• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

In that case, my name will be Rusty Shakleford

discosteve

NAXJA Forum User
Got this the other day. 86 mj 2.5 5spd 4x4. I walked into the local parts store one day and the lady behind the counter said "how many jeep have you had"? and i said " ive had 4 altogether, why?" and she said i could have her comanche if i came and got it tonight. apparently she was in a rough relationship with a guy and for whatever reason had to get rid of the truck before he got his hands on it. either way its in my garage and ive got the title. My girlfriend didnt believe me when i told her, but who cares what she thinks ITS A FREE MJ! but it is pretty rough, gonna try and bug-bomb it tonight. later on a few days i gotta bleed the clutch and figure out why it starts and dies. theres a thread in the mj section here.

plan is to get it going, soa rear lift, 4in front, swap axles after these break, and trow a set of 33in nitto trailgrapplers on ive got laying around.

10420014_10204386589095487_7430324382765764257_n_zpsbe4ac09a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Who are you? :D

Im glad somebody remembers me. Well, after dicking around with hotrods and musclecars ive decided to get back into wheelin. And the mj came at just the right time. Im elbow deep in another drivetrain swap in my 72 duster. I blew the 360 when i lived in arizona last summer. But im back in indiana and in the process of swapping in a 440. But im also trying to buy a house and get married blah blah blah my life is over. I got everything done to swap the new 440 and 727 and re-gear the rear in the duster. But building the engine and trans the way i want is going to cost more coin than i can shell out right now. My old boss at the speed shop has stopped doing any engine machining as he only does full on restos now. But in the meantime i figured i could have some fun with the comanche. I really started to miss jeeps when i tried to wheel my fullsize 87 dodge w150. It was like shoving a football in a coffee straw. Anyways, its good to be back.

Discosteve is in the house...welcome back brother......

Welcome back to the midwest sir!

mac 'ready for the suit at winterfest' gyvr

Still got the suit. if i can make it to winterfest ill wear it.

Anybody ran ford ranger coils? I know they are stiff as hell and ride awful but i scored a set of 4in lift coils from a 90s ranger. i was thinking of slapping them on after i do the soa in the rear and see how it sits. I was just curious if anybody has done something similar.

SOA in the rear will get you 4ish.

no idea on the ranger coils

when are we going to cut this motha up and run a frame width flat bed? You might as well just do it, cause if you wheel it the bedsides are gonna be wasted.

nah, i think ill keep the bed on it. at least until it falls off. i havent touched it all week. been busy looking at houses, and my girlfriend was in the ER. but hopefully today i can mess with it

Got the mj to run..... kindof. But progress is progress. After I get a few engine bugs worked out I`ll start getting the slave cyl lined out. Gonna try and bleed it first, if it seems crappy I`ll just replace it. The steering gearbox is POURING fluid out. I think I`ll either swap one from a grand cherokee or possibly a dakota (heard they`d fit).

Not sure on the gear ratio on the axles yet. Gonna have to run em til I can find alxes at pull-a-part for cheap.

*Happy 500 posts to me

Not sure on the gear ratio on the axles yet. Gonna have to run em til I can find alxes at pull-a-part for cheap.

*Happy 500 posts to me

dakota box will fit.

4 banger 5 speed should have 4.10s.
4 banger 4 speeds got 3.55's.

It only took me 5 years to get to 500. But I was gone for almost 3 of them. I hope it has 4.10s, i have a 4.10 no name ring and pinion for an 8.25 i was saving for the duster (it also has an 8.25. But it already has 3.55s in it and after I get the 440 goin I`d like to move up to an 8 3/4. But 4.10s would be shaweet In the mj especially with the 33s.

But 4.10s would be shaweet In the mj especially with the 33s.

4 banger is not exactly the pinnacle of power, especially the early TBI ones. Maybe 90 horse? I mean think about it, the 2.8 V6 was the upgrade from the 4 banger....

better find you some 4.56's.

yeah i realize power will be an issue. but oh well, its what i got for right now. someday id like to swap a 4.0 in.

Back