• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this normal pressure plate wear?(pics)

purvisdotcom

NAXJA Forum User
I am probably going to replace it anyways since the clutch kit was only $217, but I wanted to ask you guys is this finger wear normal or too much.

I have a feeling this clutch never needed replacing but rather only the TO bearing, but as long as the tranny is out I might as well. The clutch itself looks just as thick as the new one I bought.
jeep.jpg

jeep3.jpg

I suspect that these are almost new.
Thanks!

Since it's all apart you might as well. Check on-line sources for prices, Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php) has a pressure plate and disk for 86.79 and the pilot bearing is under 10. not sure what's in the kit you quoted. Refinishing the flyweel?

Ah, I see there's a release bearing and slave cylinder that's about $106.

Last edited:
Its hard to see the pressure plate well but the clutch seems OK. Look at the rivets that hold the sides together. There should be about .060" or more wear room before the heads get exposed.

Not really sure why ya tore it down? Plenty friction material left? What was it doing? to make ya think it was the clutch?

im doing autozone clutch kit 200$, new flywheel 53.99$, new downpipe (original rusted open), all new driveline fluids including diffs. Im installing these parts this weekend. U might as well do it if u dropped the tranny. Enjoy.

Thanks. I was having metal scraping sound that would go away when the clutch was pushed in. I have now found that the dust plate was hitting the flywheel, so I hammered that out and also the pilot bearing is not turning too easy. It's a bummer to waste money considering that I think most of the stuff is almost new, but I think I'll just slap in the new kit ($217) since I already have everything off.

Back