• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Its the size of the torch that matters....

XJ_Vikings

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Im just finishing up my Novak shifter install, and my propane torch isn't cutting it as far as bending the shift rod. I'm hoping someone in the area has a big enough torch and some free time for me to swing by with some beer and bend it up. I'm in Simsbury CT right now and with snow approaching, am willing to drive a ways to get this thing done before the snow.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Nothin doin. Notched out about 33%, torched for 5 min solid, and not a budge. Theres a roll cage shop down the street from me, I might just stop by and see if he can do it up quick for me. Made great time installing the Novak, it sucks to be stuck right here

I have torches at the house

Thanks for the offers guys, heres what im thinking

Ill give mapp a try tomorrow morning, if that doesn't do it ill check out the fabrication shop down the road. If they wanna change me a first born child for 5 minutes of work then ill hit one of you guys up.

Nothin doin. Notched out about 33%, torched for 5 min solid, and not a budge. Theres a roll cage shop down the street from me, I might just stop by and see if he can do it up quick for me. Made great time installing the Novak, it sucks to be stuck right here

That's probably about how far I notched mine...it was years ago so I don't really remember.

But I did that, and had it in a big bench vise, with a 6 foot pipe on the other end. Still wasn't 'easy' per se.

Got the first bend done with the notching and MAPP gas. I started the second bend but my S shape was too close together for me to take 100% of the torque off the first bend. Sure enough, even after getting it as hot as possible and bending slow, the first one broke.

So, just went down to the hardware store and got 3' of 1/2" rod. Its all bent up well, now I just need to increase the diameter of the bottom section to get a good hold from the clamp on the Novak setup.

I'm really just trying to get this thing good before winter, so hopefully my hack method of JB welding a coil of wire around it will be sufficient until spring.

half inch rod is a pain to bend... I usually do it with a vice and a 3lb sledge. No heat required though I'm fairly certain it fatigues the metal somewhat to do it this way.

I usually only do this for exhaust hangars, so it works for me.

I used a vise and pipe wrench & heat (lots of propane for a long time) to adjust the angles of my Atlas shifters, same deal, it's 1/2" bar, it took a while but you can get it to work if you're patient.

Back