• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Junk in the Trunk

The pliers are for fencing. I had them for work. The tape holds a fence clip that's bent to make a hook so I can hook it to my belt or something. I hate loosing pliers back country!

Check List (free recall)
This is what I can come up with off the top of my head, there may be other things I forget to mention.
I’m in college, so going to the beach, a party, BBQ, camping, and any outdoor activity are all common occurrences. Some of the things listed are good to have, but are excellent when the situation arises, and arise they do.
If you carry this much stuff around, people will be in awe, and worship you! :bow:

Safety:
First Aid Kit-
Note: It is great to have this stuff when going anywhere. If you use something, replace it ASAP. You never know when somebody will need an Ibuprophen, band aide and so on. Chicks really dig a big first aid kit :naughty:
-Bandages
-Band Aids
-Tape
-Gauze, pads, mole skin
-Scissors, tweezers
-Gloves
-First Aid Booklet
-Pills (Alieve, Vicodin, Ibuprophen, Benadril, Cough Drops)
-Thera-flu
-Ice pack
-Ointments (Burn Jel, Hydrochortizone, Triple Antibiotic, TECHNU!!!)
-Anesthetic Spray
-Eye Wash Solution
-Alcohol Pads
-Batteries
-Wind Up Flashlight (w/ flash beacon) w/ AM/FM radio
-Light Sticks
-Old GPS as back up should new one fail
-Soaps/Sunscrean/Lotions/Shampoo
Survival Gear-
Note: Not always carried around, but it comes in handy should you forget a change of clothes, get wet and so on. Keep in water proof bags should your rig be submerged.
-Sweatshirt :chilly:
-Pants
-Socks
-Shoes
-Warm Gloves
-Blankets
-Sleeping Bag
-Tarp
-Orange Reflective Vest (Always Carried)
-Hat
-Water
-Knife (Always carried)
-Binoculars (Not survival, but usually carried around, as birds are great to watch)

Tools:
Craftsman Tool Set-
Note: Pick and choose what you need, and what fits your style. When going on a long trip, hitting a trail or going to a wrench party, bring all your goods. But when just daily driving, only carry what you think you may need.
-All Necessary Sockets, Ratchets, Extensions, Drivers, and more (won’t go in to size)
-Screwdrivers (4 Phillips, 4 Standard, big thru small)
-Bits
-Torx Set
-Wrenches (Metric/Standard, Open/Closed)
-Allen Wrenches
-Pipe Saw (Bow style and open end style) *Great for on the trail exhaust mods :grin:
-Hammer
-Pliers (Pipe, slip, needle nose, electrical, and fence)
-4-Way Tire Iron
-Work Gloves (not leather)
-Clean Wipes
-Shop Rag/Hand Towel
Electrical-
-Wire
-Electrical Tape
-But Connectors
-Splices
-Electrical Pliers
-Multi Meter
-Fuses
-Dielectric Gel
-Zip Ties!!! :)
Recovery-
Note: A must have for going to any trail, expedition, beach or camping trip.
-Hi Lift
-Regular Bottle Jack
-Pick Axe/Pulaski
-Hatchet
-Hammer
-2 Hand Saws for Trees (not the pipe saws
-Hand Winch
-Recovery Straps
-General Use Rope
-Shovel
-Window Cleaner Buddy
-Extra Hook
-Leather Gloves
-Extra Auxiliary Lights, already wired/switched for my rig, with magnet base for attachment anywhere (metal) on rig.
-Air Compressor (12v)
-Spotlight (12v)

Parts/Fluids:
Commonly Broken Items-
-U-Joints
-Belt
-Fuses
-Other things I don’t carry, but many others do: Axle shafts, water pump, spark plugs, TRE, hubs, and so on. If you want to elaborate, please do.
Fluids/Sprays-
Note: This includes people fluids
-Brake Fluid
-Coolant
-Grease
-Lithium Grease
-WD-40
-Electrical Cleaner
-Deep Creep
-Rustoleum Spray Paint
-Lighter Fluid
-Water
-Beer :cheers:
-Drinks

Electrical Equipment:
-CB Radio
-Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS Unit
-Old Magellan
-Flashlights
-Power Inverter
-Extension Cord
-Multi Meter
Random Gear:
Note: Usually a waste of space, so I only carry around when I think I may need it. Some of this gear is repeated.
-Tent
-Sleeping Bag
-Blankets
-Toilet Paper
-Snorkeling Gear
-Towel
-Coleman Stove w/ Propane Tanks
-Jiffy Pop :popcorn:
-Tarp
-Charcoals
-Bungees, elastic cords
-Fishing Gear, tackle box
-Plates, cutlery
-Frisbees/Ball (Great at beach)
-Whatever you want. . .

Holy Chit....

My XJ is bare compared to you guy's....

WHen I go out (keep in mind this is a DD), I carry my small Toolbox loaded with my tools from my rollaway (I don't have a ton of tools BTW), I also carry drining water and coolant, as well as a tow strap (which is missing for some odd reason...).

And to think, I used to stuff all that behind the seat of my Mazda....(And it was driven only on pavement.....)

krelja said:
Here's my trunk not a filled up at the time but my 32" spare and alot of other junk still fits underneath. The height of the rack is high enough to snuggly fit a 70 qt cooler under and everything gets tied down so nothing goes flying around. I love that the hi-lift is inside and away from the elements do it doesn't get hammered by the elements.

click to enlarge
Where did you get that rack?

poorboy_616 said:
Holy Chit....

My XJ is bare compared to you guy's....

WHen I go out (keep in mind this is a DD), I carry my small Toolbox loaded with my tools from my rollaway (I don't have a ton of tools BTW), I also carry drining water and coolant, as well as a tow strap (which is missing for some odd reason...).

And to think, I used to stuff all that behind the seat of my Mazda....(And it was driven only on pavement.....)

You carried a tow rope behind the seat of your Mazda? hahaha Thats hardcore. Well, was it a Miata or pick up?

Kyle Horvath said:
I just wanted to do a quick post to show y'all what I carry around when I go hit up a trail, camp, or the stuff I just carry around with my rig.

I would have posted this in the adventure forum, but I'm just a user.

I built a slide-out tool box to put in the back of my XJ. It saves a ton of space and I can utilize more room in my rig. All together, the gear I carry with me will weigh at most 120 pounds. I usually carry about half that. Here's a handfull of pics.

If anyone wants to know the list of tools and gear, let me know. I just thought it would be a usefull thread for anone new to wheeling and adventuring.

This is the carpeted top of the tool box. I put my HiLift and pulaski right behind the rear seat
IMG_0213.jpg

I put in a divider so I could seperate the Craftsman tools from my other gear.
IMG_0214.jpg

Under the rear seat I carry grease, WD-40, cleaner, and some drinks for emergencies.
IMG_0212.jpg

The first Aid Kit. (Kept in a crate)
IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

Gear in the drawer, complete with a coleman stove.
IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

Red for recovery gear, grey for survival and personal gear.
IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

The CB up front.
IMG_0223.jpg

whered you/he get the tail lights?

And how many of you carry all this stuff in a DD?

I carry a bag of zip ties, maglite, gloves, and simple tools for my DD. Oh almost forgot the most important- cell phone and AAA membership lol

Kyle Horvath said:
You carried a tow rope behind the seat of your Mazda? hahaha Thats hardcore. Well, was it a Miata or pick up?

1987 B2000 Pickup. I carried the strap in case I needed to be pulled somewhere...

I ended up pulling a few people with it....

Once I got the Weber carb on it, I didn't carry the strap anymore....

For some odd reason, when you ditch the 20 year old computer controlled carb, it runs better and more reliably.....

I re-worked my cargo area today. I decided with gas almost $4/gal I need to up MPGs as much as possible by reducing weight. That and it's unnecessary to keep ~150 lbs of crap in all the time when the Jeep sees pavement 90% of the time.

It went from this (steel Tuffy drawer full o' tools):

HPIM0952.jpg

To this. I remove everything except the CO2 and hi-lift until wheeling trips. Saves weight and wear & tear on the springs. Everything gets strapped down tightly of course.

HPIM1168.jpg

As an added bonus, it is all hidden by the cargo cover when the hatch is closed.

HPIM1169.jpg

Here is what mine looks like during my dd; I keep my high lift strapped under the back seat (with my cb and cb antenna)
xj42908016.jpg

xj42908019.jpg

IllianaXJ said:
I re-worked my cargo area today. I decided with gas almost $4/gal I need to up MPGs as much as possible by reducing weight. That and it's unnecessary to keep ~150 lbs of crap in all the time when the Jeep sees pavement 90% of the time.

It went from this (steel Tuffy drawer full o' tools):

HPIM0952.jpg

To this. I remove everything except the CO2 and hi-lift until wheeling trips. Saves weight and wear & tear on the springs. Everything gets strapped down tightly of course.

HPIM1168.jpg

As an added bonus, it is all hidden by the cargo cover when the hatch is closed.

HPIM1169.jpg
If you ship that Tuffy to me, I will say many good things about you! :)

mOn3ym1k3y and Chris,
thanks for the compliments on the lights. They are Crystal Eyez or something like that, got em from a friend. I got another set at home (with a slight crack on the right one).
Here's a few pics of them, I used to laugh at the idea of having them, but with the right rig, they look sweet. I got higher powered (brighter) reverse lights too. Although I don't really need it since I have a reverse light installed, they are cool. I was thinking going to led internal lamps, but eh, it's a Jeep.
IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0170_edited.jpg

Back