• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed SYE, now vibes (??)

So 14 deg. shaft and 13 deg. pinion. That sounds about right to me.
You should have the pinion ~ 1 deg. below the shaft.
Nailing the gas will cause the pinion to rotate up around 1 deg.

Is the yoke butted right up against the lip on the shaft? mack sure there is a gap on the backside where the bolt threads in so there is actual tension holding the yoke to the shaft.

Many people have H&T SYE's and have no issues.

Right...i think vibes, that are caused by the yoke itself, are only an issue if the outputshaft and the yoke are cut off too short. Having too less spline-length, you get too much play in there, that causes the vibrations. Actually the yoke does look pretty short on Porch's pictures! Looks similar to when i had it on my Jeep.

Nevertheless, you should get that pinion angle right! Just to be sure, it wouldn't be bad to check the front driveshaft, by driving without it, too.

If it's not too expensive let the rear ds be checked for balance...maybe it's not the main problem, but causes part of the vibes too!? Driving without the rear ds won't get you any smarter...in any case the vibes are gone...but if the yoke itself is the problem, the vibes are only gone, because there is no more weight tearing on it, while the ds is not installed. Same goes for the pinion yoke.

Welding the yoke to the shaft should solve the problem. But you won't be able to open your Transfercase anymore! (Well at least not without grinding down the weld before) Keeping in mind, that you already "killed" your output shaft, and the only possibility (if welding doesn't work) is a "real" SYE, that includes a hole new shaft.....why not try it !? At least it can't get any worse!

Last edited:
I can't work on my Jeep while i'm at my day job. :moon: I was wondering why i got two votes for the front drive shaft when nothing changed but the back one?

I checked the angles. The driveshaft shows 14* while the pinion (or at least the flat part below the pinion) measures 13*. The guy at IRO said 3* but i guess i wasn't clear whether that was to raise or lower the pinion angle. Do i need 2* or 4* of shims?

its amazing how much of a difference a couple degrees makes.

you want the pinion yoke pointing towards the t-case minus 1-2 degrees below it to make up for axle wrap upon acceleration (when the vibes are generally the most pronounced)

Okay, that makes sense. I'll put some shims in there, i guess i need them one way or another!

I'll have to see if there's a driveshaft place less than 100 miles away to get that checked as well. Thanks for all the help!

Back