• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junkyard upgrades

Yep - same mounting as stock. Hoses are the same location; the only change is the internals. If you are non-lifted, then reuse your OEM Pitman arm.

Last edited:
last night i picked up a 4.2L short block out of a CJ5 off craigslist to grab the crank and rods to start collecting my stroker parts. i got to looking at the oil pan and i noticed that it looked like it was the same as ours- or pretty close to it- and it has a built in skid on the lowest part of the pan. anyone know if the pan will fit on our 4.0s?

It will fit (bolt-on) but the sump is about an inch deeper than the 4.0 pan. I have one on my HO stroker because of the extra fluid capacity. Cleared everything fine for me.

some exploders have nice tranny coolers to snag , so do some chev PU's and many other cars and trucks , so keep your eyes open . some S10 pu /blazers have a remote oil filter that can be used for a extra oil filter or even a tranny filter .
keep your eyes open for stainless steel hose clamps , i mean the ones that are 100% SS including the screw .
and for those looking to build strokers 97 and up cap girdles (can someone confirm the years ...)

I pulled some really sweet seats out of an 05ish liberty i'm going to make work in my 89 xj. The mounting is really different but the seats are almost the same size. From where your butt is to top of headrest is 3" higher on the liberty seat but the width is the exact same. I'm documenting the swap well, with pictures and such and i'll do a full write up on it when i've got enough progres to shake a stick at. I'm just taking measurements tonight. But it'll be freaking sweet when it's done!

Best part is, full almost new leather, heated, and full power adjust. I only spent $30 on both the front seats at the pick-a-part! :D

and for those looking to build strokers 97 and up cap girdles (can someone confirm the years ...)

I have a block, crank, and head in my 2000 XJ that were originally in a 93 model. (2000 block was toast) I attempted to use the cap girdle from my 2000 block but the crank would not clear. The counter weights were hitting the girdle.

I have a block, crank, and head in my 2000 XJ that were originally in a 93 model. (2000 block was toast) I attempted to use the cap girdle from my 2000 block but the crank would not clear. The counter weights were hitting the girdle.

could you have ground the girdle a bit to get clearance?

good news , the VW 2 speed thermoswitch is the same thread as the factory (renix ) switch located in the rad .. not something you come across to often .. A DIRECT BOLT IN ...
now to check if the bung will fit into the open system rad i just installed .. looks like there is a plug where the sensor goes ..

for us 2 door guys:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=992058&highlight=seat+swap

to my knowledge any TJ, XJ, or Wj seat (ZJ too? :dunno:) 96-02 is interchangable between the base and seat. no need for new bases, use your existing one and bolt on your new seat. and an XJ power base can utilize a WJ power seat with no modification. i beleive the wire providing information for the "buckle seat belt" dash light is all that powers power XJ seats, and is all that is needed to power power WJ seats. i may be wrong. can anyone confirm or deny this? heating feature is not direct bolt in, and takes a lot of work to use.

does anyone have a write up on using WJ or ZJ rear seats? the 60/40 fold option would be amazing.

oh, and subscribed.

For you Dana 44 front guys:

A 1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 pitman arm fits on the stock XJ steering box. It is extra thick, has a bunch of drop, and has more throw. It'll bring you back to a tight turning radius.

Note: the taper for the drag link is from the top, so if you are running TREs you need an insert. I drilled out the taper on mine because I'm running heims.

older volvos have rear D30's in them and some of them came with factory trac locks , keep your eyes out at the wreckers and pick up some cheap extra front end traction ..

Forgive me for not wading through atleast 11 pages, but I had a quick question. Will any ZJ pitman work, or does it have to be a V8 ZJ in order to get the drop pitman?

any zj pitman arm will function as a drop pitman. its the tie rod out of a v8 zj that differs from its I6 counterpart

waggy- which volvos? any way to tell if they have the tracloc without tearing into it? the yard i go to a lot has a ton of older volvos and this would be a nice pickup if i can find one

Forgive me for not wading through atleast 11 pages, but I had a quick question. Will any ZJ pitman work, or does it have to be a V8 ZJ in order to get the drop pitman?
it is definitley the V8 pitman arm you want. i have a pitman arm right here that i bought from a guy parting out his ZJ. i didn't know that i had to look for one from a V8. this one is EXACTLY the same as my XJ pitman arm.

there are other threads on this topic that will confirm this.

it is definitley the V8 pitman arm you want. i have a pitman arm right here that i bought from a guy parting out his ZJ. i didn't know that i had to look for one from a V8. this one is EXACTLY the same as my XJ pitman arm.

All of the ZJ ones that I have seen have the drop, not just the V8 ones. Did you pull it from the ZJ? Maybe you are being lied to?

Tim how high are you going? You do not need a DPA until you get up around 6" or more.

All of the ZJ ones that I have seen have the drop, not just the V8 ones. Did you pull it from the ZJ? Maybe you are being lied to?

yep. i have pulled half a dozen pitman arms off zjs. they all were the same- 4.0, 5.2, and 5.9- didnt matter.

Back