• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed lift, driveshaft too long now?

Pistnbroke

NAXJA Forum User
I went from a 4 inch lift with blocks to 4.5 inch rear leafs and 5.5 inch rear coils. I also added re control arm drop brackets. For some reason my rear drive shaft is too long now and I can't for the life of me think of why? Do I need to buy a sye and use a front drive shaft or what? This jeep has given me nothing but problems haha. It's got the Dana 35 rearend and a 231 transfer case, it's an automatic

Did you install the leafs correctly.....vs........backwards? The pin isn't in the center on most leaf springs and can move things a bit.

Xj springs backwards would give him a driveshaft that would be like 7" to short. Many people do that on purpose to extend wheelbase. That is not what happened here. How short are you on the shaft?

You could redrill the spring pack hole back but just as they move forward on droop, they will on compression move back. This can cause contact with rear quarters. But then again you could roll your quarters (cut and tuck)! I ran Chevy 1/2 redrilled springs back in the 90's for years with no issues!

I didn't think you could install the leaf springs back wards because the bushings are different sizes. The drive shaft is about an inch to an inch and half too long now. I just need to know if a sye will fix this before I spend the money. I probably need one since I had vibration at acceleration on my 3 inch kit anyway

it will fix it, provided you measure for your new driveshaft properly.

You'll also need to change the pinion angle with some shims.

I would not make measurements for a fancy new shaft with a d35. replace it.

I didn't think you could install the leaf springs back wards because the bushings are different sizes. The drive shaft is about an inch to an inch and half too long now. I just need to know if a sye will fix this before I spend the money. I probably need one since I had vibration at acceleration on my 3 inch kit anyway

See if you can find a driveline shop in your area. It is pretty cheap to have a drive shaft cut and rebalanced.

When I lifted my XJ I had the new perches made with extra holes and new spring plates to match. Moved the axle back roughly 3/4-1" ... It could also be done by redrilling the stock perches and plates accordingly. Helps to re-enter the wheel after the lift.

Back