• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a winch necessary?

That firestick would drive me insane right there. lol

Its a Wilson:doh: Its not that bad plus i get awesome transmission with that hood bouncing the signal. It also allows it to lay down on the hood during tree limb encounters. When I build my quarter guards it will bet moved to the back though.

You should never wheel anywhere alone where you couldn't walk out period. Mechanical failures happen. I've blown a tranny wheeling, winch won't get you home. I hydro locked a 95 grandcheerokee throwing 2 rods in the process. If your going to wheel alone, especially with your family, bring survival gear and be prepared to walk. This is why a recommend against a winch for novice wheelers. It's a crutch, winches fail, parts fail, be ready to hoof it it you wheel alone.

When talking about recovery when out alone, that is one of the dumbest things I've heard. Either way, if you actual wheel, then that is a terrible statement. I would never chose a Hi lift over a winch to get myself/someone else unstuck.

I agree a winch does ALOT more than look cool.. Also i agree if your going to wheel regulary GET a winch if not now soon, although fun can be had without one especially if you stay within limits where ur rig is capable . But even then getting stuck will happen get a winch for you and yer family it's a good bet to be prepared and I recommend a hi lift for emergency manual winching as well

And choosing hi lift over a winch? never !!
but as a backup or only option because of $ ... You bet!

You guys do know I'm talking about using the high lift as a come along right? The reason I ask is Running Free saying they don't work well on a swampy road.. The road has nothingto do with it when ur using it this way.....

Last edited:
You guys do know I'm talking about using the high lift as a come along right? The reason I ask is Running Free saying they don't work well on a swampy road.. The road has nothingto do with it when ur using it this way.....

Cant get much of a pull on the Hi-lift if your feet are sliding underneath you

For pulling duties:
Winch > come along > highlift

I would get one.

I got stuck last night going down a class 6 road in CT. Everything looked fine, I was about to turn around and see if I could find another way through because it looked like the road was getting pretty steep and I was reasonably sure there was a washed out bridge further down, so I went a bit to the left to hang a U-turn in a clearing and... stopped. There was a pile of brush and leaves on top of a tall stump that I didn't even see. Got stuck pretty good (no lockers in that jeep, nose down on a hilll with a solid stump wedged under the front crossmember) and ended up rocking it back and forth and digging with my hands till I could get it backed up far enough to turn sharply and miss the stump. Drove right back out, but was definitely quite worried for a few.

If I'd had a winch I would have been out in 5 minutes instead of an hour plus, and wouldn't have torn up my hands and arms digging in semi frozen muck in a pile of thorn bushes...

EDIT: PS, high lifts are dangerous if not used very carefully and I would rather use a winch when possible... faster, easier, safer since you can use it alone and have the motor pulling as well, and will get you much further. If you blow a trans or a motor you are still screwed, that's why you should wheel an MJ, just bring spare ones with you.

Last edited:
Cant get much of a pull on the Hi-lift if your feet are sliding underneath you

For pulling duties:

I hadn't thought of that haha.. Can't pull if yer falling over!

I think maybe I had a crappy come along (gift) as I prefer the high lift for manual over at least my crappy come along...

Glad you got 'er out kastein I got stuck trying to turn around one time (turning around to avoid getting stuck) front wheels dropped in a ditch hidden in grass deep enough I was resting on front"frame".. Got out in less than 5 mins. W the ole winch

If you don't have your own winch, don't wheel around me. LOL

I hate being on a trail with someone with out a winch. Even though I have a winch... it's a royal PIA sometimes to turn around and try and winch them out. A lot of times you end up having to strap off to something and it just sucks. If you can't afford a nice winch atleast buy one of the cheapo $299 ones. It will make your friends want to be around you on the trail more.

It's just like wheeling with the guy that has 35's on his d-35... something is going to happen and then your going to stuck there with him too.

It's cheap insurance. You can get a winch and one of my bumpers to your door and on your jeep for under $600.

Last edited:
I know that wheeling alone isn't advisable, but most of our friends do not own off-road worthy vehicles nor do I want to have to coordinate something with local wheelers anytime we want to go explore. I'm not talking about going places where my rig isn't capable, i'm not an idiot, especially when my family is involved.

And carrying survival gear/food and supplies even if it is a quick trip will always be on the list.

The main reason I was asking is to get feedback on whether or not it gets used a lot on these types of trails...When I posted I didn't take into account fallen down trees which would be a pita to deal with either finding a way around, moving the tree or heading back the way we came.

I appreciate all of the good feedback though. A winch will definitely be on the list, it just might have to wait a little while and I'll use a come-a-long and hi-lift until funds and wife approve.

Action Fab, I do like your bumpers... couple questions though. Having the winch mounted down there, does it limit the type/brands of winches that can be used due to space?

And do you make a bumper that sticks out a little farther from the grill? It looks like the integrated solenoid one does. The reason I ask, is I'd like to add a brush guard/bar to it to protect the front end a little better.

I have one of the WARN Hidden Winch mounts for a XJ still new in the box! Its a neat set-up and only pushes the front bumper forward maybe an inch or so. You may want to look into one of those. I plan on keeping mine for now just cause they are so hard to come by.

another thing - if you are going to bring a chainsaw with you, a few things to keep in mind:
* I am fairly certain some states will have a real issue with you (i.e. fines, confiscation, etc) if you are found to be carrying a chainsaw in a national/state forest or park. Even if your intentions are 100% honorable and you will only cut a downed tree that is across a legally marked trail, carrying a chainsaw can reflect very poorly on you. Check your local laws, speak with the police and/or forest service to make sure you are in the clear.
* ALWAYS wear full gloves (welding gloves at a minimum), steel toed boots, proper kevlar chainsaw chaps, a heavy coat, and eye protection. You do not want to even see a chainsaw wound nevermind experience one first hand.

A winch won't get you in trouble anywhere that I am aware of, and you can use one to drag downed trees out of your way with no problems. Be careful rigging it so that the cable won't come unhooked and make sure the cable is in good shape before each pull.

For pulling duties:
Oh yeah,..

Winch: 80'-100' pull easily achievable - common usage.
Come along: 15' pull not impossible, but realistically you'll re-rig after 10'.
Hi-lift: re-rig after 3'-4'(depends on the length of your hi-lift)not counting taking the slack out of the line. Lucky if you get 2' per pull.

Using a hi-lift as a winch is possible, but extremely slow and a last resort kind of option.

now that you mention it I got stuck in the middle of soft gravel bed in a wide creek one time (shallow) with a hi lift only and had to re rig a few times.. ( sucks) but when I used it I mostly got out after the first rig mebbe I don't get stuck in wide enough pits (i avoid fields and wide patches of mud).. And we have many trees and skinny trails where I go

I think it may be time to invest in a decent come along to use as a back up.. If I ever finish my current project (axles and oba)

Its better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it. If you live somewhere where you get snow then its def a good choice to have one.

Back