• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Just registered for WF and made the hotel reservations.....looks like its a go. JR will be making the trek out with me this year, should be a good time.

Cheese "looking forward to it" Man

My jeep hasnt been started or touched since I left Iowa. Sis and Jed show no interest in even trying to start it (which they told me they would while I was gone). About ready to try talking Nick86 into going and starting it. lol

Has anybody ever had the captured nut for the upper shackle bolt break loose on them? Think one of them on the Jeep broke free. Any advise on getting in there to fix it?

My jeep hasnt been started or touched since I left Iowa. Sis and Jed show no interest in even trying to start it (which they told me they would while I was gone). About ready to try talking Nick86 into going and starting it. lol
I can make that happen, give me a holller 641 420 one six 38

Has anybody ever had the captured nut for the upper shackle bolt break loose on them? Think one of them on the Jeep broke free. Any advise on getting in there to fix it?

Yea... it sucks. Not sure if I hate that more or less than the front leaf spring eye bolt. I've learned to deal with the front bolts a lot better.

Take the bumper off.

Your next step is determining if the bolt is seized to the shackle eye bushing. If so, it's going to suck. In that case, your basic approach is cutting the bolt on either side of the shackle, between the shackle and the shackle box. The bolt head falls off the outside, and the captured nut with the remaining bolt in it can be removed from the inside. They might be too big to get out, and you'll have to take a reciprocating saw and open up the hole on the back of the frame rail to get it out. At the end of all this your shackle is useless now, for the pain in the ass of pressing in a new bushing I would probably buy a new shackle.

If the bolt is not seized to the shackle, then start with opening the hole on the back of the frame anyway. Then you can stick a thin wall socket over the captured nut, attach a ratchet or breaker bar to hold it, and work the bolt out.

Upon reinstallation you can use a Grade 8 9/16" bolt and nut if you'd like, I can't remember the correct metric size of the original. Then you can install a set of high quality HD Offroad shackle relocation boxes and never have to deal with the captured nut again :)

Thanks Brad. We actually had that bolt out this summer when we put the lift on so I know it isn't seized in there. Will fix this problem when we do axle swap.

I took tonight off work...

Long story short, had training tues/wed and only worked half a night on monday so why work tonight when fri/sat are my days off this week...

almost a week off by taking one day off.

mac 'sometimes it works out' gyvr

I don't know how you do it mac. I used to work 3rd shift and just couldn't do it. Could never get use to sleeping during the day.

Back