• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is this a header or manifold?

while I work on this, I will replace the bad engine mount and might add a chain to keep the engine down to prevent excessive torquing so that should help also

If the mounts are good, including the trans mount, it should handle a stock 4.0's torque. However, my brothers 1966 Mercury Cyclone with a 390 in it was constantly blowing mounts under hard acceleration, and that would jam the throttle wide open--pucker factor scale a 10.

Be sure and check/replace the bolts in the plates that attach to the block--they like to turn up missing/broke.

with new mounts for the motor and the trans you should not have to tie the motor down...

Just get a good motor mount. MORE and Brown dog are good mounts but cost some more $$...

Firstly, the gasket that came with it was, indeed, crummy and frayed. Had to waste an hour or more going to the parts store to get another one. Do yourself a favor and just buy a Felpro before-hand like somebody here said.

Glad you took my advice and went with a Felpro. I've been meaning to take comparison pictures of each gasket as I have them both sitting on my floor at the moment...been to busy with presentations last week and finals this week. I'll snap a picture of each when I get home here in a couple of hours so others can see.

Comparison shots. APN gasket is pictured on top, Felpro on the bottom. Thought this would be useful in case anybody else watching this thread is about to do this project, or somebody happens to come along this after using that weird search thingy up top...

1003276h.jpg

Part # on the Felpro is MS 93094

Heh.

"Screw" - a threaded fastener that is accepted directly by one or more of the mating parts, with no secondary fastener. Wood screws and sheetmetal screws are obvious examples of this.

"Bolt" - a threaded fastener that is accepted by a secondary fastener (nut,) and not RPT not by any of the mating parts.

Put simply, "a bolt is a screw with a nut on it." Properly stated, the fasteners that hold the cylinder head down would be called "screws." As would the fasteners for the differential cover, oil sump, timing chain cover, camshaft timing gear, ...

A "bolt" would be an example of most suspension fasteners (the nut may be welded to a mating part, but it is not the mating part, the fasteners for brake backing plates, and the like.

Note that this has nothing to do with head style - and that, in engineering terms, threaded fasteners are generally called out as "screws" unless you know a nut is going onto it in the final application (which is why you'll see "socket head capscrew," "hex head capscrew," "flat head capscrew," "reduced hex head capscrew," "flange head capscrew," and the like.)

So now, when you see me refer to "cylinder head screws," you'll have some idea of what I'm really talking about and why (because I've been doing that for a while...) I'd still like to know where the phrase "gudgeon pin" came from - I like it...

I have installed 2 APN's. They both work great. A GearWrench Flex head makes the bottom bolts simple. - http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wrenches/ratcheting/flex_combination/ - Torque all the fasteners you can access with the torque wrench, use your GearWrench to get the "feel" of proper torque, and then torque the final fasteners by "feel".

It also helps to check the fit of the APN with the stock intake. Sometimes you have to grind a tiny bit off of either one or both, to get them to fit together and sit flat on the head.

Just got the APN yesterday then I swapped the manifolds right away (I used FelPro gasket, theirs came in soaked with something on both end).

the old one was still attached with very little piece of tube, I sawzalled it off to get the manifold out and pull the down pipe so i can sawzall the bolts off the flanges

index.php

Hmmm...for the price of these, I think I might get one next month. Any noticable difference in sound quality? hp gain? mileage?

Back