• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm a CJ owner going to XJ or ZJ. Why an XJ?

I had a ZJ just a few months ago until a diesel F-350 ate it for breakfast. After that i decided to get an XJ because of the more aftermarket products. I liked ride on the ZJ better than my XJ, but that might be becasue I had an RE kit on the ZJ and rustys on my XJ. But i did not like how the ZJ had all time 4wd. Over all id say go XJ!

i like them both my 94 zj makes a better dd, has less gremlins than my 88 xj, but i have a b&m transcooler that may be saved my tranny, my zj has 200k miles and i use it to pull my xj to trails. i love them both, but i put xj over zj for trail rig, there are cheaper parts to be found for xjs. i have had more problems out of my xj none major though.

If you are moving to Colorado I would seriously consider getting an XJ with the NP242 TCase. Having the extra power up front really pays off in the snow and you don't have to worry about switching between 2WD and full 4WD all of the time. I've been wheeling a stock XJ that is also my DD for several years. It's amazing what a stock XJ will do with proper tire placement.

The HO 4.0L's are actually quite quick off of the line if you have 28's and 3:55 gears. They won't kill you on gas either.

BTW: Did you post the same questions on a ZJ site? Does one even exist?:jester:

mizedog said:
I like the XJ for it's nice, square, utilitarian looks. But, I'm drawn to the ZJ for it's motor choice, "updated" look, plush interior (ok don't laugh - this would be a DD for me!).

If I got a ZJ, It would be for the power mostly, but I'd put in a better rear axle (a reall D44, etc.), chromemolly shafts up front, maybe a 231 t-case and 7" long arm kit from Kevin's Offroad w/ 35s.
For the same money, I could get a 2001 with fairly low miles.

gregmondro said:
ZJ's dont have a REAL d44.

they have a D44A.

it has an aluminum housing and the regular 44 parts are not interchangeable.

It looks like you know that the D44a in the ZJ is't what you want offroad.

I pulled a heavy 71 hard side pop up with mine, But I'm in Kansas, where the hills are much smaller. :D

The people are nicer here at Naxja, than other sites, for the most part. :D

If you get the XJ, welcome to NAXJA...
If you get the ZJ, good luck..:shocked:

(that's a joke since you don't know me and my humor style.)

DAryl

First lesson:
Behave around XJ owners 'cause even though I'm 6'4" and 290lbs, XJ owners are huge and could put me in my place :shocked:

But here's another question:
Does the B pillar get in your way when getting in/out or just leaning out the window to see the tires? My thought was to get 2 door, but the kids will be getting bigger and will want their own doors.

mizedog said:
So, tell me why I should go XJ and not ZJ, please.
buy a ZJ so you dont make dumb requests like this here anymore...

he wont have to......

nagca.com

don't try and make it out to be like there isn't any aftermarket support or fellow Jeepers that have ZJs and are willing to provide tech support.......

wall04 said:
If you are moving to Colorado I would seriously consider getting an XJ with the NP242 TCase. Having the extra power up front really pays off in the snow and you don't have to worry about switching between 2WD and full 4WD all of the time. I've been wheeling a stock XJ that is also my DD for several years. It's amazing what a stock XJ will do with proper tire placement.

The HO 4.0L's are actually quite quick off of the line if you have 28's and 3:55 gears. They won't kill you on gas either.

BTW: Did you post the same questions on a ZJ site? Does one even exist?:jester:
for the most part, ZJs either have the 249 (which uses a VC) and provides the same sort of full time awd that the 242 is capable of.

I believe the 242 is also an option on ZJs.

plus it's not like you can't swap a 231 in if you wanted a more traditional transfer case.

mizedog said:
If you think the 4.0L is enough to get around the mountains ok, that sound good to me.

For the same money, I could get a 2001 with fairly low miles.
2001 is a wj not a zj. 2 different creatures. i have a 2000 wj and it is soooo much nicer than my xj. but then again my xj is a 89. my wj has the 4.0 and that thing will get up and go. but even with the wj rear seat passengers dont want to be to tall. i cant sit in the back unless the front seat is almost all the way forward but its just right for kids. if this is gonna be a dd i say get the wj just for the comfort. the seats are much nicer than the xj's. then just find you a cheep xj and build it to what you want.

I was actually referring to a 2001 XJ, not a ZJ or WJ (although I'm sure the WJ's are plush - just don't like the low gas tank). I'd be looking for the newest XJ available so I can drive it for a few years as a DD.

Who knows, maybe I can get a fairly stock SUV and keep the CJ for the rocks. However, further research in this site showed plenty of pictures of XJs on the rocks!! Looks like I may not have to consider XJ ownership as limiting. I guess it's just that the XJs in my club (the Dirt Devils) are limited to 33's and below and stay away from Johnson Valley. They do, however have fun all over Big Bear, and Moab. Jesse May, our pres proves his XJ goes and goes.

XJ_ranger said:
buy a ZJ so you dont make dumb requests like this here anymore...
Sorry to bother you, XJ_ranger. I don't see why XJ vs ZJ is a dumb request. I would think you XJ owners would give me the low down - even the stuff you don't like about the XJs. I'm not going to assume that just because this is an XJ forum I'm going to get 100% pros on XJs. Heck, they're not perfect just like the CJs aren't perfect. However, if you ever want to know about CJs, I don't mind you asking me. Can't we all just get along...

Last edited:
I'm 5'6", 155lbs, and i have no problems with head room or leg room in my 99 cherokee.

that was a bit of a joke. the seats do suck though. I swapped in a corbeau baja ss, and i love it soooooo much better.

my bad, missunderstood you. one of the things i dont like about the xj is the unibody. friend of mine just picked up a 98 zj with 12k miles on it for $10k. i dont think it has ever been rained on. up untill he bought it, it had never been in 4wd.

its funny asking a XJ vs ZJ question on an XJ site. of course XJ!

I had a 2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab lifted and I wheeled the hell out of it and never had a problem. Great truck, Gas milage sucked.
Now I own a 1990 XJ limited and all I can say is that I love my POS. I can do every trail I did with my truck, It's a much better DD because of it size, it's easier to fit in trails and it's amazing how it handles in the dunes/rocks/mud/ruts. I'm falling in love with my XJ.
I only have 33" tires and I can do almost anything the big guys can. I can fit everything in my cargo area and things don't get wet. I fit my 2 kids, my wife and a friend and I can be wheeling all day long with zero problems.

I want to correct something someone said above. ZJ's come with 42RE trannies (4.0 and 5.2 engine) this tranny is a Piece of Crap, the 46RE (wich is not a bad tranny, cause my Ram had one and I never ever had a problem with it) comes only in the 5.9.

Just my 2 cents

....nagca.com for the second time lol.

and also, to correct HotChiliRam, who corrected me.

the 42re's are only in the 4.0l ZJs. The v8s come with a 46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines
or
44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

the inline 6's are the ones with shitty transmissions...not the v8s.
more info available on nagca.com
http://www.nagca.com/grandtech/grandtranslist.htm

Last edited:
Back