• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep shuts off when wheeling...

If the fuel filter is clogged, restricting flow, and the fuel is too hot in the rail (heat soak), then it could flash-boil and gas up just as you release the pressure keeping it from boiling, during a test for flow at the fuel rail test port, I think!!!!

As am I... I think I do have a fuel issue but it wasn't the cause of the issue I was having... Here is a video I took yesterday of the fuel pressure and it dropping... Shouldn't it hold pressure for a while?
http://youtu.be/f7naFqFyMdA?sc

Yes, the fuel pressure should hold for a lot longer than that. A couple of things come to mind:
1) check valve on the pump is toast and is allowing the fuel to drain back on the main line.
2) feeder line between the pump and the outlet port is loose (in the tank).
3) Fuel pressure regulator is going bad (or one of the rubber seals on it is cracked/broken)
4) One of the rubber seals on the quick connect fuel lines is cracked/broken

I have heard many reports of #1 but have never seen it myself. #2 is what happened to my '90 XJ and was checked as a last resort after I checked/replaced everything else. #3, the regulator itself is probably ok but there are rubber O rings on the rail side as well as on the quick connects for the return line. I would check these to make sure they are sealing properly. #4 while you are at it, double check the O rings on the quick connect hose feeding the fuel rail.

HTH
Todd

So either way I should just replace the fuel pump right?

Given my experience with the same issue, yes. One note, the ONLY reason I didn't change the fuel pump (and simply fixed the loose hose) was that the new fuel pump I bought was a different size and wouldn't bolt to my existing pickup. I didn't want to run back to the parts store but if I were to do it again, I would have bought a new pump AND matching pickup and replaced both.

HTH
todd

Back