• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is windex okay...

Wow...nobody has suggested ArmourAll. It is a rubber conditioner that not only cleans, but conditions to keep rubber and vinyl from cracking.

I use it on the window rubber as well as the door seals. Keeps them soft, pliable, and looking good too.

OK, so I went out and got some ArmourAll yesterday and it says on the bottle that it leaves a shiny finish...I was just wondering, is this okay for window rubber? b/c I thought they were supposed to be a satin black finish?

It also says it cleans vinyl too and I'd like to clean the interior door, dash, etc as well.

OK, so I went out and got some ArmourAll yesterday and it says on the bottle that it leaves a shiny finish...I was just wondering, is this okay for window rubber? b/c I thought they were supposed to be a satin black finish?

It also says it cleans vinyl too and I'd like to clean the interior door, dash, etc as well.

I'm only speaking from personal experience. So, take it with a grain of salt.

I used to use Armor All all the time on my old CJ5 and other cars. It took me a long time to figure that the more I used that stuff, the more I had to keep using it. It would dry up all of my vinyl and plastic stuff. Then I switched to a high end product that can not be bought retail. WOW.. I maybe had to use it half the amount of time as Armor All... Then I lost that connection. So, I tried Meguiar's and have been using it for about 4 years on the recommendation of a friend of friend and I really like their products. So far it's been holding up to what they claim.

Oh, I will NEVER use Armor All again.

E

I'm only speaking from personal experience. So, take it with a grain of salt.

I used to use Armor All all the time on my old CJ5 and other cars. It took me a long time to figure that the more I used that stuff, the more I had to keep using it. It would dry up all of my vinyl and plastic stuff. Then I switched to a high end product that can not be bought retail. WOW.. I maybe had to use it half the amount of time as Armor All... Then I lost that connection. So, I tried Meguiar's and have been using it for about 4 years on the recommendation of a friend of friend and I really like their products. So far it's been holding up to what they claim.

Oh, I will NEVER use Armor All again.

E

Which Meguiars product do you use? I'm going tomorrow to look for the rubber and vinyl cleaner/protector.

Which Meguiars product do you use? I'm going tomorrow to look for the rubber and vinyl cleaner/protector.

The car wash, the bug remover, the vinyl cleaner/protector, the wipies, and one other that I can't remember right now.

I still have old stuff. I started off by testing the cleaner/protector, then started replacing older products as I run out.

That stuff will last a long time. I use a small rag and either spray it on the rag or the car, depending on the area and location. If you use a large rag or if you use a towel, it will soak up the product. I sometimes use a small part of a micro-fiber towel or a strip of an old t-shirt.

Try not to use it in the direct sun or when your car is hot. I usually detail the trim the day after I wash so that all the water is gone and the product can do what it's meant to do.

E

Whoa!! WD-40? Brakleen? Those probably break down the rubber and they are toxic so you shouldn't just spray them around willy nilly. Scrub them with an old toothbrush or something, maybe with some soap or isopropyl or vinegar. I coat my rubber seals with silicone oil or silicone grease.

OK I got the Meguiar's vinyl protector today and tried it out on one of the back window rubbers, and it seems to work to get the mud off, but it's also taking a lot of black off with it on the cloth. I'm using a small microfiber towel and there's a lot of black on the towel after I've rubbed the rubber. Is that supposed to happen? When I used the toothbrush, there wasn't any black that came off...but the toothbrush didn't get all the mud off...

It sounds like the rubber was already deteriorating. Some black will come off, but not a whole lot.

Does it continue to keep coming off while you are rubbing?? Try washing the rubber with mild soap and just a towel... and make sure you rinse is well.

My guess is that one of the other products you used started to eat away at it or it was the mud.. But doubt that it was the mud. It'll just leave a film on the rubber.

Any pics??

E

Oxidation.
Some black WILL will come off.
I've been getting it for the last 14 years.
You'll be fine, quit sweating the small shit and go wheeling or something.

Kisses....

Back