• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed Zj Steering

use a pickle fork, tre fork, tre seperator, whateva you might want to call it Mine poped right out when I did mine.

magimerlin said:
use a pickle fork, tre fork, tre seperator, whateva you might want to call it Mine poped right out when I did mine.
actually they sell a tie rod end tool at 90% or your auto parts places for like $10-$20 that is so easy my wife can do tie rod ends.

ADVNTURR said:
Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the one joint out of the pitman arm w/o taking the pitman arm off and putting it in a press (like my pitman arm would come off anyways considering I can't even get the stupid ball joints out)?
Hit the pitman arm at that joint with a sharp blow from a hammer, should fall right out. Mine did when I did this ZJ steering. Same thing worked again when I did the steering box.

Last edited:
I used the pickle fork or however. One quick shot and it dropped right out. Sometimes when your putting it back in you might think you have something wrong but just tap it in and it's a perfect fit.

I was having a brain fart last night and completely forgot about a pickle fork. Bought one on the way home today.

After another 30 or so minutes with the pickle fork, now what? It is still in the pitman arm and hasn't even tried to move. For the "get a bigger hammer" crowd, I was swinging my custom built 15lb dead blow sledge at it and guess what, ain't happenin'. I have however managed to start to deform the pickle fork.

I would like to try heating it, but I'm really concerned about setting my Jeep on fire considering all of the grease in the bushing and it being directly under the motor. I liberally coated it with some more PB for the night. Going to mess with it more tomorrow. I'm tempted to clamp the heck out of the top side with a pair of vice-grips and try to break it free with some torque, but i don't want to mess the head up and risk damaging the pitman when (if) I ever get it free.

have you tried some good old WD-40......and a light blow with a hammer.....It might sound funny, but the reality is a blow with a hammer (NOT A BLOW TO KILL IT, just a medium tap) could loosen her up!

ADVNTURR said:
I just took Gerr up on this deal and I have to say that the shipping is pretty darn impressive. I ordered Tuesday and it was at my door when I got home today. Thanks a lot.

However, I want to have cds36 come work on my Jeep. 1 hour to install??? You are one lucky guy. I have about 2.5 hours into it and I still don't have the old steering off (granted it took me about an hour to get the skid plate off the front since one of the "frame" nuts broke free and I had to figure out how to cut the bolt).

Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the one joint out of the pitman arm w/o taking the pitman arm off and putting it in a press (like my pitman arm would come off anyways considering I can't even get the stupid ball joints out)?

Agreed on GERR's shipping, he is one quick puppy!!!

I've really about had it. I am now $50 in tools into this project, can't put my front skid back on unless I drill out some snapped bolts, just broke a bolt on my swaybar, hopefully I haven't damaged my steering box with all of the pounding, and the pitman arm ball joint is still sitting there. I have heated it, I've hit it with PB Blaster, I've tried wicking wax down into the joint, I've hit the pitman the joint and the nut on the joint with various size hammers from different directions, I've double nutted it and tried to spin it free. Nothing is moving this joint.

Assuming I figure out how to get my swaybar off without breaking any more bolts so that I can get to the pitman arm, what size is the nut? I guess I'll have to go buy a pitman puller that I can break too.

Or would I be better off just taking all the parts, limping it to the dealer and saying "good luck?"

hahaa wow i didnt even realize that thing was 2wd till the last second damn. I run JCR and for 7" and i really wish i had went with another kit

Back