• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just overheated the Stroker Badly, NEED HELP

GSequoia said:
Does your "metallic" sound sound anything like an old steam engine?

Most likely it would not be external... If you pull the head and can easily see the crack then it's REALLY cracked.

Been a while since I've heard a steam engine. But it kinda sounds like a couple small rocks in a coke can or something, you know what I mean?

If it sounds like something rattling around in there (aside from the usual bag of marbles in the valve train :laugh3: ) I wouldn't run that engine for a second, I'd be tearing it down RIGHT AWAY.

GSequoia said:
If it sounds like something rattling around in there (aside from the usual bag of marbles in the valve train :laugh3: ) I wouldn't run that engine for a second, I'd be tearing it down RIGHT AWAY.

It's not that bad though, not like a rod sound you know what I mean? Anyway, I bought a compression tester at lunch, I'll do the tests tonight, and also change the oil. We'll see if the compression tells any tales. I have a feeling it will.

Does anyone know what my compression value should be on a 4.6L Stroker?

Todd

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your troubles man. Your problem is why I dont trust in the remote car starters. As far as compression I'd guess around 150psi, just follow the 10% rule to see that all the numbers are close. As far as checking damage, the easiest thing you can do is have your oil analyzed.

GSequoia said:
At this point I woulnd't worry so much about the pressure number as much as consistancy between all the cylinders.

Fair enough, but what is to spec? Should I even be spec with a Stroker?

I have a 4.6 liter stroker as well. I ran some compression tests on mine a while back while troubleshooting an oil consumption issue (still unresolved btw :mad: ) My #'s were as follows

1 - 200
2 - 185
3 - 190
4 - 190
5 - 200
6 - 200

Again -- as long as the compression is high, the exact #'s mean a whole lot less than the consistency of the #'s across all the pistons. Good condition cylinders should all usually be within 15% of each other. If you have a cracked head or block, whatever pistons are affected will be much lower than the rest.

Sorry to hear about your latest problem with your project. I replaced my heater valve when I put my stroker in as well. Now I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Matthew

tetsulo said:
I have a 4.6 liter stroker as well. I ran some compression tests on mine a while back while troubleshooting an oil consumption issue (still unresolved btw :mad: ) My #'s were as follows

1 - 200
2 - 185
3 - 190
4 - 190
5 - 200
6 - 200

Again -- as long as the compression is high, the exact #'s mean a whole lot less than the consistency of the #'s across all the pistons. Good condition cylinders should all usually be within 15% of each other. If you have a cracked head or block, whatever pistons are affected will be much lower than the rest.

Sorry to hear about your latest problem with your project. I replaced my heater valve when I put my stroker in as well. Now I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

Matthew

Great info, thank you, I'll shoot for 200ish and see if their all close to each other. Ya, my heater control valve literally had 1000mi on it, and it cracked. It was the tube that connects the HCV to the H2o pump. Thanks for your sympathy, it's going to take all the tolerance I have not to sell this thing after I get it fixed. It's just one thing after another, I really think my Jeep hates me.

Had mine pegged for about three to four minutes once. Let it sit overnight, changed out radiator/thermo. refilled coolant, no probs. at all, not even head gasket. So yours doesn't necessarily have to be a huge problem, would gladly take a blown head gasket over a warped or cracked head or even worse, lower end damage.
Whatever it is... good luck.

NHxj4x4 said:
t's going to take all the tolerance I have not to sell this thing after I get it fixed. It's just one thing after another, I really think my Jeep hates me.

just keep in mind how it drove when you had the timing sorted :)

Matthew

NHxj4x4 said:
It's just one thing after another, I really think my Jeep hates me.
Keep Faith in her, i've also been going through the same kind of crap with my Jeep, fix one thing and have smthin else go wrong, fix that, well you get the idea. But atleast I still have faithin her.

robz95xj said:
Keep Faith in her, i've also been going through the same kind of crap with my Jeep, fix one thing and have smthin else go wrong, fix that, well you get the idea. But atleast I still have faithin her.

Thanks Rob, we'll see. Autex has a pretty nice WJ right now that I may take a look at, I'm just sick of this dude.

NHxj4x4 said:
Thanks Rob, we'll see. Autex has a pretty nice WJ right now that I may take a look at, I'm just sick of this dude.
yeah i hear ya, once i get a my job imma gonna get a DD, theres a very nice XJ at Chrysler ive been drooling over.

Back