• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this aint an emergency i dont kno what is

yes a TRE is Tie rod end right it has threads on one side and the other side is round and has a stick with threads coming out of it where the dust boot goes
drag link im not to sure about
alignment01.jpg

Literally the first thing that came up on google images when i searched drag link. Tie rod ends are at either end of your drag link and tie rod.

Ok according to that picture up there the side of that drag link that connects to the pitnum and thats where the dust boot is split at.

PITMAN!

For now don't worry about the split, yank on that thing (or have a helper spin the wheel back and forth a little) and see if there is any play in it. And try yanking on it pretty hard. If it falls apart don't put it back together and drive it... buy a new one and install it. THEN worry about the split boot.

A split boot won't kill you, your drag link flying off the pitman arm when you hit a bump WILL.

I have a 1/2 inch torque wrench problem is that the torque with a 3/4 socket on it wont reach the lug nuts through the annoying hole that covers each of my lug nuts (stupid rim) but i have a 4 way tire wrench again i never had a wheel come off on me with one of these.
I put my new rotor on bent the backing plate a little so it wont scrap on the rotor and i straighten out my brake holding metal pieces they were bent a little.
I then put on the lug nuts it a star pattern like im suppose too and tighten them down to evenly
NOYE: when i was removing the caliper to take off brakes to switch rotors i for got to compress the brakes with a c-clamp!!!!!!:-( is this gonna be a problem I got the caliper back on my brakes feel like i can press them to the floor then again they feel a little spongy like?
also i noticed with the wheel off that the little black bushing on the bottom of the pitnum arm is split right down the middle
did i put 1 that was to little cause i remember putting that on there when i change my steering box
could that be cause noise while driving
?
Umm, if I were you, I would make sure every nut on your TRE's are TIGHT and put the cotter pin back in. Make sure the large nut on Pitman Arm is very tight. Also,since you replaced your steering box, make sure all the mounting hardware is still tight. This is a common cause of clunking in the front end of Jeeps. Good luck and be safe and way to hang in there whilst everyone is giving you a hard time:wow:

I'm a Service mgr. at a wally mart Tire lube express and recently There was a memo. sent out to all tire lube's talking about "wheel off" claims and that jeep was the #1 culprit for the claims.......

What do you guys torque your lugs at, Wally world torques them to 100 ft/lbs.........

I torque em with a 4-way lug wrench till it feels about right. Never had an issue, I check them again after I drive a few miles, then again at ~50 miles, then again at 100, etc. Once they stop getting loose again, I call it done. I also have the good sense to pull over wherever I am when I hear a funny noise and investigate, never found a loose lug while doing so. I've never stripped a lug, either.

Now that I have a torque wrench I really should do it right, I guess.

EDIT: my2monkeys, you'd give him a hard time too if you looked through his thread history. Every single thread is about some really stupid question or easy to solve/search thing and most of them include "help dont kno what to do" or similar in the title. It gets a bit tiring especially when he can't, or won't, follow instructions. I am all for helping whoever I can but I get pretty tired of this kind of nonsense after a while. I've pretty much had it, I know from this thread and the last few I'm not the only one thinking these things, and someone had to just man up and say it.

Last edited:
I use a 4 way and torque to the "it feels tight enough... so give it a bit more and call it a day" spec. Never bothered to re-check it after any number of miles (I know I probably should, but I dont). I have also never had any issues with it.

Well, I have had lug problems twice. Once when I bought the Heep and the PO had brought it to a shop that torqued them with what I can only assume was a 8' breaker bar. I will leave it at: I was able to just about stand on a 2 foot breaker bar on a couple of the lugs... and I'm no lightweight.

And the 2nd lug issue I had was when I picked up a set of locking lug nuts because I needed something cheap. The locking lug stripped out so I had a fun time with that... but that's not the torque spec's fault :laugh3:

So yeah, idk what people are doing to cause them to lose tires regularly.

I take that back. I may kill myself anyway without any of you in my driveway bothering me.
:eeks1:

If you are anything like our OP then that may very well happen.

I torque em with a 4-way lug wrench till it feels about right. Never had an issue, I check them again after I drive a few miles, then again at ~50 miles, then again at 100, etc. Once they stop getting loose again, I call it done. I also have the good sense to pull over wherever I am when I hear a funny noise and investigate, never found a loose lug while doing so. I've never stripped a lug, either.

EDIT: my2monkeys, you'd give him a hard time too if you looked through his thread history. Every single thread is about some really stupid question or easy to solve/search thing and most of them include "help dont kno what to do" or similar in the title. It gets a bit tiring especially when he can't, or won't, follow instructions. I am all for helping whoever I can but I get pretty tired of this kind of nonsense after a while. I've pretty much had it, I know from this thread and the last few I'm not the only one thinking these things, and someone had to just man up and say it.
Yes Sir I see your point.:banghead::confused1

Yeah well i guess i should be the one with the balls to say its a forum to help out what the $%#@ u expect! half the time I get so many answers it hard to remember to try everything
but here's some thing to add to your "getting tired" of book
since i been on this site i saved my self a life's fortune
which is what i would have spent fixing this jeep
for someone who supposedly doesn't follow directions well I sure followed something the way i was suppose too!

Yes, we are a site and many of us are willing to help out with getting an issue resolved. I have also saved myself a small fortune, not to mention I have improved my XJ exponentially from a POS to something worthwhile.

I think what causes some undue (and some due) angst is that many of the questions I have seen posted by yourself include either ridiculous things like this: losing a tire on the road after ignoring strange rumbling sounds, or other simple things that could be solved with a search rather than creating a new thread, or multiple threads on one issue. Now first things first to get it out of the way to cover my ass, your first post about losing a tire did not mention how long it had been rumbling.. maybe it was making noise for 5 seconds before the tire shot off, idk... maybe some of us jumped to conclusions that it was rumbling for a good long while when it wasn't. Then again you made it sound like it was making noise for a while so maybe you did drive for a couple miles like that. i dont care, its in the past, it's done

Now I will be the first to admit.. I have created my share of duplicate threads either because my google-fu was off that day or because I was stressed beyond belief and was short on time. Sh*t happens and we will be very willing to help. But when we see a single name that frequently seems to be associated with common/simple questions or the same topic... well I think you can figure out what happens

I mean even earlier I (and others) posted about TREs and the drag link and you mentioned that you didn't know what the drag link was or something, I forget the specifics... Yeah there was a time when I had no clue what a drag link was. I then searched or was told, and I learned. You are currently doing the same and that isn't a problem. what I think would be a good idea is to search a bit. And don't just rely on the NAXJA search. 99% of my searches involve me going to google and searching "*insert topic here* NAXJA.org". Helps out alot, I got some sh*t myself when I JUST used the naxja search, now I use google and fine alot of stuff I wouldn't have otherwise.

As Kastein said, "every single thread is about some really stupid question or easy to solve/search thing". I'm not trying to be a hard ass here, but really... pick up a haynes and do some searches. You could have easily found out alot of what you needed to know with searches. I did a quick search on threads you created. 2 of them had reference to an emergency in the title, 5 of them were in reference to your electrical gremlins (all related to lights), one asking about XJ fuel economy, one about turn signals (so that makes 6 related to lights), and several other common questions... and that was only the first page of recent threads!

Just figured I would give a bit of where this griping is coming from. Not trying to bash on you (too much :)) but trying to point out where people are coming from so you can maybe help yourself out a bit.

Last edited:
Ok OK guys i search my threads and i definitely see the point "Kastein" and themangeraaad. I guess I panic too often sorry for not understanding I just love my XJ and I hate when people tell me to trash the thing I work so hard on it I couldn't even imagine having to trash the thing. Again I am sorry for any thing I said that seem out of wack.

Now back to my Xj :)
I think I have to listen now and really give a good check on my suspension
and find out whats all the trouble down there

Back