• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will only start at 11 volts or lower

This is a bizarre problem. Normally things don't work when the battery voltage is low. Where did you read the 11v? Gauge Cluster or at the battery?

How did you drain the voltage down to 11v? What made you try this?

Are you trolling?

I have actually used that method to see if the battery is totally dead when I first get a no crank situation, and I have used to clean the plates on sulphated battery that sat too long, but always recharged it before trying to crank it. His post wording says or implies the 11 volts is a dash gauge and if it is 84-90 the dash gauges suck.

Hi i have a 2000 xj with California emissions and im having an issue when the voltage is above 11 volts it will not crank at all but if i drain the voltage down to 11 or lower it will crank and fire up with no problem. It will also fire up if i jump the starter relay as well. I do not have any cel on and when its running it drives and operates fine.
I have check all fuses, checked and cleaned all grounds, all the relays work, I have also changed the battery terminals too.
Any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance

How did you get the voltage back up over 11 volts?

Pretty sure he isn't talking about stored voltage he's just saying what the gauge reads when there's things drawing amperage.

Pretty sure he isn't talking about stored voltage he's just saying what the gauge reads when there's things drawing amperage.

Yes, I agree, and running head lights might clear a path through the crud on dirty clamps, and warm up the clamps.... on dirty posts just enough to get enough of a conductive path to get it to crank. Been there done that too. Sounds like a newbie?

I'm leaning towards OldMan's assessment.

it could be coincidence that the fender hole post was a brand new account and so is this one but I have doubts.

Someone's bored or operator headspace and timing.

It's Shawna.

Yes, I agree, and running head lights might clear a path through the crud on dirty clamps, and warm up the clamps.... on dirty posts just enough to get enough of a conductive path to get it to crank. Been there done that too. Sounds like a newbie?

I've seen this at other forums, for whatever reason some people get there kicks trying to yank people's chains, maybe just certain people.
They post issues as a novice, then troll with a increasingly impossible litany of issues.

Try talking to them and never get a proper human response Beyond more baiting.

I've seen two recent threads that were impossible problems counter to physics and how the jeeps work, people try to help only to get abuse before the end.

Until otherwise proven I'm leaning toward we are being punked.

If there are XJ out there with these problems their improbability drives should be catching fire soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am astounded so many of you fell for this nonsense. Threads like this give me pause, the stark realization that forums such as this are a complete waste of time and energy is now blatantly apparent, so I bid you all farewell. Life is too short for this sort of respite.

Actually this is Our club's website, and we have had a growing forum that we share with the public for many years. We as Members pay annual dues, and donate countless hours of our time to keep this site open as well as time spent to keep trails open and land accessible.

The people that you mock would be the first to drag your sorry assistance of the trail, run for parts, and then help you get your heap rolling so you could get home. The last thing you would hear from any one of our Members is, "that can't be happening" and leave you alone to fix your unlikely problem.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out! I'll stay here with my friends, thank you very much.

I am astounded so many of you fell for this nonsense. Threads like this give me pause, the stark realization that forums such as this are a complete waste of time and energy is now blatantly apparent, so I bid you all farewell. Life is too short for this sort of respite.

Buy Felicia

don't forget to change your location from 'here' to 'somewhere else'...........

How come both the OP and Jesse Hallum have IPs in the same SprintPCS class-B IP block?

Maybe Jesse should go help this guy out if he lives so close by :D:anon:

When people come up with this crazy stuff I always fall for it. I've been around for a long time, have I seen a lot, sure, have I seen it all, not likely.

Improbable is a good word, impossible isn't. I've seen way to many really weird things.

One of my favorite sayings is "if it were easy it would have already been fixed".

Some people are helpful by nature or try to be, some people are tools.:)

Last edited:
For what it's worth, I am glad you all make the technical contributions you do. I am a pro TIG welder and have a huge amount of respect for expertise in any field. There are people who would scrap a vehicle with a square hole heat soak issue but one of you would create a fix and share it or market a direct replacement.

Like PT Barnum said, "I don't care what you say, just spell my name right"

:NAXJA:

FWIW, while this may have been a troll game question, the question was at least somewhat valid. I have seen a battery read 10 volts, charge up in 10 minutes to 12.7 volts according the charger, and read 12.7 volts, then try to crank and then it reads 0 volts. Then run the head lights for 10 minutes, then charge it again and get the starter to crank. But the battery was DOA before the end of day, or the cable clamps were loose or corroded. Totally permanently dead. Also it depends where you take the voltage readings, which was never specified by the OP.

Nothing is ever what it seems.

When people come up with this crazy stuff I always fall for it. I've been around for a long time, have I seen a lot, sure, have I seen it all, not likely.

Improbable is a good word, impossible isn't. I've seen way to many really weird things.

One of my favorite sayings is "if it were easy it would have already been fixed".

Some people are helpful by nature or try to be, some people are tools.:)

Speaking of weird things, my front end on the 87 Waggy recently was making metal on metal front end death sounds when I applied the brakes a certain way and went up or down a ramp at the road-ramp joint. Two brake mechanics missed the problem. I saw it in seconds once I got these old bones down on the ground (painful these days). The stabilizer shock was still good after 30 years, rusted but still good at 290,000 miles (I was shocked (LOL) to say the least), but there was no sign of the rubber bushings on each end. I was surprised it had not hung up, busted or done some damage being so loose. The shock outlasted the rubber in 30 years. Go figure.

Speaking of weird things, my front end on the 87 Waggy recently was making metal on metal front end death sounds when I applied the brakes a certain way and went up or down a ramp at the road-ramp joint. Two brake mechanics missed the problem. I saw it in seconds once I got these old bones down on the ground (painful these days). The stabilizer shock was still good after 30 years, rusted but still good at 290,000 miles (I was shocked (LOL) to say the least), but there was no sign of the rubber bushings on each end. I was surprised it had not hung up, busted or done some damage being so loose. The shock outlasted the rubber in 30 years. Go figure.

My front bump stops are deteriorating.

Back