• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is 6" to high for me?

I think it was a serious jest! We do that a lot here but usually it is Beezil at the end of the jest! LOL!

Seriously

Decaf.
Until you learn the tone of this board and how some of us get our point across, perhaps you should just observe for awhile.
You came here asking a question, if you don't like the answers, ask different questions.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
hey what gives i have rockrails and all the cool stuff and all i do is park in flower beds at the mall.. as previously stated ... decaf.. and lighten up its a BB not your crucifiction :D

hey bigolboy......i wasn't coming down on you man. like i said in my previous, this was coming from my experience. i am more of an avid camper/ paddler/ hiker and i have spent the last year and mucho dinero trying to finish what i started when i put 6.5" and 33s under my XJ just so i'll feel comfortable taking it in the woods, or on the interstate for that matter.

Karmir......don't knock my dice, they come in handy for those all nighters and no pillow

Rockhound

You asked how to fit 33's on your rig. I have 33's at 5" lift on my daily driver that I occasionally take through the swamps of Florida and to Tellico usually twice per year.
5" and 33's takes a good deal of fender trimming. I also like the TJ flares. A rear SYE is almost always needed. I don't know of anyone who makes one for the 207. I like my long arms even at only 5". Not necessary but much nicer ride. Drop brackets would work to. Go with full lift spring packs. Blocks suck on the lightweight spring packs of the XJ. Save them for the ford pickup mudboggers.
I think the point is that it takes time to get to know the capabilities of any vehicle and the XJ has some real eccentricities. Building a monster right off the bat can lead one to taking trails that the rig can handle, but a driver without a lot of experience (in that vehicle) can get into trouble on.
A lot of what we talk about here is the learning process of wheeling. Also, the lower the vehicle is, the harder it is to roll. Most of us started at 3" and 31's. I would suggest you try 4.5 and 33's for a while. You might be surprised how much you like it. 6" and up is a big step up in complexity of design as well as expense especially to make it work as a daily driver.
Good luck
mattk
PS. XJMark, e-mail me. I live in Seminole. We should talk.

Okay dude! I'm probly gonna get ragged on for this post but... since it seems to me that you're going for "the look" more than function, I'd say do whatever is cheapest. Go with the 3"springs and a 3" block if ya want. There's probly not too much cost difference between a 5" and 6" lift kit. Do you like the look of "lotsa air between the tire and fender" or "big meat/little truck"? Big picture... would be cheaper to lift low and cut big than to lift big and cut none. Personally I'd prefer the lower ctr of gravity. Don't bother buying swaybar disco's if you're just going camping or fishing occasionally (unless you just like to spend your $$$) Not sure of an SYE for the 207, but there's a place in AZ that built a CV style shaft(sorta) that used the slip yoke. Don't know nothing about it other than they made it. You could check it out, damn can't remember the name of the shop. Hope this helps. I'm really not sure exactly what you're wanting, but if it's just an XJ that looks cool, it should be easy.

I'd say go with a good 4.5. If you need more lift for your streeter you can always add some coil spacers & a small block in the rear to get that big 6" your looking for.

As for the tone of your replies, chill out, every street jeeper gets pissy when someone tells them to use the vehicle for what it was built for. Jeezus. I drove mine with 35s & 8" daily for years, and I wheeled it hard on the weekends + glamis & camping & everything else. (Now it's retired from the daily grind.) BTW, rock-rigs can do camping just fine, lol.

I've also seen lots of Chevvvys that had front lift blocks, so clearing 37's doesn't buy you alot of credibility. :)

I understand what your saying vintage...I guess i shouldnt have said street only. I like to go offroad alot but im just not into flexing my stuff a whole lot. I like general trails and exploring my ranch. But it will be my DD. As for front blocks...damn i know what your talkin about, i cant imagine how unsafe that would be. MY Blazer had 4" springs, 4" shackle flip in rear with 1" zero rate (tapered block) and 8" front springs. Man did that thing ride stiff on the road.It flexed like mad but not alot of road manners. I miss it alot , but im hopin to have as much fun with my new XJ.

Re: No need for a SYE

BIG98XJ said:
I`m at 8" in the front and 7" in the rear, just had my local driveline place cut and extend my driveshaft four about $85, sure I get some vibration but you can beat the price!:D

Right up to the day that the worst five minutes of your life occurs..... the steady increase in vibes at an alarming rate followed by the sickening crunch of the chain as it freezes and twist the remainder of the thin aluminum case with it. :rolleyes:

Agreed.
Dealing with vibes, of any kind, is a welcome mat to disaster.
Just like a loud stereo will mask that clunk in the engine, a band aid is still a band aid.
Do it safe or don't do it.

Ive ran my XJ hard for the past year with that driveshaft, of course Ive repleced two sets of u joints but so far so good!

I run 5.5 inches of lift with the stock driveline. I just have a 4* shim and a set of 3/4" lift shackles. The angle isn't ideal but I don't get vibes and have plenty of play in the yoke. I don't go through u-joints any faster than I did stock.

azxjman said:
I have to ask frankNbrew what the hell do you need a t-case skid plate and rock rails for if you never take your jeep off road. I can see the lift and tires because it looks nice but why the rock protection is it for those really big speed bumps.

Just because I haven't gone wheeling doesn't mean I'm never going to. It's better to be prepared should the need arise.

my 3" of lift and 31's have made it up Daniel at Uwharrie on a slick day with little problem, the only problem was banging my underbody and diffs on the rocks, but its still pretty stout, and if u want the 6" of lift more power to you brother, mine would be bigger if my wallett were bigger, but im jes a poor college kid

CW. said:
I run 5.5 inches of lift with the stock driveline. I just have a 4* shim and a set of 3/4" lift shackles. The angle isn't ideal but I don't get vibes and have plenty of play in the yoke. I don't go through u-joints any faster than I did stock.

Newsflash!
The laws of physics are at work whether you'd like them to be or not....
It doesn't have to vibrate to blow up. Vibration is just a side effect of runout. Runout can and will occur without any vibration.
The stock engineering of the rear out put sucks.... A SYE kit is a good idea for longevity on even an unlifted XJ with the sorry design that the factory put it out with..

Ive got rustys 4.5 lift and I can run 33s without trimming
I run 32s but if I wassent concered with flex and just drove on the road 33s would be fine

Back