• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Heard about the storms on FB, hope y'all down there are alright! Strange though, aside from cloudy skies and some light rain it was way warm today. Like windows down warm.

I must have missed this. You found one?

Yeah, 3 br 2 bath on 3 acres out in the county. Attached garage, 2 doors but it will hold 4 cars. I will post a link later once I find it on the phone.

We had a tornado touch down south of town, leveled a few houses and knocked down trees and power lines. Got called out for awhile, sitting at the part time job now.

Yeah, 3 br 2 bath on 3 acres out in the county. Attached garage, 2 doors but it will hold 4 cars. I will post a link later once I find it on the phone.

Party at Byron's! :D congrats!

Got windy and t storms here. All is quiet. Glad we have power, walking dead is on and this is the first Sunday I've had off in months.

:(

need my phone-a-friend tonight at work...

mac 'bored' gyvr

Scattered damage and power out around here.

No word on any official tornadoes touching down.

Grace's sisters live less than a mile from each other about 5 miles south of us, they haven't had power since this afternoon. Near where they live 7 poles are snapped in half from the weather. We are guarding down power lines all over town.

All that said, we didn't get the brunt of it thankfully.

mac 'lose power a lot less since i bought a generator...odd how that works' gyvr

The worst of the storms went around Terre Haute, like it almost always does. In the future, if there is a stormy weekend predicted on a weekend, we might end up going to church. A friend is scared of storms and works at it so she has keys. On top of that, there isn't a basement at either her house or ours, but there is a giant one at church. I am not scared of storms, but if it is like today and very high risk, better safe then sorry.

Scattered damage and power out around here.

No word on any official tornadoes touching down.

Grace's sisters live less than a mile from each other about 5 miles south of us, they haven't had power since this afternoon. Near where they live 7 poles are snapped in half from the weather. We are guarding down power lines all over town.

All that said, we didn't get the brunt of it thankfully.

mac 'lose power a lot less since i bought a generator...odd how that works' gyvr

A guy I know watched a downed live wire burn through his black top driveway for 3 hours before the power company came and shut it off.

We are guarding downed live wires because it's not a priority for them to come out...

I don't know what a priority is for them...

mac 'or how they aren't sued more often' gyvr

We are guarding downed live wires because it's not a priority for them to come out...

I don't know what a priority is for them...

mac 'or how they aren't sued more often' gyvr

I know quite a few guys that work for the power companies around me, they get paid ALOT of money to do very little work.

I work building the power lines here in Texas. Believe me when I say the people like me in the field do not get as much money as you may think. The people in the office and people that work for the power company it's self make the money. But the ones like me that build the lines don't get their pay, trust me.

As far as priority on downed lines.... You have to get the hospitals and such up first then it's everyone else. Sorry just the way it is. You have to start from the beginning after that. We do not jump to the middle or the end to fix things as that just wouldn't make sense. There is always a plan whether the consumer likes it or not. It also takes time to fix this stuff. This ain't "I dream of genie" we can not twitch our nose and have it fixed. Sorry just not how it works.

Befor I started working in the power line industry I thought like y'all are now. Why ain't my power back on yet...... Now though, being in it I know how long it takes to do things.

When the hurricane went and hit Houston a few years back I was there for that as a non power line person then. It took almost two weeks to get power back to our area. Don't worry bout two days.....

Not trying to sound mean, it's just the way it is.

Around here the power going out means massive line truck movement on the highways, but remember, if there are high tension lines down, they need to handle the bigger stuff first. Once all the big lines are fixed they can move on to the medium voltage systems and low voltage distribution lines in individual neighborhoods. Anything else is putting bandaids on someone's fingers when their back is broken.

We had a tornado warning yesterday, probably due to the same storm front you guys got nailed with, but being New England it didn't actually do anything. We've had a few tornados in recent years but they were all tame EF0/1s and maybe a 2 but I doubt it.

One missed my house by half a mile the day I moved out of my apartment.

I know quite a few guys that work for the power companies around me, they get paid ALOT of money to do very little work.

Not in my area. Come work with me for a few days building the power lines and you will see how much work we really do. You must be thinking of the desk jockeys. lol.

Back