wheelin! let me know the exact date so i can get out of work. i might even quit! my job blows, and i don't need it while i'm in school... bogosia, let's see some pics of that bumper!!

Before. Notice the low dangler:

DSC03894.jpg

After using my favorite tool, the angle grinder:

DSC03964.jpg

DSC03963.jpg

nicely done, sir... now we can take that thing up to the mountain and do some real fun stuff! are you gonna cut off that bent place on the side, or what do you have in mind for that whole shebang?

Last edited:
lookin better man. if you get some scrap steel and cut it into shape, ill weld it together for u...we can make you a budget bumper or something if you want.

hey jeep addict, do you still have your stock rear driveshaft? i have a front ds you could use with your sye, but i need a stock rear ds that isn't bent. if you have one or know anyone who does. i'd love to trade with you...

Eric, I tried to use my Hi Lift and wedge it in between the bent tube and my bumper, but it just wouldn't fit. I think I need to hit a tree with the other side and call it a day.

yeah. sure. either way i think we can bend that tube back out, maybe take off that corner and bang the stock sheet metal back out with a hammer, put it back together, and cover up what ugly is left with some spray paint.

Eric, I tried to use my Hi Lift and wedge it in between the bent tube and my bumper, but it just wouldn't fit. I think I need to hit a tree with the other side and call it a day.

Just cut the whole thing off and call it a day. I like Gregs idea better about getting some square tube steel and build a new bumper. If you know someone with a welder you can build one for pretty cheap.

Continuously banging the stock one out is like putting lip stick on a pig. It may have worked for the previous owner, but it's an anchor for you.

hahahaha...^i liked that

but yea...we could make you a decent bumper. Do some unibody tie ins (extended mounting plates), and even integrate that brush guard you have currently. It would be a fun project to do

i knew that what i said wasn't the best thing to do about the bumper, i was just offering a temp solution till you have time to mess with it. i personally love building bumpers, and anything else i can. i was just offering some turd polish....

huh? haha i don't really get it, but ok...ohhhhhh now i get it, you're referring to bogosia polishing turds and having lots of time.... it's a little funnier now...

Back