• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've tried everything, and my jeep still won't start.

XJPhoenix said:
Slightly off-topic, but how does one go about cleaning and lubing the IAC?

:)

Cleaning one is easy, but I dont lube mine. Some say it destroys the insides, others say it works wonders.

Remove the IAC, and wash the pintle off. Use Toluene or Deep Creep (xylene works, but is slower- common throttlebody cleaner and a toothbroush are you friends))- gas works as well- whatever, but just get the carbon ring off the pintle- it`ll look like a black ring- remove it, buff with cloth- make shiny. Examine-> check the pintle for a ring groove- if theres a groove, it really needs to be replaced, but its still usable.
Now- look inside the throttle body where the pintle of the IAC sits- clean THAT seat as well- reinstall, drive.

This really is a all or nothing process on older jeeps- we do it at every oil change- clean the throttlebody, the butterfly-both sides- clean the IAC- ohm out the TPS and reset if out of range- reinstall everything and drive. Leave anything off that list, and you cheat yourself. Add 1 pint of Lucasoil top end cleaner to make for a little pep.

I took an IAC apart (by accident, not to be tried as it may ruin the IAC), circa 88 original, the grease behind the piston (on the screw rod) was dried and crusty. I let a few drops of synthetic oil run behind the piston, seems to work out for me and has never caused any damage that I'm aware of. I first tried various other lubricants, none of which seemed to work for long.

Last edited:
Back