• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed a 62mm Throttle Body

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to pass along my experience with the installation of a 62mm throttle body this past weekend for those who may be contemplating this mod. First off, my XJ is my daily driver and is basically stock except for a K&N FIPK. I saw the installation of a bored-out TB as an easy way to gain a little power and perhaps even an increase in gas mileage. My next upgrade will be the installation of a freer-flowing cat-back exhaust system. Probably a Dynomax Super Turbo system from Summit 'cause I'm a cheap-o. ;)

I did a bit of research in trying to find the "right" place to buy my TB. I checked the usual places, but finally settled on one from Jeff Leigh at Leigh Performance Machine (http://www.strokedjeep.com/). I purchase it through his eBay store because of his free shipping and low core charge ($60). Jeff's eBay seller ID is jeffl931 and he always answered my questions quickly and offered valuable tips on installation. I received my TB within just a few days and I must say I was amazed by the quality of Jeff's craftsmanship and attention to detail. The TB was finished in a beautiful, wet-black powder coat finish and the throttle plate was perfectly machined for a precise fit. I couldn't wait to get this puppy bolted onto my XJ.

First, I disconnected the positive side of the battery. Getting the old unit off entailed merely unplugging the electrical connectors from the three sensors on the TB and disconnecting the throttle and transmission cables (I have an auto trans.). Then, using a 10mm socket, I backed out the 4 bolts securing the TB to the intake manifold. So far, no sweat whatsoever. Next came moving the 3 sensors from the old TB to the new one. This requires the use of a T-20 torx driver. I had a bit of difficulty loosening a few of these screws for fear of shearing them off. However, I found that if I tapped the center of the screws with the torx driver and a hammer, they came out with no problems. A drop of Loctite on each screw had the sensors mounted on the new TB within minutes. Even though Jeff had sent me a new gasket to mount the TB, it appeared that old one was still in good enough shape to have re-used. I elected to use the new one just to be safe. I carefully lined-up the gasket and throttle body on the intake and installed the 4 mounting bolts almost finger tight. While the TB was still just slightly loose on the intake, I made sure that the throttle plate was able to fully open without scraping either the gasket or the intake itself. Jeff had pointed out that many of the "whistling" problems associated with bored-out TBs was due to misalignment as well as poorly machined units. When I was satisfied with the alignment, I tightened the 4 bolts, but not overly so. My XJ's intake is made of aluminum, so overtightening could do some major damage to it. A few minutes later I had all the electrical connections back in place along with the throttle and transmission cables. It was time to start her up!

I had read elsewhere to expect a high idle and some rough running until the engine's computer has had time to re-adjust itself to the increased air flow of the new TB. However, much to my surprise and delight, my XJ started right up and immediately settled into a nice, smooth idle of about 700rpm. I, of course, hopped right in for a test drive. First thing I noticed was that throttle tip-in and response seems more immediate and there are absolutely no flat spots from idle through full throttle. And there is absolutely no whistle at all! I am absolutely thrilled. I can't say, for sure, whether I "feel" any real
HP improvement, that'll take a little more time. I'm hoping that this, along with my K&N FIPK will squeak out another 0.5 mpg or so. Although, with the improved throttle response and throaty intake sound, I doubt I'll give it a chance to return any mileage improvements. ;-)

I just wanted to share how happy I am both with this modification and where I got it from. I hope it helps a few who have been contemplating this change to go ahead and take the plunge, you won't be disappointed.

Dave

Last edited:
brent said:
... rear wheel hp, only 5 more hp, ...

Hmm, "only" 5 more rear wheel hp. Lessee, the engine is rated @190 hp and I believe this is the old SAE gross rating. That means hp as measured at the crank with no accessories (AC compressor, power steering pump, alternator, etc.) and no adjustment for driveline loss. Hmm, 5 more "real world" horsepower for about 100 bucks (plus improved throttle response IMHO) don't sound like such a bad deal to me (plus it took me only about a half-hour with no welding/cutting/blood). Just my opinion tho'. :)

Dave

Last edited:
The 190hp rating is not sae gross, but rather sae net. The car makers changed from gross to net ratings in '71/72. But that still doesn't equate to rear wheel horsepower.

2001XJeep said:
The 190hp rating is not sae gross, but rather sae net. The car makers changed from gross to net ratings in '71/72. But that still doesn't equate to rear wheel horsepower.

Thanks for the correction, I wasn't sure. I just wanted to make sure we understood what a 5 hp gain at the rear wheels truly meant. It's just one of those "apples to oranges" thingies. Rear wheel hp is what we feel in our butts as we press our collective accellerator pedals. Manufacturer hp ratings (even though ChryCo was pretty conservative with the 4.0L's advertised ratings) are kinda like EPA mpg ratings (until just this year when mfg. hp ratings are in the midst of being revised): they are derived from labs and have little to do with real-world driving.

I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse here. I was just was trying to offer an objective review of my experience with an upgrade that I feel may be often considered by many that frequent this forum.

I enjoyed the posting and appreciate it. I have often thought about installing a 62mm throttle body on mine but have been concerned that there would be some negative effects, or it would start a chain of mods that I would have to keep making to get everything happy.

From your experience I would say it's very much worth the investment.

I thought it was interesting that the local machine shop bored tb got better # than the Rubicon express one both 42mm

i to purchased one of these frome jeff and have to say Great product! automaticly noticed the diference in responce power and a little bit of agressive tone. all and all a great experience and i highly recomend. a+++

I personally LUV HP! Never enough! My old Dodge started with 280. Bumped to 400, next move was heads and go to 650, then mod more and go to 800!

If it will give me more HP I'll take it!

Do they make flat top pistons for a 90' 4.0? I love torque to! :)

Does Keith Black make a Jeep mill? (dreamin I know)

Start talkin HP and I just get all warm and fuzzy inside..........:star:

Whats the 90' 4.0 rated at? (im gonna cry!)

oneredxj said:
i to purchased one of these frome jeff and have to say Great product! automaticly noticed the diference in responce power and a little bit of agressive tone. all and all a great experience and i highly recomend. a+++

I'm pretty sure that couldn't sound more like a positive ebay feedback if it tried. Also, with a whopping 1 post, I'll bet that is somebody trying to get themselves a little buisness. If that is the case, that kinda crap would make me never want to buy from a seller.

Cjmartz2k said:
I'm pretty sure that couldn't sound more like a positive ebay feedback if it tried. Also, with a whopping 1 post, I'll bet that is somebody trying to get themselves a little buisness. If that is the case, that kinda crap would make me never want to buy from a seller.

I would agree with ya if I didn't know that Jeff's (the seller) user name is RADIOTECH123. Also, I kinda doubt that he would do any self-promotion. He's a one-man operation that does these throttle bodies in his spare time. I really don't think he's looking at breaking into the aftermarket parts biz as much as he just loves Jeeps and wanted a way to apply some of the experience he gained in building his own stroker to help others.

And no, I don't really know Jeff personally. I'm just a guy that happened to buy one of his throttle bodies.

Dave

Last edited:
well if my good recomendation is guna hurt some one them simply ignore what i wrote but if you dont feel like blaming people for something that their not trying to do then just understand that i was very hapy and thought it was a good deal and just wanted to pass on the experiance as well.

Yeah, don't take anything on the internet too seriously. If that wasn't spamming or advertising, what I said shoudn't apply, but I'm sorry if you got offended anyways. Rep is one of my biggest factors in choosing a company to buy from. That post and your low thread count seemed pretty suspicious though. It's just nothing pisses me off more on these boards than spammers--it happens all the time on a site aimed at newbs I visit sometimes. In any case, welcome to the board. party1:

Back